on 15 December 2008
Whilst some of the chapters in this book are real gems, the others are irrelevant. The target audience is too wide, too many languages are used and the chances are it won't make you a better programmer.

I would skip this and read a book like Clean Code instead.
on 30 August 2010
I agree somewhat with what the other reviewers have said, but then you must take into account that there are 30+ authors here, and each one will have very different things to say and as many ways to say it. You could say that an editor should have taken care of equalizing the book, normalizing the styles, but I think that will destroy the spirit of it. It's true that there are many technologies and languages, but I don't think that is a mess, but the obvious result from putting together many great minds from different backgrounds and dealing with many different problems. It won't make you a better programmer, but I don't think that was the target of the book. This is not a cookbook or a book to teach you C++ in 21 days. This is something else. Think of it as an essay (or a collection of) or a documentary series. I still didn't read all articles, and because of the sheer variety and ample scope of the book, I will probably never read them all, but for sure I can tell you some of the chapters are also powerful motivators. With the daily corporate grind, you can get somewhat jaded sometimes with tech, but this is a foray into the joys of problem solving, the eureka moment, the pleasure of coding. For me, not a waste of time, definitely.
on 10 July 2009
This was a very interesting book with some good very clear, thought provoking articles, while others were written by people who were not used to writing. The book suffers from an inconsistant style and some chapters do let it down. Overall you can pick out the chapters that interst you and study them, leaing the other chapters out.
on 23 March 2013
This book takes you through several examples of what some top programmers consider beautiful code. As a by-product the book reads more like a collation of articles from a coder's version of Cosmopolitan magazine rather than a programmer's erotic novel. However I cannot complain about this as I did only by the book for a specific chapter. Simon Peyton Jone's article on "Beautiful Concurrency", it is a beautiful read, especially around Christmas time.

Enjoy!
on 26 July 2011
Andy and Greg collected quite impressive set of IT related essays and enclosed them within Beautiful Code. These are the texts that refer to various topics and treat them in a hard, engineering way. There is no place for humanity science like stuff. There is quite a loot of examples getting to bare bones of the problems.

During my studies I had to go through all these Kernighans, Ritchies, Knuths, Ahos, Petzolds, and so on. I don't say I didn't liked them however, Beautiful Code reminds me all these books some way. Each problem described is somehow intriguing and innovative while at the same time you can say - hey, I have read that already, somewhere. Don't let me be misunderstood, I value the book, but for me, and for now, it's not the best pick. Hawking wrote once: "Somebody told me, that each equation put into my book will reduce the number of sold copies by two - thus I have referred to just one". Well, Beautiful Code has much, much more than one equation inside.
on 16 December 2014
A must read for developers