on 27 September 2010
I am a third year student at university studying computer science and I read this book over the summer to refresh my memory and solidify the skills I have learned from the last two years. This is one of the best books I have read on the subjects and I am always using it for quick refernce when coding.

I would and have recomended this book to several of my friends.
on 15 February 2011
The author Robin Nixon succeeded in creating a basic standard book to get even the most novice of readers on the ladder to creating dynamic websites. If you are looking at the book I assume you already have HTML knowledge, that's all you need (don't even need this really); the format of the book is layed out step by step, and is easy to read. I recommend this book.
Only not 5 stars because a few things for the beginner could have gone into more depth.
on 8 April 2012
Would have given 5 stars, but the book is out of date. I only realized after purchasing it and logging onto the companion website and found out that the second edition is scheduled for Q3 2012. The companion website does support this first edition, but versions of recommended editors, IDEs for doing the exercises are out of date (I was able to do the exercises using alternative software). Probably not a problem seeing as the book is introductory level but if you're not in a rush, wait for the second edition. Otherwise great book.
on 30 September 2011
This is an excellent book, I have tried several times in the past to get into PHP/MySQL but have always eventually given up. However, this time, and with this book I have at last broken through the glass ceiling and truly making progress. The biggest problem that I find with open source is installing, configuring and getting it all to work. (I am using Windows 7). I did not use EasyPHP, as suggested in this book, as I had problems with windows firewall blocking access to localhost. Instead I used WAMPSERVER 2 and everything seems to work just fine. If you want to get off the ground with PHP/MySQL, then this is a great place to start.
on 19 January 2010
I had general knowledge in PHP from modding and experimenting with Wordpress themes. HTML and CSS wasn't new to me - I work as a web designer, but I'm not perfect with javascript. SQL scared me.

This new O'Reily book filled in my blanks - gave me facts and tips about PHP developing and more self confidence in playing around with MySQL in PHPmyAdmin.

I'd say the things you need to be a great PHP web-developer are experience in HTML+CSS, a great idea, and this book :)
on 28 May 2012
Very good introductory book to the 3 pilars of modern web technology. What's interesting is that they use WAMP/MAMP/LAMP as environment, so can immediately start learning the 3 pilars, instead of worrying about setting up Apache & all the other tools. That's something that you should learn afterwards, when you decide to go deeper into the subject. If you never did something with web design like myself, I can highly recommend this book as a first contact with these technologies.
on 19 June 2012
I'm an experienced Java developer and bought this to fill in the blanks on my limited PHP knowledge.

The book goes over a few stuff I already know - which I'm fine with as the reminders can be important, and it sets the foundations for the rest of the book. And by page 100, it really gets going.

For someone new to programming though, I think the pace of this book may be a bit too fast - especially as there doesn't seem to be any/many practical examples to work through. For newbies, I would definitely recommend trying out the code snippets in this book as you progress through it.

For everyone with some programming experience (or a lot of confidence), this book could give you a very good understanding of PHP, MySQL and JS within a week.
on 7 August 2011
This book is great for beginners. It is succinct and direct to the point. However, as a beginner, you may need to understand why and how certain scripts work(the secret of programming - how?? and why??). Larry's books can complement in this regard. Sincerely, I am a scientist but not a professional programmer; nontheless, I have spent an average of 5 hours everyday for the last 5 yrs programming in php, javascript:mootools, MySQL and other related technologies. I have bought and read several beginners,intermediate and advanced books of these techs. OOP is my favourite approach. I recommend buying this book as a beginner and an intermediate learner.
on 19 January 2012
I bought this book with no knowledge of PHP and MySQL and read it pretty much from cover to cover. It introduces the basic principles of both very well, and the examples are very handy. At the end a full sample application is presented which runs very nicely and ties together all of the techniques covered in the book well. If you are new to PHP MySQl and Javascript this is the perfect book to use as an introduction, I found it a lot easier to read than other programming/textbooks I have bought.
on 13 April 2011
This book is an excellent introduction to php and using mySQL to create a dynamic website.
If you are already a seasoned programmer then some of the concept stuff is just a skim through, but the language is covered in sufficient detail to get you up to speed quickly.
Whilst this is probably not the book for a complete novice, but if you have done the odd website, maybe with simple javascript and want to move on, then it would be a great next step.
Well worth the shelf space!