on 5 February 2009
I confess that my review only applies to the designs, I haven't knitted from this book yet so I can't comment on how well the patterns have been written. However, knowing how difficult it is to choose a knitting book from the internet without being able to look through it first I thought I would say that this book has a high proportion of appealing patterns in it and I'm very pleased with it. There is a good mix of boy and girl patterns, the boys' patterns are equally appealling, something often lacking from other books. Many of the designs are in cotton (Rowan cotton glace, handknit, Jaeger aqua which is discontinued) which I like, but there are also a couple of lovely wool aran designs. Most are in DK weight or bigger. There is a section of toys and a section of 'nursery items' but the bulk of the patterns are for clothes. There are a couple of very nice intarsia jumpers but the basic patterns are quite similar. The Jaeger yarns that are used are easily substitued. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to knit for a child 0-4 years.
on 5 November 2007
I love every pattern in this book, I don't own any of her other books but I think she may have recycled some of her patterns (one at least was on front cover of one of her other books) but that is not a problem for me. The patterns are all really cute, it was hard to decide what to make first.

Beware though that I have found inaccuracies in both the patterns I have knitted, some quite obvious, some not so. This would be a particular issue for knitters not quite so experienced as it is quite difficult to figure out what you really are supposed to be doing.

Also making up instructions are vague if not not non-existing, which again is not really a problem for experienced knitters but can be a huge issue for newer knitters. For example i knitted a baby bootie and the finished piece is very complkicated to fold before stitching together, but there was no mention of making up beyond the "and now cast off" line.

This is a huge shame, it does feel like no-one checked the patterns through befgore publishing. But because the patterns are such all-round winners I have still given it 5 stars.
on 30 October 2010
I ordered this as a gift for my mother-in-law and I wasn't disappointed and neither was she. The book has some lovely modern designs but some still have a traditional edge which keeps everyone happy! Would definitely recommend this book. I am going to buy another for a Christmas gift too!
on 21 August 2012
How disappointing - another book of generally uninspiring patterns, padded out by blankets, toys and even a puppet theatre. There are some quite nice items for babies aged 6 months and upwards but the birth to six month size items are very limited, there are a few hats, mittens and bootees in luxury yarns, some blankets and a hideous all in one thing that no mother would wish on her newborn, but nothing at all that was particularly exciting. The majority of the patterns stipulate either Debbie Bliss or Jaeger yarns - so definitely top end knitwear, sadly the designs just don't come up to scratch in my view - a very pricey book for what it is - think this one will be heading for the charity shop.
on 30 August 2010
I love the designs, but I find it incredulous that some of the yarns in the patterns were discontinued before the book was published. Rowan Cork, for example, which is required for several patterns was discontinued in 2005.