5.0 out of 5 stars The missing manual? It's not kidding
I thought it was time to brush up and improve my css and try to crack page layout and other problems which I have never understood. Boy am I glad I found this book. I read the first half and although I didn't do the tutorials - as I knew most of it - it filled in so many gaps and made things I thought I understood so much clearer. Going beyond the basics at each page I...
Published on 25 July 2007 by M. J. Parsons

3.0 out of 5 stars okay but...
Published on 28 Feb 2010 by J. Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Missing any more!, 18 May 2009
Peter Winn - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
Gradually building up a library of the "Misssing Manuals" all excellent so far and this is no exception - an invaluable reference book and tutorial whether a novice or expert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, clear and informative, 3 May 2009
R. York - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
This book is quite simply the most easy-to-read technical book that I own. It is primarily aimed at beginners to XHTML and CSS so if you're a seasoned developer it may well be a little slow-paced for you. However, if you are just starting to learn about web authoring then this book manages to introduce XHTML and CSS in an entertaining and clear fashion.

The tutorials throughout are great for putting into practice the content of each chapter. Also, the companion website featuring sample files and errata, etc is useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 6 April 2009
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
This book begins with a warning that the reader should have built a couple of sites already using html and maybe css. I had not, and althought the going was a bit tough a few times, this guy can really write, and explains everything as he goes. In fact almost too much, but the cumulative effect is one of developing a good understanding. I would recommend this to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars CSS The Missing Manual, 24 Mar 2009
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
The Missing Manual books never cease to amaze me. This book is a great companion book to Dreamweaver CS4 The Missing Manual. It fills in all the gaps, and is suitable for beginners upwards.

By the time you have finished the book you'll be very proficient at using CSS. Its a great reference book and its easy to find the bits you need.

I highly recommend this book if you want to know about how to impliment CSS into your web pages. Its a must have in todays technology where CSS rules.

Stuart

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must Have", 9 May 2008
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
I wouldn't recommend it to a raw beginner as it does jump in pretty quickly, but I've got a (very) basic grounding on CSS and found it excellent.
The chapters are sensibly organised, the text is easy to read (for font, style and grammar), there's a humour through it to keep it light, and it even suggests that you might want to skip some bits because they're not essential. The tutorials add to the same 'tutorial site' throughout the whole book, so as you work through the chapters there's continuity in the tutorials and you can really see the effects of what you've learned at the end of each chapter.
This book has got the info I need, and has the feel of being written by a programmer who's read many a manual in his time and has now written the book we've all been looking for, in the format we want.
I've since purchased 3 other books from the missing manual series and would recommend all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction, 7 April 2008
Darren Grant (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
A very good introduction to CSS, particularly well illustrated explaining the order of HTML and CSS. Would recommend this one to anyone interested in learning the basics of CSS.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay but..., 28 Feb 2010
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
I borrowed this from the local library as some aspects looked interesting. Whilst I did manage to get some parts working okay I found that some styles mentioned in this booked just didn't work at all, and some styles needed modification to get them working. For example the book gives the example of a[href^='[...] to display a style for external hyperlinks however I found that this didn't work unless changed to a[href^="[...]"] and the example given in the book of a[href^='[...]^='[...]) also doesn't work at all (substituting mysite for your own website of course). Okay for giving you ideas but the mistakes in this book let it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful - a great start and good for brushing up for more avdanced users, 21 Aug 2007
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
A great start for anyone wanting to start with CSS - clear, easy to understand examples, would definitely recommend it.

I didn't do most of the esaier examples, but the more complicted ones were well worth the price of the book alone!

--James

5.0 out of 5 stars As described excellent service it was just what I wanted for Christmas and the New Year is that enough obviously not?, 9 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and great seller, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
Great book for the money was a bargain. If you can spend the extra few quid there is a version 2 of this book that looks even better.

ARRAY(0xa73b3c30)

CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) by David Sawyer McFarland (Paperback - 3 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01