Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 May 2012
I bought this book because I needed to get up to speed with EJB and it gives a introduction to all the subjects surrounding EJB and it fulfilled this.
But the down side is that half of the book is dedicated to example code. This is in my opinion a waste of pages which could have been used to give better textual examples of when to use which annotations for instance or how to bet utilize the API or focus on some of the differences in the different implementations.
And an entire subject is missing (the criteria api) though it is mentioned in the list of content.
on 27 May 2013
This is a decent book as far as it goes, but as other reviewers have commented, it's a complete waste of hundreds of pages to include full code listings in the appendices rather than on a companion web site. I also found there wasn't really much information on moving from EJB2.x, which is a shame as I'm sure it's a fairly common use case.
on 7 January 2011
This is a good book with the right level of detail for intermediate designer/developer. However it's probably best to purchase the electronic version rather than the hard copy. Reason? there is around 300 pages (almost half of the book) devoted to coding examples - which I kinda of think shouldn't be in the book at all but something that is downloadable separately.
on 17 February 2011
At the time of writing this review, this is up to date and by far the best introduction on the subject that I have read.