5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!
I bought this book to learn how to create a new menu system for a web site that I'm working on, and I certainly don't regret the choice. Danny Goodman's book does a very good job of covering Dynamic HTML (DHTML), HTML (Hypertext Markup Language), CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), DOM (Document Object Model) and even JavaScript.
The amount of information in this book is...
Published on 23 July 2004 by Rennie Petersen

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book from Marketplace Resellers
The book is excellent (probably), but I'm having trouble getting a copy of the third edition to see it.

This is partly the responsibility of Amazon but also the responsibility of the marketplace resellers.

Twice, I have tried to buy this book through different marketplace resellers in the last couple of weeks.

Both times, when I ordered...
Published on 15 Oct 2011 by C. Wootton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, 23 July 2004
Rennie Petersen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
The amount of information in this book is incredible. 1400 pages!
Mr. Goodman explains the current situation, where Microsoft's Internet Explorer follows one "standard" and the other browsers follow the W3C standards to varying degrees. He also indicates which version of MS IE first began to support each feature, allowing you to decide whether you want to use some feature that some of your clients' older browsers may not support. This kind of information is invaluable if you want to make your web site cross-browser compatible, including support for Macintosh, Unix, Linux, etc., as well as Windows.
My only criticism is that the book is unfortunately becoming a bit dated. It was published in Sept. 2002 so it obviously can't contain any information about the latest versions of web browsers. On the other hand, Microsoft has not released any new version of IE for over two years, so it's only information about the latest versions of Netscape and other browsers that is missing.
One additional thing I liked about this book was that Danny Goodman sometimes uses an almost poetic English, something rather unusual in a technology book. A couple of examples from page 19: "... can be a challenge unto itself." "If the inexorable flow of new browser versions..."
Highly recommended if you are making web pages that require the use of Dynamic HTML.
Rennie Petersen

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital keyboard-side companion for any web developer, 1 Feb 2005
Greg "Software Developer, Snowsports addict" (LANCASTER, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
From the first edition, through to the second, this book hasn't been off my desk for the last 5 years. Even when most of my work involves server side web programming, using VB6, C#, and before that Perl and PHP - I still need to refer to this at least once a week. Even using ASP.NET, where Microsoft try to shield you from the html using server side controls - you will still need this book.
Main uses:
The object model of IE and mozilla, so your javascript code is using the correct object.
Javascript section. A good reference, though Javascript - The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly) is very useful too.
CSS - Not too verbose, light on examples, but superb as a reference.
In short, everyone involved in writing HTML, or client side code, should have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Edition - should last me another four years!, 11 Oct 2002
This is the completely updated second edition. Four years ago I made the first edition my constant companion and it has saved me, and any other web developer nearby, weeks of head-scratching since. Back then we had to tussle with Netscape Navigator 4 vs. Internet Explorer 4 whilst supporting the version 3 browsers. This edition brings home just how much has changed and just how much is new. Most importantly, it helps you to develop web interfaces that will be cross-platform from the outset.
The book is not an introduction to DHTML but it does have a section on Applying DHTML that covers not only the current state of the art but also gives clear guidance in making use of all the features. Danny Goodman makes it very clear that he is not going to discuss the DHTML that Navigator 4 introduced, the <layer> tag and JavaScript style rules, but points out that they are covered in the first edition should you really need to know.
There isn't anything on Accessibility other than a single paragraph drawing your attention to the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI). DHTML and Accessibility could be considered inimical but that isn't the case and I'd perhaps have liked to see this elaborated on with some suggestions on how to achieve an Accessible site whilst still using DHTML. In practice, however, I've found it easy to meet the Priority 1 checkpoints (or A rating) set by the WAI even with a complete DHTML site so perhaps this is not really an issue.
I find this book really useful. I can't imagine any web developer doing without this book and managing to produce a good cross-platform solution and I also can't imagine that developer needing any other texts on any of the technologies covered here. I certainly don't have any others on my desk today.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the dog's! :), 8 Aug 2000
By A Customer
OK so we all look at readers' reviews here on Amazon and often you buy a book with 4 or 5 star reviews and get disappointed. But read what everyone's written here, read what they say on amazon.com too, and this time, we can't all be wrong!
This is the finest computer book I own - the most important reference guide I've read since the mid-80s (that was the BBC Micro Advanced User Guide to you - people who knew it will know what a reverential comparison this is!). Everyone I work with, everyone I know in the industry - this is the book they rely on and look up to in awe. Forget the title - it is a blinding reference on everything you need for client-side HTML, scripting and the DOM, and DHTML just pops out the end. ... if you're writing for V4 browser compatibility this truly is the only book you will ever need...

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book has helped me out on a number of problems!, 2 Feb 2000
This is not a book if you know nothing about the subject and want to sit with a cup of tea by the fire and start from the begining and read through.
It is, as the title tells you a reference book and is therefore as readable as a dictionary but, when you have a issue which you know roughly what to look for, this is the book for you. Although the opening section does describe quite clearly how to apply DHTML, this only accounts for 163 pages of the 1070 pages of the book. The rest being mostly 'look-up' information.
I had an issue with putting page breaks into HTML, brilliant all the information I needed was here. I look it up and it tells me the syntax. If I wanted to know the advantages of one way over another however, it really wasn't that type of book.
No reference to Internet Explorer 5.0 that I could find and this was a pain especially with things that work under IE4 and not IE5.
I hope I haven't sounded to negative about this book though since it has helped me out on a number of problems.
If you know your HTML and what to make it more dynamic, buy this book. Visit the number of DHTML websites that show you what you can do but are rubbish at telling you how and then use this book to get the job done.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book from Marketplace Resellers, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference (Paperback)

Both times, when I ordered the third edition of the book, the reseller sent me a first edition.

I'm getting quite a pile of first edition books now. A first edition is virtually worthless.

To the marketplace resellers. Do your due diligence and attach your product to the Amazon product pages for the correct edition. Don't be lazy and search by book title. Search by ISBN. The fact that the book cover picture is different to the one in your hand should tell you that it isn't a correct match. Go back and check your products thoroughly right now and make sure they are the right edition.

To Amazon. Get your act together and police this more thoroughly. Change the UI of the reseller data entry page to force a mandatory entry of ISBN or SKU codes so it finds and attaches to the correct product. Its just as bad for DVDs too.

To the public at large. Forget buying this item from a marketplace reseller. They are probably all selling first editions and are not well enough informed. Maybe some resellers are just lazy, or stupid or just purposefully telling lies about their product to fool you into buying out of date editions. Buy the Amazon copy, in the end it will be cheaper than buying all the reseller copies that you have to in order to get the book you want.

What a sheer waste of time and money!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's always open on my desk when I'm designing web pages, 5 Mar 1999
By A Customer
The other reviews here really say it all. This book is an excellent reference guide (not a tutorial) to writing DHTML code. There's a couple of really minor glitches that I've come across, but this book generally tells you about all the subtleties and idiosyncracies of IE v. Netscape. It doesn't cover IE5 or Opera explicitly so if you need to know about these, you'll need to go elsewhere, but I'm sure a newer version will correct that.
Most books like this seem to have been dashed off in the minimum of time using commonly available information for a quick profit. "Dynamic HTML" is a worthy exception to this trend; clearly some thought has been put into each entry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real solutions to real life dhtml problems, no nonsense, 31 July 2000
The authors experience shines through with this publication. He addresses issues which cause the entire DHTML community headache after headache.
This book is not for the newbie web designer as a reasonable knowledge of DHTML is presumed throughout. But beyond that it describes useful techniques in a clear and precise way without overwhelming the reader with nonsense.
I use this book day in and day out, it's a constant source of useful information and refrences.
This is a book to keep by your side at all times. BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars No hype; this is the one!, 9 Nov 1998
By A Customer
The other reviewers are correct; this is an indispensable desktop resource. It has instantly become my primary reference source for web-related projects. This is an important and very accessible work. The layout of the material into chapters is so straight-forward and logical that you don't even need the index; you just flip though to the heading you need and then get back to work. It is meant to be accessed randomly and frequently. This book is the architype for all reference works.
Be forwarned; this is not a cookbook, tutorial, or introductory text. The examples are the minimum necessary to convey useage. If you need introductory texts, I have been very impressed with the inexpensive "Visual Quickstart Guides" by Peachpit Press.
The title of this book is almost misleading; I would have called it something more like "The Web Authors Complete Reference." (and then I probably would have ignored it because of the presumptuous title!) Anyone who creates content for the web on any level will be pleased to have access to such a complete reference for this little slice of time. I can only hope and pray that Goodman/O'Reilly issue prompt rewrites as new versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer are released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference, 7 Oct 2007
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference (Paperback)
If you do any sort of web design, whether as a do-it yourself novice or as a professional web designer, Dynamic HTML is a must have resource. This all inclusive guide includes a myriad of features for design elements, objects, and styles organized in several easy to understand and easy to use sections: Alphabetical HTML Reference, Shared DOM Reference, Alphabetical DOM Reference, Event Reference, CSS Reference, and Java Script Reference, Cross Reference. All of these examples include actually bit of code that the reader can use as well as associated attributes and their code to tailor that element, object, or style to your desired specifications. This aspect allows the reader to follow through virtually step by step taking a new concept from inception through to a professional look and feel.

I can already tell that Dynamic HTML is going to be one of those desk references that I keep close by my computer. The book is already plastered with a number of post-it notes in places that I need to fix on my existing web pages, concepts that want to experiment with in the future, or ways that I could make my websites more accessible. Having a good book with these aspects all in one place is a boon.

Still, where I will probably gain the most valuable use of this book is in the comparative aspect of the entries. Along with each of the detailed entries in all of the categories, the author has included information about how each feature translates in the different browsers (Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, Mozilla, Safari, Opera, and W3C HTML). Anyone who has spent weeks making their website just perfect only to have their best buddy with a different type of browser say that it's all wonky knows that a good detailed cross reference resource is invaluable. Having one as well organized and intuitive as this one is nothing short of amazing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference
Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference by Danny Goodman (Paperback - 6 Jan 2007)
38.50