5.0 out of 5 stars Transforming your photographs into something special.
Published on 23 Dec 2008 by Ned Middleton

3.0 out of 5 stars Too little too late?
Published on 16 Jan 2008 by Mark Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforming your photographs into something special., 23 Dec 2008
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Photoshop CS3 RAW: Transforming your RAW data into works of art: Get the Most Out of the RAW Format with Adobe Photoshop, Camera RAW, and Bridge (Paperback)
I have been very disappointed with the tutorial DVDs published on the subject of digital photography. Consequently, I turned to books - and purchased a good number of them. My reviews come only after I have studied each specific product. At this time, I am converting from film to digital photography and have spared no expense with regard to the purchase of books and tutorial DVDs in addition to attending courses on the camera and Adobe Photoshop CS3.

Having studied "Understanding Raw Photography" by Andy Rouse, this book takes that formative learning much further by putting what has been learned into effect coupled with CS3 and Bridge. Altogether, this is a serious learning curve and, speaking as one who is about to embark on an assignment which will take me away from home for over a year, it has to be right. As any regular reader of my reviews will know, I am quite happy to say a product is bad - but only when it really is BAD! In this instance, I get much greater pleasure from stating this product is excellent - but only because it really is EXCELLENT.

Perhaps, you already know (or at least think you know) all there is to know on this subject or perhaps you (like me) have the equipment but find the implementation quite daunting. Alternatively, perhaps you are wondering what to do and what to buy. My advice would be to purchase this book and study it carefully. Then, having read it, put it away for at least 7 days before reading it again. You really will be surprised at how much you learned first time around.

NM

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for anyone new to shooting Raw!, 20 Jan 2008
Keith A. Lees (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been shooting digital for some time now and decided to explore the Raw option of my camera. While there are many good resources on the internet, I was looking for a book to work through start to finish...............and I have found it.

I had done the usual thing of installing the software and playing around with it with some half decent results, however, since working through Photoshop CS3 Raw, I have realised that I had not even scratched the surface. The author obviously knows his subject well and presents the subject in an easy to follow format with many screenshots acompanied by a detailed explanation and tips on shortcut keys etc.

In short I would strongly recommend this book to anyone entering the world of shooting Raw and using CS3 to convert and manipulate there Raw files.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too little too late?, 16 Jan 2008
Mark Harding - See all my reviews
CS3 has been around for quite some time now and pretty much everything there is to know about RAW is known. So while this book covers Raw in fleeting detail it brings very little new information with it and very little in the way of real insights. The best books offer images to work with so that one quickly develops an understanding of the tools. Unfortunately, while there are test images available for download, most of the work in the book is done on images which one doesn't have access to leaving the adjustment processes less instructive than they could have been.