4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner SQL book, 17 Sep 2011
This review is from: Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL -- A Learner's Guide (Paperback)
This is a good narrated book for those trying to learn SQL. I would like to stress that this book will not be good for people that are experienced in SQL, and for those who need reference material - as this book lacks a detailed contents section. Finally, it is important to note that the SQL in this book is targeted at MySQL and the related table joins use latest ANSI standards e.g. INNER JOIN, OUTER JOIN instead of =, *=, =* etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class SQL Introduction, 19 Jun 2010
G. Barnes (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're just starting out on the SQL road and you don't mind being taught like you are a five year old (and I mean that in the nicest possible way), then this book is a must. This book is written in a way that literally anyone can understand. The trickiest part is having to download the RDBMS. In this respect the book is slightly wayward with its instructions, however, in the authors' defence they do clearly say you should follow the website's instructions as installation procedures may change.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am an SQL Ninja thanks to this book!, 17 Feb 2009
Ok, maybe the title of my comment is not exactly 100% true :) - But boy I feel like I will be just after reading this book for the past 2 weeks. I LOVE the style of Head First books and the way it makes me feel I am being taught by a cool and funny teacher that "holds my hand" learning this book and doesn't just let me get on with it and fend for myself.

This book has me laughing as well as learning and it is such a breath of fresh air to study a book about programming that has some humor in it and is not boring like so many others out there.

Do yourself a favor and buy this book... Now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Head First SQL, 3 Jan 2013
This is a great book for beginners it has lots of helpful information. I would recommend this book to people who are learning SQL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for beginners/those who know a bit of SQL, 2 April 2014
Ms. T. Bond (Southwest UK) - See all my reviews
I already knew some SQL (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, WHERE clauses and left table JOIN) but this book is still incredibly useful. I'm halfway through and I finally understand normal tables and NULL. Definitely not for advanced SQL users and not particularly well structured as a reference guide, but if you just want to *learn* then this book does a fantastic job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Way To Learn SQL, 21 July 2013
I recently starting a job in software support where one of the main tasks is supporting SQL databases. I picked up Head First SQL a month before I started and was able to learn all of the basic concepts in a short time which enabled me to start the role confident and able to carry out any of the database tasks which I am given.

When I first saw the book I will admit I was a bit taken aback by the comic style and silly drawings. These do actually help to analogise the concepts and you do actually learn without realising. You also learn SQL properly. I'm able to explain to all my more experienced colleagues the logic behind all the queries we do. Some of them have no idea I only learnt the language two months ago.

My only criticism is that the book is now a bit old so could do with a new edition to update the changes that have been made to MySQL. For example the appendix on installing MySQL is now out of date.

All in all a great learning tool for SQL which is aimed at beginners or people with no previous knowledge. You'll learn SQL incredibly well. You may not know all the operators and reserved words but you'll get great confidence and ability with the language. Most importantly it does not feel like work to read and I was surprised how easy and quickly I worked through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 5 Jun 2013
Still reading but I'm staring to learn the SQL languange in a perfect manner

Very good for novices

Jens

Denmark

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 29 May 2013
Not bad, however when I was using MS SQL with this book, there was a point that commands were just not working anymore. So I wasn't able to fully complete the tasks.

However if you are using MYSQL this is perfect as this is the software it has been written using.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best IT book I've ever read!, 21 May 2013
J. E. Hunt (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Head First series are by far the best way to learn a new tech skill. This book is not only extremely informative (as a beginners guide) but also a real joy to read. RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book, 8 Mar 2013
I absoultely love the way this book is designed and how it structure the learning process. At first it seems a bit perculiar but there is actually a method to the madness. You will be bombarded with strange images and informal writing style, if thats the sort of thing you dislike then just make an exception for this book.

You will not regret

Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL -- A Learner's Guide
Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL -- A Learner's Guide by Lynn Beighley (Paperback - 7 Sep 2007)