5.0 out of 5 stars This is for me!!!
Published on 18 Mar 2008 by Gwyneth Davies

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic: there are better knitwear design books out there
I was disappointed with this book. I thought it was thin and I resent being asked to pay for proportional graph paper which I can download from the web.
I didn't find anything here that made me feel: aha, that was worth the price of the book. Not one for keeping.
Published on 28 Feb 2011 by S. Bonfanti

5.0 out of 5 stars This is for me!!!, 18 Mar 2008
This review is from: Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps (Paperback)
I really like this book. It is logical and easy to follow and does not use the "you are holding your needles in the wrong way" mentality I usually find in books about design. It is for the new generation of knitters who want to start to design their own projects and as a beginner in this area myself, I was particularly pleased to find socks and hats as well as sweaters, so I can start with something easy and work towards the more difficult areas.
There is a lovely section about colour and finding inspiration, beautifully illustrated with photographs and reproduction of paintings.
There is also a lot of graph paper to practice on, which, if like me, you are fond of intarsia and fairisle, you will find useful. I have not used the proportional graph paper and was interested to see how much easier it is to transfer a design using this paper.
I have tried to design a sweater myself in the past, without much success with the sleeves, reading this book I can see why, for which I am really grateful and can't wait to try again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most helpful knit design book ever, 27 Mar 2008
J. A. Welsh (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps (Paperback)
This is an amazingly readable book, with clear but not patronising explanations; deals with design basics such as how to measure precisely, and to work out shapings. The section on specification drawing was particularly helpful for me, as was the discussion of choice of yarn for texture and drape, and the guidance on calculating yarn quantities.
Demonstrates all principles and techniques with very clear diagrams and schematics.
Has given me (after 35 years of knitting!) the confidence finally to design a garment myself. Thanks and well-done, Debbie!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Oaks Will Grow, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps (Paperback)
Simply fabulous. As an addicted knitter I've attempted design before and failed miserably. This book answers all my questions by taking an easy to follow approach without being patronising.......(so many knitting books take you right back to complete beginner knitter stage and this does not). I'm sure my next design attempt will be much more successful, now I have the help with shaping and sizing. The special knitters graph paper at the back is really hard to get hold of now, so I was really pleased this was also included. Basic shapes and then the adaptations for different sleeve types, necklines, and lots of hints and tips are included. Would recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic: there are better knitwear design books out there, 28 Feb 2011
S. Bonfanti - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy....uninspiring and disappointing ! ., 5 Mar 2008
This review is from: Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps (Paperback)
This book purports to cover knitwear design in 5 EASY steps. So basic that they would be boring to anyone who has already done some knitting. Only those who have would be likely to buy this book. It is completely uninspiring, and on some subjects almost no constructive help at all, eg colour and intarsia knitting and cablework. Then there are 48 pages of knitters graph paper, this about 33% of the whole book ! One of the most important measurements is missed out altogether, being from the nape of the neck to the wrist. Helpful for those who always end up with sleeves too long ! Some chapters on adapting patterns to fit would have been good too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps (Paperback)
I found this book unpleasant to use. It was full of general comments such as 'tension is important' but the section on making & measuring a tension square was not much more than you get in a pattern book. I have found better, more in-depth tutorials on the internet.

I prefer a more explanatory tone (Maggie Richetti's design book worked better for me) with insight into WHY things like tension are important. It helps me understand and remember.

If you are good at interpreting plain instructions, you could use this book, but if you like things explained, don't bother with it.

And yes, way too much graph paper! It felt like they ran out of ideas and filled it up with blank pages.

Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps
Design Your Own Knits in 5 Easy Steps by Debbie Abrahams (Paperback - 15 Feb 2008)
Used & New from: £4.52