1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and great book to get to grips with Flex 4., 1 July 2010
This review is from: Flex 4 Cookbook: Real-world recipes for developing Rich Internet Applications (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
-If you like to learn by example and know more about the latest version of Flex, then this is the book on Flex for you.
-This book moved my understanding of Flex 4 (Spark (v4) & Halo (v3) actually) on immensely.
-It's a hefty thorough and extensive tome, covering 295 diverse examples which are meaty enough to lay the foundations for other ideas (of which 293 were clear and easy to follow).
-Chapters 16 & 17 on Browser Communication and Modules/Shared Runtime Libraries were my favourites as they covered things I'd not seen in enough detail before.
- The recipes are extensively cross-referenced too, so if you look at one example you can find an elaboration elsewhere, so the book makes for a handy reference I'm sure I'll be referring to often in the future.
- It's probably worth supplementing this book with the Colin Moock book too (Essential ActionScript 3.0). I'm quite a polyglot when it comes to computer language but there was the odd bit of syntax I was unfamiliar with not present in other languages that I uncovered reading the book, but it didn't hold me back from getting the general gist of things.

Prior to this I'd read Flex 3 in Action by Tareq Ahmed and Pro Flex on Spring by Chris Giametta:
- This book doesn't have an architectural bias, whereas Pro Flex on Spring did and covered PureMVC & Cairngorm and obviously Java integration.
- Flex 3 in Action was too basic for my taste and I like to dive right in more at the deep end and learn by example and this book did just that in spades.

Kudos to the folks who did the proofreading too. it was probably one of the best books I've read in that respect and I only spotted a few things on an initial read through 700+ pages:
-One of these was indentation of code on P587,
- a trivial one, a weight was defined in XML as k instead of kg...
- I also think there was an example where the code said something like function fun ... in there somewhere too, whereby a partial word inadvertently got repeated.

The only sections of the book that were unclear to me were:
- recipe 14.11 P396 : The sentence beginning "Translating this into English.." on regular expressions. The unfortunate thing was a regular expression group was part of the sentence enclosed in brackets and it looked like the sentence was referring to what was in the brackets on a first read and that didn't make sense. It took a couple of read throughs to understand that... :-)
- recipe 18.18 (P523 in particular) and the creation of an AIR application with update capabilities. There was mention of an update.xml file which I don't recall seeing an example of and the index made no mention of it. I couldn't see how this could work if you were more than one release behind on your desktop and you had to refer to an update file on a server via some url (mentioned in prior recipe). Did the update file have several nodes, one per version, or should the update.xml file be named in such a way as to relate to a given version. Who knows.

Overall a great job guys.
Now I'm familiar with the works of these authors, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of the co-author's (Marco Casario's ) Friends of Ed book: Flex 4 Solutions: Essential Techniques for Flex Developers ISBN: 1430223952. I think it'll make an excellent companion to this book.