5.0 out of 5 stars C# Nutshell for C# Nuts
Holding 'C# 4.0 in a Nutshell' in your hand, you'll discover it is a weighty book! Shy of a thousand pages of content, the brothers Albahari have packed in a lot of pertinent, well-laid out and easy to follow sections; creating a serious programmers reference for serious programmers.

This is certainly *not* a book for the C# newbie. By dealing in-depth with...
Published on 30 May 2010 by Mr. A Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars The day of The Nutshell is past
I've had Nutshell books in the past and they've been very useful. It may just be this book, maybe I shouldn't have bought it as an eBook or maybe times have changed.

* It's too big (995 eBook pages),
* For most things I get to the solution quicker searching the net (globally or say within stackoverflow and even Microsoft) than I do searching the book,...
Published 3 months ago by R. Care

5.0 out of 5 stars C# Nutshell for C# Nuts, 30 May 2010
Mr. A Brown (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C# 4.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)

This is certainly *not* a book for the C# newbie. By dealing in-depth with advanced topics including reflection, threading, asynchronous methods, data contracts and Linq parallel programming, the reader will need a good understanding of C# to get the most from their purchase. This said, anyone well-versed in similar languages like VB.Net or Java, should have few problems adapting to the text.

Importantly, related dotNet technologies including Windows Forms, WPF, Silverlight, GDI, ADO.Net and ASP.Net are not discussed in this book. Yet C# underpins the 'code-behind' on most of these platforms. Developer challenges like, XML serialisation, networking, streams and security are adequately covered here.

This is a sound reference tool for CLR 4.0 - So if you are serious about your C#, then 'C# 4.0 in a Nutshell' is worthy of your shortlist.

AJB [ dotNet Developer ]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - gems in every chapter, 11 April 2011
When I flipped through the table of contents for this book, my first thought was that I'd wasted my money. I've been programming for 30 years, and using C# for at least five of those. I didn't think there would be much new to learn about (for example) IO, and assumed the chapter on it would be dull. ha, I was wrong there! I learned loads of new tricks and tips that I never knew before.

Even seasoned programmers will learn a lot from this book, and newcomers to C# will find all they need.

If I were to criticise it at all, it would be in the chapter on reflection. Not that there's anything wrong with this chapter, but like every other source on the subject I've read, it leaves me wondering why I would bother with it. I have heard of people who use reflection for all sorts of clever things, and I would love to know what and how, but have never found out. This book covers reflection in a clear manner, but didn't give me any great incentive for using it. That could be more a reflection (pun intended) on the subject rather than a criticism of the book.

As I said, this is a small criticism, and the number of tips and tricks I picked up in the other chapters more than made up for the lack of anything exciting in that one chapter.

However, even without the small gems in the familiar subjects, one of this book's real diamonds is the section on Linq. I've read a lot about it, and used it a lot, but never really understood it until I read this book. Together with the free LinqPad (written by one of the authors), it's a brilliant way to learn a very useful tool.

I haven't finished the book yet, but am happy to give it five stars even now. Strongly recommended.

Edit: 15th May '11 - Having finished the book, I still stand by my five star review, but would like to add that there is a very comprehensive set of chapters on parallel programming in C#. Given that I don't tend to write compute-intensive applications, this is of little interest to me, and I found it a bit boring after the first chapter. I just skipped it and skim-read the rest, taking mental note of the fact that it was there if I ever need it.

To be honest, I think this section should have been shorter, and the depth of material put into a book dedicated to parallel programming. However, given that the rest of the book was excellent, and the price was reasonable (so no complaints about being charged a lot for pages I wasn't interested in), I left it as a five start review, and just added this note.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference - huge amount of material, 3 Sep 2011
J. S. Hardman "Consultant software developer ... (Near London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I had already read an earlier version of this book (for C# 2.0), but bought this to ensure I was up to date with the latest changes to the C# language and the bits of .Net and Visual Studio covered by this book.

I read both versions of the book end-to-end (with the exception of the Linq bits, which I'll come back to at a later date), which I suspect is fairly unusual. This later version of the book (C# 4.0 In a Nutshell) is not as readable as the earlier version, but as I suspect few people will read it end-to-end I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Where this book scores very highly indeed, is the sheer volume of material contained within. Combined with the number of pieces of example code, this is an incredible reference. This is most definitely NOT a tutorial for anybody new to programming, and probably not even for somebody who has programmed but who is completely new to C#. However, if you have done some C#, this will fill in a lot of gaps for you. Even if you are just migrating from an earlier version of C# to the latest version, you will learn a lot from this book. It certainly demonstrated how C# 4.0 can be used to implement code very easily and quickly, that previously I would have done in C++ but which in C++ would have taken significantly more code.

This is a serious reference, that answers the "what" and "how" questions, if not always the "why" questions. By that, I mean that it tells you what you can do, how you can do it, but not necessarily why you would want to. Some sections are better than others in this respect. Those chapters where it is a bit weak in this area will at least give people enough information for them to then be able to go and search out more information using other resources.

Highly recommended. I'll be keeping this book on my desk, and expect to make use of a lot of what I learnt from reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy, 8 Sep 2010
N. Brightcliffe (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best books I have ever bought, if you are looking to move up from a previous version of C# or have a good grounding in software development then this book will provide you with an excellent concise means of learning c# and .Net framework 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best C# book you can buy, 30 Aug 2013
I bought this book to be used as a reference and it did NOT disappoint. I can honestly say this is a true gold mine of information all of which is concise and very well explained. The sheer scale of the topics covered in this book and example should be read by all C# programmers whether you are a beginner or an expert.

Highly recommended!! - but look out for the C# 4.5 or perhaps 5.0 versions of this book.

Buy it and you will be happy you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 13 July 2012
I am not much of a book person. Saw nice reviews about this book and finally decided to have one, I am doing c# programming for last 8-9 years.. I loved it..Now I understand, nice book always helpful.. I can easily say must have book for anyone who does c# programming, very well structured and even after doing so much coding, there were many bits and bobs which improved my understanding..
MUST HAVE

5.0 out of 5 stars The best C# book out there., 27 Mar 2012
I'll keep this short and to the point - In my view every professional C# software engineer should have a copy of this on their desk, and another copy on their bedside table. If you knew what you were talkind about before buying this book then you'll know a little more after reading it, and if you're pretty new to the game it will no doubt boost your confidence and intoduce you to a wide range of tools which you have at your disposal when coding in C#. Naturally it doesn't cover subjects such as WPF, WCF, WWF etc, but this is to be expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 1 Jan 2012
Quality, top-notch! Can't fault it.

This is likely to become my main C# reference, together with the companion Pocket Reference. Although, it's quite scarey in parts?!
It concentrates on core C# so there is nothing about Windows Forms or WPF, etc. However, it does discuss some of the inner details of the Entity Framework. These subjects are too big to cover, even though this books has 1000 pages. So other references will be necessary.

Caveat emptor: This is a very detailed reference. Although some sections are excellent at introducing a subject, this book is not intended to be a tutorial.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Not for the faint hearted.", 29 Jun 2011
C# is a hard language to grasp with lots of rules and functions however this book does what GCSE bitesize revision books used to do, by taking the whole package and breaking it down to 50 percent of its original size by removing information regarded as 'non-essential' another metaphor could be the use of compressing a file into a .Zip package, fundamentally this book is smaller that what it would normally be, even with 1600 pages its comprehension is unmistakable. However though a lot of missing text is evident you will need a thorough understanding of this language before purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
Exactly what I expected.

C# 4.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
32.50