Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2009
This is a very good investment! As the Adobe Photoshop Elemements 7 software package doesn't come with a manual you're on your own finding out the numerous options and functions in the program, which can be quite a struggle if you're not a daily user of the program.
The Missing Manual is great in that sense, it is exactly what the title suggests: it's a manual. It's a HUGE reference database containing a description of probably every Elements function.
There are also a lot of example before/after-style images in the book which help a lot by giving an idea on what a certain function does.

The only negative I can think of regarding this book is the not-so-good quality of the images in the book. They're clear, but they're not printed in a glossy way.

But such a great book for this price: go for it!
on 4 January 2009
I have upgraded from Elements 4 to Elements 7 so wanted a manual to understand what was new / different. Unfortunately Scott Kelby's book wasn't available in time for Christmas so I bought this instead. It is a fairly weighty tome and seems to cover most subjects well. The main shortcoming for me is the quality of the picture printing. On a number of pictures it is difficult to see the detail, or the difference between the "before" & "after" shots, which for a photo editing manual is a major drawback.

If you want a decent manual on Elements 7 this is fine, but if like me you want to see in print what to expect on screen I would consider other options as well.
on 18 February 2009
I was all at sea with Photoshop Elements 7 until I bought this. It's a big, comprehensive, easy-to-read book; I really can't imagine a better one for the job. It is, of course, a shame that PE7 doesn't come with any kind of manual of its own, but for the money, and indeed for twice the money, this is superb value and essential for the PE7 user.
on 2 February 2009
This type of book is by it nature a reference book and not meant to be read from beginning to end, therefore you should be able to dive in to any section to carry out a specific task, unfotunately when I do this most of the time it does not work. Many of the problems stem from items in menus are greyed out and therefore not available so off we go to another part of the book to find out why, too frustrating I will be looking for a book that does what it says on the cover.
on 12 December 2008
Barbara's books about Elements are a necessary and sufficient condition for getting the best out of it. If you need to know it, it's there, and if it's not there, you don't need to know it.
on 18 October 2009
I had managed to view the content of the complete book on the net, and reading on online is a different experience with everything viewed with clarity. Content is excellent and it is a great reference aid written to a high standard going through aspects step by step. The book is layed out in a logical way and is very comprehensive covering all you need to learn. Despite reading the reviews here expressing concerns about the poor print quality, I still went ahead o buy the book as I did not wish to read on the net all the time....and I thought surely the content is the most important thing. So, when I received my copy, I appreciated how poor the print is....it is really poor! With something like this, it is important to be able to read the snapshots of the photoshop screen....it is difficult to see and is straining on the eyes. I have to bring the images really close to my eye to see what part of the screen has been circled for instance, whereas reading on the net was not an issue. And for the price you pay. you do expect the print quality to be better then this! The content is excellent - really disappointing about the print quality.
on 25 March 2009
This is a manual that every Elements 7 owner should have. It explains all the items on Elements step by step in a very clear way so that is easily understandable by anyone with even a small knowledge of picture editing.
I wouldn't be without it now and I highly recommend this title.
on 24 August 2009
I am situated in Denmark, but bying books from UK, because the amount of books are huge, and you can also find something you can afford. There are Danish manuals for the Photoshop elements, but they are so simple that you are better off whitout. This manual is splendid. Well written, highly understandabel also for a Dane, and is widely recommended. So if you are a user of the PSE 7, this is a very good answer to your demands for help and guidance.
Especially the chapters about layers, which is essential in the use of PSE and Photoshop Prof, are excellent.

Kind Regards

Jens from Denmark
on 16 August 2009
I bought Elements 7 software and this book at the same time - and it's a good job I did!

I've been using Micosoft Digital Image for a while and wanted to upgrade to something with more creative control. Elements 7 is a very chunky bit of software and the fact that the book runs to 575 pages (including index)reflects this. Whilst Elements software does come with web based help files, there really is no substitute for quickly looking up something in a printed manual.

If you are new to digital photography software, this book guides you very effectively through using Elements. If you already know the basics, but want to experiment with the capabilities of Elements you'll find guidance on what you want to do by looking in the index - which is just what I needed.

This is a very good book and it certainly met all my requirements. The only reason for not giving it a 5 star rating is that it is written in American.
on 9 January 2009
As has been previously said, this book is rather large - 575 pages including index. Rather bigger than I thought it would be. It covers everything of course, but everything for me is much too much. I can't comprehend that much information. I need something simpler to tell me how Photoshop works in practice with better quality pictures; and when I'm an expert 'The missing manual' I might understand.