5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome handbook
It's not that there aren't typos, or even erroneous code snippets into that title; there are, albeit just a few.

But it's as simple as this: whether you are a newcomer to the Flash world, or an experienced ActionScript 2.0 developer - like me - that book is a life-saver during your trip into the world of ActionScript 3.0.

Yes, "Essential ActionScript...
Published on 12 Dec 2009 by Thomas Mavrofides

Published on 19 Feb 2009 by B. Nesset

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome handbook, 12 Dec 2009
This review is from: The ActionScript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide: For Developers and Designers Using Flash: For Developers and Designers Using Flash CS4 Professional (Adobe Developer Library) (Paperback)

Yes, "Essential ActionScript 3.0" is great, and "ActionScript 3.0 Cookbook" is very useful and I use them both continuously; but "The ActionScript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide" is indispensable and, if I had to choose only one title among those three, that would be the one. Deserves every penny spend buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book could make you *finally* grasp OOP and Classes in AS3, 19 Feb 2009
B. Nesset "FWIW" (Norway) - See all my reviews
Before I bought this book I had read the AS3 Cookbook (nice, but very much geared towards Flex) and Moock's Essential AS3 (huge, and sometimes it's like a brick to read as well; I don't design such complex projects), and this book fits my needs as of now very nicely. I pull it up on the commute, and I have got the "finally I understand this!" (OOP, Classes...) several times while reading this book. Recommended!
Those migrating from AS2 should perhaps start near the end of the book, as it clarifies (did for me anyway) some very important things about framscripting do's and don'ts in AS3. Why near the end?
The real disappointment, and actually I feel cheated about this, is in the title "for developers using Flash CS4". The release of this book coincided with Adobe's launch of Flash CS4, but as far as I can see this book contains NOTHING about the new ActionScript features introduced in CS4, like simple 3D and audio handling. This book is for CS3, but everything applies here for CS4 as well (of course). I was looking for the freshest stuff on how to deal with the new features, but this manuscript is not new, and has not been updated to reflect new features in CS4. This is why I pull at least one star.
There are also annoying typos which makes some examples throw errors.

Despite this: my general impression is that it's well written (english is not my first language) and enlightning.

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 18 Feb 2011
N. J. Ferrier - See all my reviews
This book should be called "Explaining ActionScript 3 for developers and designers who have done a lot of work with ActionScript 2 and are really struggling trying to upgrade"

This is not a quick reference. It is verbose and is written in an irritatingly colloquial fashion, check this out from early on:

"Part I seats you comfortably in the ActionScript 3.0 bistro, offers to take your
coat, and gives you a free basket of fresh bread, hot from the oven. You'll get
drinks, of course, and be presented with a menu that unveils the variety of
tools you can use while exploring ActionScript 3.0. Specials include the Flash
authoring tool and Flash Player 10, with a dash of Flex Builder 3. You'll also
see a few third-party script editors."

I don't know about you but I'd want to be at the magazine rack for a quick reference, not sat down for a long lunch.

I hope O'Reilly eventually publish a nutshell on AS3. I was really hoping this would be nearer to something like a nutshell which is maybe why I am so disappointed.