5.0 out of 5 stars Cover to cover
This is the first book on any sort of computer language I've ever actually finished.
In itself, that's reassuring.
I feel I've got a grasp on the fundamentals & am ready to move on to more advanced stuff & related languages which can enhance my site (within 2 days of starting this book I'd registered a domain name & sorted out some web hosting).
This is a...
Published 15 months ago by Airbondy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cover!
Published 11 months ago by M. Steele

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover to cover, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
In itself, that's reassuring.
This is a great introductory book, no "dry" bits in it, plenty of pictures and "room" to allow you to either amble or race through it at your own pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to HTML and CSS, 25 April 2013
P. Cox - See all my reviews
This book is excellent.

It takes you right from needing to know nothing about HTML or CSS through to understanding it well enough to confidently markup and style your own web pages.

You won't learn anything about creating dynamic web applications here (they save that for the sister title Head First HTML5 Programming) but you'll have a first rate foundation on which to build that knowledge after reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The authors try SO hard to be cute, which is a little annoying, but the lessons are easy to follow, good beginner guide., 16 Feb 2014
E. Catalan "bookie" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
It feels like its written for a 14 year old, but all the dumb jokes and retro 40-50s imagery probably break up the boredom. Im only 6 chapters in, and languages generally get harder as you dig further, but so far, the examples have been easy to follow and i feel like im learning a little.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cover!, 27 Dec 2013
M. Steele - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
Okay, that's the praise out of the way. This book is very slow-moving and rather patronising. I found it much easier just to keep a browser tab open on the W3.org tutorial pages for HTML and CSS and learn from those. If you want to learn HTML for its own sake then it may be quite a good book but if you have a need to create a web site then the linear nature of any book probably isn't quite right for the way you want to access information. And if you hate coffee and coffeehouses then this book really isn't for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, funny, easy!, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
Just read the foreword: it has every reason why this book is an amazing tool for absolut beginners with no time but all the will to learn how to make websites!
Highly enjoyable, loads of fun while learning and very, very easy to understand.
Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book which let me change careers, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
Very, very fond memories of this book which was the most important step along the road to becoming a web editor back in 2008.

It is approachable, friendly and will teach you rock-solid web standards/HTML semantics if you pay attention.

Mix with JavaScript and a little responsive design and it would also be a great foundational book for 16/17 year olds thinking of becoming front-end developers; can't think of a course syllabus which would give you a better start!

Not read the HTML5 edition, so not sure how well it documents this (un-finalised) specification (wonder if poor old "hgroup" is in there...)

5.0 out of 5 stars It works - Hello World!, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
Initially I wasn't terribly gone on the book's format - anthropomorphisation of HTML tags, silly characters with speech bubbles etc seemed a little childish - but I have to hand it to the book's creators - it works. This is a fantastic book for a beginner. I learned a huge amount and the book's page layouts are excellent for positional awareness as you work through the book, where many other books on the subject are very short on visual cues - look up from the page and you are lost. This is definitely a book for a beginner and does a great job getting one up and running with HTML and CSS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent exposition & amazing retention, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
One of the best 'how-to' guides I've ever encountered.

Easy to understand and fun to read... in a way where everything just 'sticks' in your brain- Magic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever html and css book for beginners/intermediates, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
I am studying to pass an exam for web design. Everything about HTML & CSS in my study books I have found in Head First and maybe more. The difference is my level of understanding from my study materials of HTML &CSS and my level of understanding from Head First is so different, that I wish the authors of Head First were put in charge of all study materiel for my Web Design course. This book is really designed for you to really learn and understand HTML and CSS on a cellar level and uses different methods including humor to make sure the understanding sinks in and sinks in good.

There are a few mistakes in the book, a cross word puzzle in Chapter 3 (I think) but having bought quite a few books about different computer languages, I have yet to buy one that doesn't have any mistakes, we are human and not computers : )

When I have finished with HTML & CSS I will be moving on to Head First's Java Script book and any others I need to broaden my knowledge of Web Design and Web Development. I just wish they also included Photoshop as a subject of one of their books too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant primer for html and css beginners, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Head First HTML and CSS (Paperback)
This is a first-rate instructional guide. It takes the reader through html and css in baby steps. I would advise anyone tackling this subject to have a basic web site set up on the web BEFORE starting this book, or a domain name and service provider at minimum.

The only fault I could find with the book was that it was too short, leaving me gasping for more. Seriously, there are topics that this book doesn't reach, like scripting, programming, feedburning. These are topics which I'm sure are covered in other books in the series.

Head First HTML and CSS
Head First HTML and CSS by Eric Freeman (Paperback - 8 Sep 2012)