on 17 May 2009
I'm not what you'd call a natural cook, but I do like making soup. I wasn't looking for a recipe book when I spotted this, but I bought it anyway. I'm working my way through it, and I would recommend it to anyone - the recipes are fantastic, well laid out and easy to follow. My favourites so far are the parsnip & orange and pea & mint.
What's the point in producing a cookery book without photos - none at all really. Doesn't matter how much information you add it's just not the same following a recipe and just hoping that you'll like the way your finished dish looks, even if it's soup, because you can't see a photo. I'm also a little bit disappointed that there are soup recipes in here that have been added just as page fillers and for novelty value - they sound absolutely awful and I'm sure I'd never want to eat a bowlful of Pumpkin and cocounut, sour pork with snake beans, pork ball and black fungus or even chilled prawn and yoghurt soup but; that's just my own personal taste. There are some good points though and it'd be unfair of me not to mention that the recipes and methods are easy to understand and to follow, the layout is good, one recipe a page, and there are symbols to guide you through cooking and prep times plus to let you know how many portions you can eek out of each soup. It's an OK book but it doesn't impress me greatly, I'd gladly sacrifice the "extreme" soup recipes for some photos of the really nice, wholesome ones so I can see what I'm supposed to be making.
on 17 July 2011
This book has all the ingredients in it but no images. It looks contemporary but lacks soul. Could really do with some inspirational pictures to help get the imagination & motivation going. Had I seen the article before I bought it, I would not have spent the money but it wasn't expensive and is a good reference book without imagination.
on 29 December 2013
Easy to follow straightforward recipes. Great book for students or inexperienced cooks as well as unusual yet simple recipes for the more experienced cooks. Worthwhile purchase. I've had mine a few years and bought 2 as presents since.
on 23 August 2015