5.0 out of 5 stars Best Read For All Level Of Programmer
I am a third year student at university studying computer science and I read this book over the summer to refresh my memory and solidify the skills I have learned from the last two years. This is one of the best books I have read on the subjects and I am always using it for quick refernce when coding.

I would and have recomended this book to several of my...
Published on 27 Sep 2010 by metallicrazy

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing
The book takes longer than other books. I bought it as I was about to learn quick but it took more time and gave less effect.
Published 9 months ago by Sharofiddin Turaev

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written., 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
The author Robin Nixon succeeded in creating a basic standard book to get even the most novice of readers on the ladder to creating dynamic websites. If you are looking at the book I assume you already have HTML knowledge, that's all you need (don't even need this really); the format of the book is layed out step by step, and is easy to read. I recommend this book.
Only not 5 stars because a few things for the beginner could have gone into more depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Read For All Level Of Programmer, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)

I would and have recomended this book to several of my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Note that this is the first edition and the second edition is coming soon, 8 April 2012
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
Would have given 5 stars, but the book is out of date. I only realized after purchasing it and logging onto the companion website and found out that the second edition is scheduled for Q3 2012. The companion website does support this first edition, but versions of recommended editors, IDEs for doing the exercises are out of date (I was able to do the exercises using alternative software). Probably not a problem seeing as the book is introductory level but if you're not in a rush, wait for the second edition. Otherwise great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for both beginners and amateurs!, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
I had general knowledge in PHP from modding and experimenting with Wordpress themes. HTML and CSS wasn't new to me - I work as a web designer, but I'm not perfect with javascript. SQL scared me.

This new O'Reily book filled in my blanks - gave me facts and tips about PHP developing and more self confidence in playing around with MySQL in PHPmyAdmin.

I'd say the things you need to be a great PHP web-developer are experience in HTML+CSS, a great idea, and this book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 30 Sep 2011
P. B. Moss (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
This is an excellent book, I have tried several times in the past to get into PHP/MySQL but have always eventually given up. However, this time, and with this book I have at last broken through the glass ceiling and truly making progress. The biggest problem that I find with open source is installing, configuring and getting it all to work. (I am using Windows 7). I did not use EasyPHP, as suggested in this book, as I had problems with windows firewall blocking access to localhost. Instead I used WAMPSERVER 2 and everything seems to work just fine. If you want to get off the ground with PHP/MySQL, then this is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars good 'beginning', 28 May 2012
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
Very good introductory book to the 3 pilars of modern web technology. What's interesting is that they use WAMP/MAMP/LAMP as environment, so can immediately start learning the 3 pilars, instead of worrying about setting up Apache & all the other tools. That's something that you should learn afterwards, when you decide to go deeper into the subject. If you never did something with web design like myself, I can highly recommend this book as a first contact with these technologies.

4.0 out of 5 stars May be too fast-paced for some brand new programmers, 19 Jun 2012
Mr. Ja Hodgskiss "jhodgski" (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
I'm an experienced Java developer and bought this to fill in the blanks on my limited PHP knowledge.

The book goes over a few stuff I already know - which I'm fine with as the reminders can be important, and it sets the foundations for the rest of the book. And by page 100, it really gets going.

For someone new to programming though, I think the pace of this book may be a bit too fast - especially as there doesn't seem to be any/many practical examples to work through. For newbies, I would definitely recommend trying out the code snippets in this book as you progress through it.

For everyone with some programming experience (or a lot of confidence), this book could give you a very good understanding of PHP, MySQL and JS within a week.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
This is a good book. Not as good as the book by Adrian West, but a good book nonetheless.

It is written for beginners, and therefore introduces each topic slowly. By the time you have finished this book you will have a good introduction the subjects discussed.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
A few months a go this book really help me to understand the basis of JS and to review some php content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 3 Sep 2012
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript (Paperback)
This book is great my boyfriend said it has everything he needs for this semester it's up to date and the content is well written and he can understand it :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript
Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript by Robin Nixon (Paperback - 24 July 2009)
Used & New from: 11.68