5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy and enjoyable

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 1 Oct 2007 by H. B. Hosegoood

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 1 Oct 2007
H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hats Gloves Scarves: Easy Designer Knits for Family and Friends (The Craft Library) (Paperback)
I haven't written a bad book review before, but I was so cross with this book that I wanted to make my feeling known. I love Louisa's designs in general, but I hate to be treated like an idiot by publishers. I knitted the brown 'Brimming with Style' pattern. Pretty much as soon as I got started I realized that the hat in the picture was not worked following the pattern. Still, I finished it in the hope I was mistaken - I wasn't. The pattern brim is knitted sideways and is a mere two stitches shorter than the body of the hat, but in the photo the main part of the hat is much deeper. There is no way that the hat in the photos was knitted from the pattern provided - it has been knitted with a different yarn and the instructions have been written to try to fit in. They don't. This is a big con and shouldn't be allowed. Now I won't even try the other patterns in case the same is true of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 5 Jan 2008
RiaAnn (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to agree, after 3 very frustrating attempts at the "Brimming with Style" hat pattern I gave up, as it looked like a lampshade - something very wrong in this pattern. However the gloves and scarf I have knitted, both turned out lovely, and I will certainly knit some more gifts from this book.
The claim that "Every accessory can be knitted in just a few hours" is also a gross exageration in my opinion.
As this was published in 2005 some of the yarns are now disconntinued so be prepared to substitute.
A good variety of pattens to suit all skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy and enjoyable, 19 Dec 2005
Candi Says (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I really enjoyed this book. The designs are pretty basic, but with nice touches and they are so simple they could be finished in a night. There are a few patterns of each garment and they are all knitted in easy to find UK yarns - Jaeger, Rowan, RYC and Debbie Bliss. The instructions are clearly set out and easy to follow. The designs also could easily be adapted to add your own ideas and yarn/colour ideas. Its also very handy to have these kind of patterns to hand in case of any emergency presents, or you want a quick fix but can't afford the yarn to make a bigger project!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good projects, 10 Jan 2010
D. Took "Debbie Took" (UK) - See all my reviews
I have knitted two beautiful moss stitch scarves from this book (husband and son wear them all the time), and a beanie hat, which was easy but impressed everyone!

However, the 'Brimming with Style' pattern did not produce a hat that looks like the one in the photo'. BUT...I didn't use the recommended yarn and have found a blogger that did make the hat, in the recommended yarn, and it looked fine. Please note, as I (and others) have been confused - the hat does not have a turn-back rim, as the photo 'appears' to show. The section looks turned back as the wraps/turns in the pattern make this slightly larger than the rest. Think 'flounce' rather than turn-back. So, jury's out...I would have thought a hat asking for chunky yarn would work in any chunky yarn, but this one didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 16 April 2013
I really wanted this book having seen it in my local library and after seeing it at Amazon, and the price was perfect, its a brilliant book if you like knitting and it arrived before the expected delivery date I will definitely buy from this seller again

10.54
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available