4.0 out of 5 stars Glamour Cakes
Published on 17 Nov. 2008 by W. Bedford

1.0 out of 5 stars It's the same book as "Glamour Cakes"
I ordered both "Glamour cakes" and this book, but had to wait for this one to be delivered as it wasn't released yet. I was quite pleased with Glamour cakes, but when this one arrived today it turned out to be the exact same book, just with a different title and cover design. So don't be fooled, only buy one or the other, not both! In itself, not a bad book tough.
Published on 22 Feb. 2011 by CandyflossGoth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars It's the same book as "Glamour Cakes", 22 Feb. 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Glamour Cakes, 17 Nov. 2008
W. Bedford (Bury St. Edmunds,, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glamours Cake Decorating: Exquisite Designs for Every Occasion (Hardcover)
This is a nicely produced book. The recipes in the front are very useful. Some of the ideas for cakes are lovely however the techniques leave a little to be desired by a British sugarcrafter. 'Covering a cake with marzipan' shows a badly shaped cake but no attempt is made to correct it before covering. 'Working with fresh flowers' shows how to wire fresh flowers and then suggests they can be inserted straight into the cake! Taping the wire of a sweet peas - starting at the free end and working up to the flower and then dampening the tape to hold it in place!???? The cake 'Champagne Bubbles' and 'Baroque Splendour'the royal icing 'bubbles' all have points on them and the 'Butterfly Tower' of individual cakes - again the wired butterflies are all pushed straight into the cakes. Finally 'American Retro' describes the ribbons around the base of each stacked cake being held in place by a pin!

Although I am sure he is a brilliant patissier I would not recommend this book to anyone starting sugarcraft; however he has some very good ideas which could be adapted by those with some experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality finishes, 8 Sept. 2009
Mrs. T. M. Conod (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Look closely at the finishes on some of these cakes, you would think for a photograph in a book the decorator would make sure the finish was their best effort wouldn't you? Wires stuck directly into cake, I didn't think that was approved of in the cake world.
I had this book in my shopping basket but fortunately saw a copy a friend had bought and quickly removed it! Don't waste your money when there are many more quality decorating books out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars just has it shown full of glamour, 13 July 2011
Glamour Cakes was bought after watching his cake t.v.shows, it is a very easy book to follow with very clear instructions. I was very disappointed to find that the Master Cakes book that I bought at the same time as Glamour Cakes was just the SAME but with a different book cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars okish, 30 Oct. 2008
Irene Gabellone "Eneri" (Italy) - See all my reviews
I bought this book while I was on holiday in London and I thought that is was interesting. It has various common recepies but also has some french ones like creme patisserie and also what it seems to be a good choccolate plastique recepie. A design (square white chocolate cake with cherries decorations) seemed copied from Marta Stewart'book or maybe she copied? I don't know. Some nice techniques are explained like how to build a separator to host flowers and how to copy a "Toile de Jouy" pattern on a cake. As I was in London I was curious about tasting his cakes so I went to his patisserie "the cake boy.", i tasted a couple of different cakes and unfortunately i must say that they were uneatable, tasted like the ready made stuff found in discount supermarket! That put me off actually trying the recepies from the book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissaponited, 20 Mar. 2014
I had expected a book full of recipes to bake cakes, other than a few very standard recipes the book was more into the realms of decorating them. If I want a book on decorating cakes I would purchase a book by an expert on royal icing techniques not roll out fondant! It was at the local charity shop the day after it arrived as I was so angry about its lack of interesting/unusual recipes and even the decorative part of the book was not intriguing enough to inspire me. If anything it might suit a raw beginner but certainly not anyone who has used books by more intricate designers. If you want a good book on baking cakes with plenty of variety in flavours and textures try some of the ones available through amazon from America they are amazing!

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible book - in many ways, 6 Oct. 2012
I was very excited to order this book but it fails in some many ways firstly the page numbers dont correspond with the instructions. The chocolate marquise well mine was disasterous it looked nothing like the picture. The ingredients were wasted on this awful sponge. The instructions didnt correspond with the picture of the layering and was so shallow it had to be haulted and return to a more traditonal bake. He states chocolate mousse but this was far from a mousse. I thought the recipes could be more adventurous for the sponge cakes.

I will be selling this on e-bay. Nothing inspirational. Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Master Cakes, 10 Sept. 2011
I bought this cake for inspiration but sadly wasnt impressed, the cake recipes are not bad but the decorating wasnt wat I was expecting from a book entitled "Master Cakes"

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Lanlard's Master Cakes Book, 9 July 2011
Teejay Knight "Icing Art" (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I really like this book it has very clear step by step instructions on how to acheive various outcomes for your cakes. The pictures of his cakes are very clear and real. I really like the striped chocolate effect. I feel that this book would suit both amature and proffesional cake people. I reccomend it's a book worth buying. As well as cakes there is recipe and instructions for a croquembouche and a good way to use macaroons. Overall a good book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointing, 8 Nov. 2009
Gateauphile (Christchurch, NZ) - See all my reviews
Oh Eric, why couldn't you trim and clean your fingernails before having the close-ups taken?

I wonder what the target market is for this book. Not many non-professionals would want to go to the expense and trouble of creating cakes like this, and if they did, I doubt if Eric provides enough detail. I'm sure Eric is a superb craftsman, but this book falls short of the high standard set by books such as the Roux Brothers' classic work on patisserie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Glamours Cake Decorating: Exquisite Designs for Every Occasion
Glamours Cake Decorating: Exquisite Designs for Every Occasion by Eric Lanlard (Hardcover - 15 Jun. 2008)
Used & New from: £1.07