5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 9 Dec 2010
Mt N. Holmes "Nick Hewyn Holmes" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL Cookbook (Paperback)
It is not for the complete beginner, but you don't have to be too far off to get some real benefit from using this book.

The discussions about why you would use a particular technique are excellent too.

In my opinion it is great. I bought it and I am still using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 10 Oct 2013
Chris Smith (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL Cookbook (Paperback)
This book was a great starter when I got into MySQL and has been the foundation for all my projects and knowledge of MySQL. A great and useful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, recommanded, 18 Oct 2010
Qin Wang "MSfan" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL Cookbook (Paperback)
I like the style of the book which tackles the problems encountered rather than introducing theories chapter by chapter.

The reason I gave it a 4 is that it didn't cover some more advanced skills for database admin such as database management and securities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin, 14 May 2008
This review is from: MySQL Cookbook (Paperback)
A few pages past the table of contents, I had solved two issues that had been bugging me since my last install. It was pretty minor stuff, but could I as heck find the answers online. It just shows what research, presentation, and quality control can achieve. So, another score for books over bytes.

The layout is uncluttered, and you can usually get the gist without reading through pages of preamble and exposition. The examples are practical and adaptable (no long and complex routines found on some sites) so they can almost be cut and pasted into your own applications. As your applications develop, there's always something else you can add.

The only downside is that it's a book - a few mods to MySQL and you might have to fork out for the next revision. Still, I should have got my money's worth by then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches you SQL, 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: MySQL Cookbook (Paperback)
Explains by example so many common queries you'll be able to solve a wide variety of problems instantly. SQL is a deceptively deep language and getting to grips with this small army of queries gives you the basics to build on.
Easy reading and sensible examples. Some omissions (insert) but it's not the complex stuff - that part is really taught well.

MySQL Cookbook
MySQL Cookbook by Paul DuBois (Paperback - 7 Dec 2006)
38.50