5.0 out of 5 stars A LIFE SAVER!
We have found this book a life saver. Our daughter is 4 years old and has always had a problem with sleep and with another one on the way we wanted to get her sorted. We have been to the Millpond Clinic itself and now have bought the book.
The book is easy to follow and has realistic ways of sorting problems out. Nothing is too far fetched or difficult to follow and...
Published on 29 Mar 2006 by cracknell14

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected - disappointed.
I bought this book in the hope of being able to help my breastfed 7 month old begin to sleep through the night - and I returned it the day after it arrived. The descriptions and other reviews led me to believe that the book (perhaps due to my sleep deprivation and desperation to get some sleep!) might present a new approach to dealing with poor sleep habits etc, but it...
Published on 30 Aug 2009 by Book Worm

5.0 out of 5 stars So thankful to have found this book, 9 Nov 2013
M. D. "Milena" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Sleep: Solving Sleep Problems from Newborn Through Childhood (Hamlyn Health) (Paperback)
This book has been a life saver for us. As parents of a 3.5year old who stopped sleeping well half a year ago and progressively was waking up to 10 times a night, we found the advice and options in this book incredibly helpful. The book is structured in a really straightforward way, easy to digest and to the point. The advice is measured, non-judgemental and offers a good variety of options to suit different family set ups. It covers sleep issues in both babies and toddlers and hence, very useful for anyone with an older bad sleeper. I really loved the Q&A's helping with identifying specific sleep problems and the related strategies to tackle those.

The problem with our daughter not sleeping well has been pretty specific and we adapted the advice provided in the book to match it. She potty trained at night very quickly, as soon as she turned 3. As a result, she started waking at night and would ask to be taken to the loo. Over time the wakings became more frequent and included all sorts of random requests about rearranging her duvet, giving her more water etc. She also started having night terrors on occasion.

My husband and I were at loss as to what to do. After we read the book, we realised we have been pretty inconsistent in responding to our daughter's night calls. In a way we have indadvertedly conditioned her to expect our attention every time she stirred at night. In order to help her to sleep better, we decided to introduce the sleep fairy (as advised in the book), which would bring her a little present every night she improved on one thing we asked her to. To start with, we asked our daughter to come out of her room if she needed us, as we waited for her outside the door, instead of going in her room. After 3 days of doing that, we moved a few feet away from her door, and expected her to come to us. Both my husband and I adopted the same behaviour when communicating with our daughter at night. I always used to give lots of cuddles, carry her, or hold her hand to and from the toilet. My husband on the other hand, was a lot more minimal with his responses to her. Now we both talk to her quietly, but do not hold hands and expect her to do more for herself.

The little presents from the sleep fairy have been incredibly motivating. It basically means our daughter is in a sort of win-win situation, as bar one night, she has managed to keep up with our simple requests and receive a reward as soon as she wakes in the morning. The immediate gratification for good behaviour has given her a great confidence boost and she seems a lot more at ease at navigating her room and the toilet trips without much assistance now.

I cannot stress enough the importance of a regular bedtime. It is something discussed on several occasions in the book, and I believe it has contributed massively towards our daughter's improved sleep. Prior to the new 'system', we used to vary her bedtime by up to 1.5 hrs, depending on how tired she looked. Now we switch off the TV at 6.15pm, she has quiet time for 30 mins, and goes upstairs at 6.45pm. She is usually asleep by 7.15pm. We still use the Gro Clock which our daughter has had for 1.5 years now. However we moved the wake up time forward by 30 mins, so the sun comes up at 6.30am for her. We did that as she went through a period of couple of months of waking at 4.30-5am and not wanting to go to sleep again, but getting bored in her room waiting for the sun to come up. Having the sun come up earlier now means her 'night' flows smoother and she has stopped calling for us in the early part of the morning. We plan to slowly push it back towards 7am when she is properly settled in good sleep habits.

Within 3 days of the new routine, our daughter started waking only twice a night, for genuine toilet trips. After 4 more days, she started sleeping through the whole night and has done for 3 days now. She has not had any night terror since we introduced the new routine either.

In a way we did a version of a gradual retreat that the book talks about and feel, given our daughter's age and general aptitude, that was more appropriate that controlled crying. Not only we feel more human again, but we finally feel back in control of our nights. Any parent who has gone through months and months of broken night's sleep and at the end of their tether, will benefit from reading this book. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must have for parents that can't get a full nights sleep!, 8 April 2013
Some practical advice and guidence for parents. Was great for my husband to read and for us to discuss the right way to sleep train our 2nd child. After our first child easily sleep though the night at 6mths and was easy to put to bed. We did not expect to have a problem with our second child. This book really helped us sort it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars teach your baby to sleep.....and it works....he now sleeps!, 7 April 2009
L. Abeal "brummymolly" (birmingham, uk) - See all my reviews
originally i borrowed this from the library and it was such an excellent book i had to buy it for future reference. recommended to anyone with a baby or toddler who has trouble sleeping. it really helped us with our 5 month old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible, practical and effective, 28 April 2008
Margaret (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I feel like I had read about a million books by nanny experts and theorists about how to get your child to sleep and none of them seemed quite right until I came across this book. It does not treat the parent as some sort of neurotic, well meaning but slightly useless creature but empowers you to make a sensible choice of technique which is appropriate to you and your individual child, and which addresses specific sleep issues from night waking, to early rising. Highly recommended for anyone with a baby or child who would like to know how it feels to get eight hours sleep again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness for this book!, 16 Feb 2013
My son since he was 12 weeks old has always slept through the night (apart from when he was not well). So when in December he started waking up screaming at 2am every night I knew something was wrong. I asked friends who have children the same age and typically they told me that their child had no problems sleeping! Great help that was as by now I was totally shattered and had a child who was tired, not eating well and really not himself. I was recommended this book by a health visitor and I have to say that it is the best child related book I have bought. After doing what was suggested my son sleeps though the night and is so much happier. They should hand this book to you when you leave hospital with your baby!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good guide., 3 Mar 2014
This book was recommended to me by my health visitor. My baby is 5 months old and the advice was an extremely useful practical guide and it has helped us with a few problems that we were having. It enables you pick out what advice suits you and apply it to your own individual situation and in the very least it helps you understand your child's pattern of sleep. It has advice for those up to 6 years old so I am sure that I will be referring to it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Millpond Approach is Excellent, 4 Jun 2013
This book is supportive, informative and works. I have not read many baby books but this is a must have even if your not having problems or issues because it informs and prepares you, calmly, for those hiccups that come with growth spurts, holidays (time changes), illness and normal baby development. We cracked our "Settling to sleep" issue in two nights and everyone (including our neighbors) are delighted!

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear, research-based, simple... if you're brave!, 13 May 2013
This book offers the clearest and most straight-forward approach with clear rationale but only use this book if you are happy to do controlled crying. The bottom line is: do you believe that controlled crying has no long-term impact on your child? This book says it does not, and it's the fasted way to get good results. Whatever you choose to do, for the wee baby, please be consistent.

Well written, concise, good structure for analysing current issues and then offering appropriate solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for parents, 29 Mar 2013
I have turned to this book each time I hit a point when I just don't know what to do, and each time there is a simple easy solution written in this book. Thank you Millpond for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 12 Feb 2013
Maria Motuzova (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This book is very useful, should be given for free to every new mum to be!!!!! Very easy to use, clear in instructions, obviously written by sleep specialists. We haven't solved our sleeping problems yet, but we are on a good track, surely thanks to advises that we found in this book.

8.79