4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent introduction
Published on 13 Mar 2008 by Mario Silva

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't say it's a must have book.
I'm sure it all correct but did not strike me as containing many insights into either Oracle generally or version 11 specifically.
Published 6 months ago by jskc

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent introduction, 13 Mar 2008
Mario Silva (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 11g (Paperback)
I started reading this book with certain expectations. I work daily with Oracle so I always felt the need to know more about certain aspects of the database itself and the way things work in the background. This book started a bit disappointing, because the initial chapters seem like a shopping list of features, stating thoroughly all the features that are available with this version of Oracle (that's the reason of only four stars).

However, past that initial and overly long listing, the book becomes very interesting and, more importantly, goes directly to the point. I can't say that I knew much Oracle to start with, so this book helped me in two ways: by explaining the basics of this DBMS and going to the trouble of even to remind me of some basic database concepts. The chapters become more and more complete, as you read, making the reader see Oracle more like an application suite than a dedicated DBMS.

I strongly recommend this book to all those starting to use Oracle, as an excellent introduction to the more simple and complex aspects of this application.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential personal library edition., 21 Jan 2013
Satnam Singh ":)" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 11g (Paperback)
Essential book to make sure you get the BASE understanding right on the Oracle internals. Further knowledge then hooks easily on to this base, Achieved my 11G OCP certification thanks in some part to this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excelent book for a Unix Admin, 29 Jun 2008
This review is from: Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 11g (Paperback)
This is an excelent book for a Unix Admin that needs a good knowledge of how Oracle works to more efficiently administrate DB Servers on Unix platforms. It covers important topics on performance and high availability that are very helpfull for a Unix Admin

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't say it's a must have book., 22 Jun 2014

Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 11g
Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 11g by Jonathan Stern (Paperback - 11 Nov 2007)
Used & New from: £8.37