Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2009
I started with the "Starters" edition, well where would you start? And now, I want to delve deeper.
Unfortunately, having followed the "Starters" edition I now found that having bought the "Access 2007, The Missing Manual" I am now covering subjects that have been covered in the "Starters" edition, not to the same extent admittedly, but it does mean I am going over a lot of ground that the "Starters" edition covers.
Decide how deeply you want to delve and then decide. For a general knowledge take the "Starters" edition but if you are deeply interested then take Access 2007, The Missing Manual.
But not both!
on 19 November 2008
This is definitely a beginners book, but as a beginner I found it very easy to follow, excellent tutorials and a great reference. So many books seem to be geared for a bit more knowledge and those of us who have to start at the beginning can get lost - I would definitely recommend this one to anyone who needs help building building databases and with greater functionality than just a table of records.
on 8 August 2008
This book is easy to read and follow and indeed it would be a good manual with the product. But it really is for beginners. If you have used Access before give this book a miss.
I got Access 2007: The Missing Manual mainly because I wanted to know how to create forms using Access. I had enough familiarity with the Access and Excel to create basic databases but I remember creating forms using the older version of Access to be quite difficult, probably made more difficult by the fact that I had inherited the forms and was trying to fix them.

Access 2007: The Missing Manual starts the reader off with the very basics of creating simple databases. Then, gradually teaches the reader how to connect, filter, query, create forms, and print reports. Throughout, there are step by step instructions, illustrations, and tips. At first, Access seems pretty daunting but I found that by the time I got through the book, I was pretty confident taking what I learned and adapting it to my own needs.
on 3 October 2009
As a beginner with databases I sought a book which would take me through the whole process from database concept, design and implementation, including the report building functions.

I wished to build what will be a relatively complex relational database and it is fair to say that this book has contributed to achieving a firm foundation for this task. It is well written and one's hand is held firmly towards an understanding of the subject.
on 9 July 2010
The author's assessment of Access is honest and straightforward. His examples are humorous yet realistic. The designers chose a typeface that is visible, and yet the book is not so heavy that you can't read it in bed once you have turned off the computer.

This book would get 5 stars from me if the author did not have the frustrating habit of condensing "is" to " 's" in just about every other sentence. Otherwise, it was very easy to read.
on 24 February 2010
Excellent book and the title says it all. This book should really come with the product. Many features explained which are not covered in other Access 2007 books.
Easy reading style, and recommended for the experienced user.
on 27 April 2010
wow this really was good - found it easy to follow and full of info - helped me to finish my database
on 29 May 2013
This is a great tool and been a great help when I've been into the software and hit any obstacles.
on 6 July 2013
Great being able to have it on my Google Nexus 7, saves weight and space and stays open at the page.