4.0 out of 5 stars At last, real world Javascript answers
As some other reviews point out, this book won't teach you much about JavaScript per se, but it will teach you an awful lot about the JavaScript library, JQuery. At first, I was put off by this because I was convinced I needed to learn "raw" JavaScript. This book changed my mind.

Published on 30 Dec 2009 by jakeone

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected.
I wouldn't recommend this book to an absolute beginner in JavaScript (like me). I think it's more suited to an intermediate programmer who understands JavaScript and wants to learn how to write programs using JQuery, not a person who wants to learn how to write their own programs from scratch.

I bought this book, because I own a copy of the very excellent CSS:...
Published on 14 July 2010 by helloprograms

4.0 out of 5 stars At last, real world Javascript answers, 30 Dec 2009
jakeone (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)

"Raw" JavaScript can be quite cumbersome to use and many frequent tasks facing a web developer have to be written from scratch and tested for compatibility across multiple browser versions. Rather than attempt all this yourself, the author advises you to use a JavaScript library (e.g. JQuery) where many of the repetitive tasks facing web developers, e.g. building galleries, validating forms, hiding/showing elements etc. have already been written and tested for you. JQuery is basically JavaScript with most of the cross-browser incompatibilities eliminated and with added, powerful functionality to handle the most common tasks facing web developers.

Having seen the power and convenience of JQuery, I wouldn't worry too much about learning raw JavaScript - unless you had very specific requirements that JQuery couldn't handle. Indeed, this book has made my other purchase - a dry 800 page book about JavaScript - obsolete.

The best thing is that it tackles all the most common tasks you'll face in the "real world" - just take a look at its contents to see what I mean. Indeed, I can't envision a client-side feature that you couldn't implement with JQuery - and this book shows you most of them.

My only gripe is that there is a lot of repetition in the book. Some may welcome this as it certainly does make the text easy to read and understand but it also adds to its thickness :) Personally, I think by the time you get to page 260, you should know that line X is creating a variable or line Y is calling a function etc.

Thoroughly recommended for those who want to add a bit of JavaScript spice to their websites without taking the masochistic route of learning raw JavaScript. An understanding of HTML and CSS is recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to basic javascript and jquery., 9 Mar 2009
Barry Horton - See all my reviews
I found this book a very useful introduction to using javascript and in particular the popular javascript library jquery in your web site. If you are looking for a detailed description of javascript this book probably isn't for you. However if you are looking for a book that explains the basics and how you can learn quickly to employ javascript tecniques (using the jquery library) to enhance your web sites then this is a good book to read. It is useful to have read CSS The Missing Manual first.

5.0 out of 5 stars As easy as it gets., 30 July 2009
J. R. Precious "jprecious" (West Yorkshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Like the other Missing Manuals this book is clear and straightforward. It assumes a reasonable understanding of (x)html and CSS but the chapters are clearly laid out with hands on tutorials covering the theory. Best of all, the book uses jQuery from an early stage. jQuery seems to be THE javascript library at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Understand, 28 Jun 2009
L. Carr (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Easy to read and understand. Simply written. Although I'm not a complete beginner to Javascript, I did find this book the best out of the ones I have bought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook for some tasty Javascript recipies, 26 Nov 2009
Realj42 (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a great introduction to JavaScript which focuses on producing usable and easy to understand scripts for use with your website. This is the third 'missing manual' by David Sawyer McFarland I have read and he continues his easy, accessible approach, with plenty of hints and tips, some 'advanced notes' and pointers to further reading. The book is aimed at JavaScript beginners, but you will need to have a good basic understanding of HTML and CSS to benefit from it (and there's a Missing Manual covering those ...). You do not need previous programming skills as all programming techniques and logic are explained. The book is also fine for anyone with other programming experience (like me) but you may find you want to skip some sections

The book explains basic JavaScript, then focuses exclusively on using the jQuery library and associated plug-ins which are great for quick and easy fancy effects such as Lightboxes, slide shows, and animated navigation menus, all of which are covered in easy tutorials (in fact this book could easily be called jQuery: The Missing Manual). This should be fine to get you started using JavaScript and possibly all you'll ever need. My main criticism of the book is that it focuses too much on using the library functions and plug-ins, and does not try to show how to achieve something like this using pure JavaScript - in the end there may be something you want to do that is not covered by a plug-in.

To sum up - a great book for the JavaScript newbie (but not HTML/CSS newbie) but don't expect too much in the way of advanced JavaScript programming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected., 14 July 2010

I bought this book, because I own a copy of the very excellent CSS: The Missing Manual. Because of that book, I finally cracked things like Selectors and Floats, and found solutions to other nagging little problems, things I couldn't find on the Internet. (Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places? I don't know.) I'd struggled with JavaScript in the past and given it up as a bad job, but lately, I decided to take another run at it, and I was hoping this manual could do for my JavaScript what the other manual did for my understanding of CSS. I'm afraid was disappointed on that score. I'm just as confused as ever!

The reason I gave the book three stars is because the basics are explained well enough, even if the exercises that follow aren't that great. Once he introduces JQuery, that becomes the focus of the book, and he shows you the great things that are possible using it, and I realise that for a lot of people that would be plus, but like I said before, I'm a beginner interested in learning good basic JavaScript. I'm not that interested in JQuery at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning how to use Javascript the easy way, 26 Jun 2009
The author is excellent and covers all aspects at a measured rate, not too slow or too fast. The increase in the ease of use of Javascript by using the JQUERY library, which is explained in detail, I found very useful, and have used many of facilities already. This is not a book for the complete novice but for an intermediate level developer it is almost a holy grail!

1.0 out of 5 stars The title is misleading, 26 Feb 2014
As other reviewers have pointed out, this book is about JQuery rather than Javascript.
That's fine if you want to learn about the JQuery library.
But if you want to understand what is going on behind the library, this book will not help you.

3.0 out of 5 stars More jquery than javascript, 6 Nov 2013
I quite enjoyed this book however it should more correctly be called 'jQuery - the missing manual' because the subject matter is berymuch jQuery and there is precious little about javascript in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written guide to Javascript and jQuery, 17 Jan 2013
Dr. H. O'neal - See all my reviews
An engaging and amusing style
Useful for specific aspects of website development
Only criticism is that the index is rather brief and under-developed.

ARRAY(0xa8cdda98)

JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) by David Sawyer McFarland (Paperback - 29 July 2008)
Used & New from: 2.06