on 12 October 2006
Some classic knits in this book. The cutest little slippers, hats and gloves. A modern take on a Fair Isle Jumper that looks like it's been bought from Monsoon. A fun pirate's jumper. Some lovely girls and boys jumpers. Excellent. They're classic, straight forward yet fun and stylish patterns. Easily adaptable for larger sizes and less kitsch tastes. On the whole much more pleasing on the eye and more satisfiying than buying clothes made from a nasty synthetic fabric, in a sweat shop and which have been shipped thousands of miles . And you can't beat home knits for warmth and durability. I didn't like a couple of the styles - but the majority of them formed a one stop shop for some great clothes. Now all I need to do is work on producing the kids to fit them...
on 9 May 2007
I think the other reviewer must have misunderstood the pattern because a friend of mine knitted the sweater on the cover and had no problems at all (except that her little boy wouldn't wear it!). The designs are great and some of the things are really quick to knit, like the baby slippers (I've made 3 pairs now in different colours for my friends babies!). Someone else I know knitted the Lacy Sweater and did have a problem with the edging, but she emailed the publisher and they sent an errata sheet straight away. If I didn't know of the odd little error in the book it'd be 5 stars!
on 5 May 2004
i dont know how the other reviewer could say that these patterns were not very modern, i thought they were all beautiful and very tasteful, the kind of hing you would pay a fortune for in the shops. zoe mellor makes even the most complicated patterns simple and easy to follow. I am so glad i chose this book above the others, i cant wait to knit everything in there, my only quibble is that i dont know enough babies!
on 26 January 2009
I actually have a different version of this book, but it has exactly the same patterns in it with just a different cover.

I have now made two items from this book. The first was the cardigan with love hearts all over it & frilly sleeves. I made it for my daughter who at the time was 18 months old, so I made the size to fit 1-2 years. It barely fit her when I finished & she is under the average height/chest etc for her age. Ok so I could have measured her to be sure but I didn't think this would happen. (Oh & I do knit tension squares!)

The second item I made was the star jumper. This time I made it a size too big, as my daughter was around 20 months old when I started this one, so I made the 2-3 years size. The length of the jumper was fine & so were the sleeves, but I couldn't get the neck over her head! It wouldn't even fit over a newborn I doubt! So I had to cut the neck open & add some buttons so it could be fastened instead.

My advice is, this has some lovely knits in it, quite modern, lovely photos, sturdy book with glossy pages & fairly easy to understand (I'm not a pro knitter!) but I would check before casting off that the garment will fit whoever you're making it for!
on 3 November 2010
The designs in the book are exactly the same as the book of 50 designs by Zoe Mellor. All are lovely, but the book of 50 is far better value!The Big Book of Kids' Knits: 50 Designs for Babies and Toddlers
on 22 August 2011
I am a competent knitter and always in the look out for interesting and modern patterns for my little ones.The patterns in this book are definitely funky and very attractive, but having knit only 2 of the items so far I have discovered many of the yarns are discontinued and cannot be easily replaced, and like another reviewer mentioned I had exactly the same problem with the Little Star sweater - I knit the age 2-3 size (with a tension square, and the finished sweater matched the length/width in the pattern perfectly) but it wouldn't go anywhere near over my little boy's head (and he's only 13 months at the moment!!)

Proceed with caution, or better still, buy go and look at Lucinda Guy's books! Same ideas but error free!!!
on 24 July 2008
Unlike so many patterns in shops which look as if they are from the 1950s, this book has some georgeous designs which I agree look as if they might be from Monsoon or somewhere similar. Can't imagine how anyone could think they were old fashioned. I think perhaps the girls patterns are more exciting than the boys. My friend's little girl was over the moon with the white and cerise pink floral cardi. Overall I thought it was great, just an odd place where the instructions might have been clearer. Just about to order another of Zoe Mellor's books...I have really got the knitting bug as a result of this book.
on 4 March 2005
My sister bought this book and was very disappointed that the pattern for the star jumper, featured on the cover, is missing 10 rows on the front.
on 3 December 2004
I bought this book earlier this year and have now done quite a few patterns from it. They all look fantastic and friends have even aked me to knit things for their children from this book. My favourite is the pirate jumper which looks complicated but is surprisingly easy and was finished within a month.
on 1 May 2009
OK, so you can't really ignore errata and there are quite a lot of errors in these patterns, but a public spirited person has published them on the web so if you print them out and check your guage, then this is an inspiring book for an experienced knitter.