Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2009
I've been a user of Dreamweaver MX2004 and previous versions for 10 years. After buying Dreamweaver CS4 I realised much was familiar - I could carry on as usual without problems. However, I could see many new menu options and panels that were opaque to me. The CS4 help system was near to useless. What I needed was a manual and I got it by buying this book. It does what it says on the cover. It won't teach you PHP or Javascript or whatever, but you'll have a reference guide to every feature of Dreamweaver CS4.
on 12 June 2009
All books have a target audience so I think it's important to understand why I found this so useful - I'm someone who has only used Adobe Go Live 6 prior to this (about five software upgrades ago!!), which means that I may be familiar with many general website terms, but have absolutely no clue how to do anything in Dramweaver. This book was exactly at my level. It takes you through tutorials with a website in every chapter to help you put into practice what you've just learnt. Couldn't have been better in my view, but that's just me. What a great book.
on 8 October 2009
This book is essential for any prospective 'Dreamweaver'. While I appreciate the highly contextual 'Classroom in the Book' series Adobe authorises and promotes, I really would urge all those intersted in the CS4 (whether for 'Associate/Expert/Trained or purely non-certification purposes) to go through this book FIRST (in fact, you might not need another text or multimedia form) It's 'low' context and highly accessible language explains each and every aspect of an application that is quite daunting even for those with Macromedia experience. Those new to web design will learn 'hands-on', making learning much easier, and once you pick -up the techniques, you'll just want to carry on. Those with experience will find this text enlightening as it has separate boxes for 'power - users'. As the author suggests, the Dreamweaver CS4 application should be downloaded and the tutorials that complement the book and ones essential for buliding your site while you work through the book can be downloaded free. I wouldn't want any to think I have any vested interest in providing such a positive feedback - I do not know the authors or publishers but I'd like to think I know a good book.
on 23 August 2009
This is now the (high) standard against which I will compare any future comparable s/w book I buy. Of the 18 I own, only the superb works on AfterEffects by the Meyers come close.

With the aid of this book, I have moved from complete Dreamweaver beginner to taking control of my company's (ex-FrontPage) website, including installing dynamic database pages.

Little to add to all the other reviews in praise of this book. Makes a complex topic understandable.

It is superbly written so that it would be perfectly enjoyable to read all 1,000 odd pages cover to cover. Plus it is an excellent reference with good self contained sections.

Note it is a minor up-date of the already excellent CS3 version so all those reviews also apply.

Can't recommend it highly enough (& I am not easily pleased, see my other reviews!)
on 20 May 2010
This is a superb manual written in an easy to understand format without all the jargon. The references to websites with tutorials are also very useful for learning and give one the ability to study a chapter and then use one of the examples at the end of the chapter so you can test yourself. The whole series is well thought through for the beginner. I referred to some chapters so often, the pages started coming loose but at the price it's worth it over and over. The only minor point I would make is that there is only once sentence about keywords and metatags relating to search engines but this is a big subject in itself.
on 13 January 2010
I haven't got time to write too much, still enjoying the book! This is without doubt the best CS4 book written. It is concise, detailed and very understanding of those that are new to the game of web development. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who has purchased CS4 and whats to know how to use, not only the in's and out's of the program, but will also appreciate the huge amount of extra web related info within it. With that said, and not the Authors fault, I was a little annoyed to see that and new version "Photoshop CS4: The Missing Manual by Lesa Snider" was available but not made obvious by the seller. The web moves on at an incredible rate and it's always good to keep up on the latest version, be that the program or tutorial. Anyway, if you want the best book on the market for CS4, buy this one!
on 28 December 2009
Just got this book for christmas after reading reviews for other CS4 books.
Have been using previous versions of dreamweaver for years, but upon downloading CS4 i was completely stumped as CSS seems to be the way sites are now being designed!
The book is well laid out, giving you the chance to read and learn at the beginning of the chapter, and a tutorial at the end of each chapter to put into practice what you've learnt. All the files you need for the tutorial can be downloaded in an easy .zip file which contains all the images, text etc you need to start building the sample web pages.
Although there are plenty of big technical words, the book has been written well enough to explain everything in plain english and not in a patronising way.
Beginner, or web design expert, this book has it all!
on 18 March 2010
I have been trying to learn Dreamweaver CS4 for a few months now. I have bought loads of books and watched dozens of tutorials. I could have saved a lot of time if I had just bought this book in the first place. Read it, go to the website and download the files for the tutorials, do the tutorials and then make sure the book is next to your computer whenever you are designing a website. This product is miles better than anything else out there (that I have seen anyway). I can not recommend it highly enough. I will be buying CSS The Missing Manual in the near future. Save yourself a lot of money and time and buy this one. If I could I would have given it four and a half stars out of five, my only slight niggle (and it is a really, really small one) is that it is all black and white. Great book.
on 21 March 2011
Yes, truly a magnificent manual. If only they were all written like this! It explains Dreamweaver in a totally understandable way, omitting nothing, and it covers both the Windows and Mac versions. Very highly recommended for both beginners and more advanced users.

Designing a website today requires a knowledge of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). The author is also the author of CSS - The Missing Manual, and some of the content of this is included here for the benefit of those needing a CSS primer. It makes it particularly easy to understand the use of Dreamweaver to manage CSS in web designs, and this is only one example of the excellent way in which the book is structured.

At the risk of repeating myself - highly recommended.
on 20 December 2008
After reviews of other missing manuals I thought this might be a help in learning the powers of Deamweaver CS4. It is very "in depth" of every feature in DW CS4 and lets you know every thing it can do. But what it lacks is a website you can build along as you read the book.
To put it another way. If you are learning to drive you can read a book on how to drive, but without actually driving you don't get the feel of being behind the wheel. But you would learn to drive a lot faster if you had driving lessons at the same time as reading a book on driving. What this book is lacking is a website you can build as you go along and put into practice what you read.
It is a good referance book on CS4, But not a good instruction manual.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse