This is easily one of the best technical books I've read for a long time. I came to it knowing very little jQuery, and read it cover to cover. I now feel I could tackle a whole variety of problems, and know where to look for more help if I get stuck.

Published on 25 May 2011 by Yossu

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not fantastic
Having played a bit with jQuery on a few projects, I wanted to understand a bit more the core of jQuery and see how usual problems can be solved. Being a fan of O'Reilly books, I purchased jQuery cookbook.

Published on 20 Oct 2010 by Tibal

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not fantastic, 20 Oct 2010
Tibal (Antwerpen, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)

The approach is OK for somebody who has basic knowledge of Javascript and CSS : it relies on examples ("How can I .... with jQuery ?") to cover things a jQuery developer might want to know : include the libraries, write a plugin, use an existing plug-in, use and customize jQuery-UI plugins etc, and also mentions topics such as performance or testing.

While most examples are actually rather good, some of them just make you think "there MUST be a better way to do it".

In my opinion, the main problem is that, being a work by "the jQuery community" rather than a book written by one or two authors, it lacks coherence : each developer seems to write jQuery code in his own way and no effort was made in this book to homogenize the code examples. This might really hurt your brain if you plan to read it from cover to cover.

So as a conclusion : it can be useful for a beginner who just wants to know how to solve a specific problem, but do not expect to find a reference that you can read from cover to cover. For this purpose, the online jQuery documentation is really really great !

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant - even for a beginner at jQuery, but deep enough to be of use to the experts, 25 May 2011
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)

It assumes a basic understanding of Javascript and CSS, but without that you'd struggle with any book on jQuery, as the framework is written in Javascript, and is used from Javascript. The amount of CSS you need to know is minimal anyway, so that's not an issue.

The book is split into logical chapters, each covering a different aspect of using jQuery. The material is presented as a series of problems, each of which has a solution and a discussion. I found these very clear and well presented.

Unlike other reviewers, I really didn't find the variety of authors a problem. For the most part, I didn't even notice any difference in style, and where I did, it only helped round out a slightly different way of looking at the issues.

All in all, a very well recommended book. I only had a brief look at the online jQuery docs (I much prefer reading books), but don't feel I lost much. This book contains pretty much all you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get up to speed with jQuery, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)
I found this book to be a great introduction to jQuery. I went into this book having a bit of experience with jQuery, but not really knowing how to harness the power and always having to search around to do pretty basic things.

After having read this book, I feel like I've got a very good handle on how to work properly with jQuery, as well as where to look if I get stuck. I'm a big fan of the O'Reilly Cookbooks, and this one hasn't let me down.

The one complaint that I would have (which is also in some ways a positive point for the book) is that the large number of different authors does break up the consistency of the book a bit. On the other hand, seeing jQuery used in different ways and with different styles was also a valuable experience (as it reflects real-world development).

If you're familiar with JavaScript and want to get up to speed quickly with jQuery, I definitely recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars javascript made easy, 28 Mar 2010
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)
Excellent - not one for the beginner as you would need to have knowledge of javascript but it gives you so much more with all the functions made available and also there are hundreds of ready made solutions on the web that other web developers have created.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for any Web page developer, 4 April 2010
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)
I found this full of useful information and routines to improve various web pages, and a very handy companion to "Learning jQuery 1.3"

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical solutions, 2 April 2010
Andrew Booth (Warwick, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)
Many practical everyday jQuery solutions, from basic to advanced. Though a minimum of AJAX samples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes!, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)
I am very satisfy of this book. It contains good and useful recipes that can be used for existing project. However, like others, I saw a difference in the different authors and the way they write and explain. It makes the book look inconstant. Anayway, if you want to learn a little more on jQuery and have many tips to use in your front-end web development, I recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Used by the development team, 31 Aug 2012
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)
This was actually bought for the people that work in the web development team. They asked for a number of books that they could use as reference material and this was one of them.

In terms of useful material, this is probably one of the better books out there; they all read through the book at one stage or another and they have each used it as a reference guide on more than one occasion. In terms of the value in producinga good web site, I would say that the end result was very good; clean, easy to navigate, all the functionality that we could want. How much of this is down to what they learned from the book is probably a bit hard to measure, but they seem to think that what they learned was pretty fundamental to the end result.

Like most of the O'Reilly books, it is a good price. It's quite well written although some sections seem to better than others. Although not a developer myself, I could still follow a lot of the material, but it seems technical enough to satisfy most hard-core developers.

Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)
I am an experienced programmer. However, I have had little or no experience of using jQuery. I decided to take a week off to learn jQuery. With the help of this book within 3 days I finished it and now have a workable knowledge of jQuery. Obviously I am not expert but have a good base knowledge. I would highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight-forward guide, but sometimes too wordy.., 18 July 2010
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook (Paperback)
The book is very practical and easy to read, but the same material could be presented in twice as less pages.

jQuery Cookbook
jQuery Cookbook by Cody Lindley (Paperback - 6 Dec 2009)