4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Starting Point,
The Canon EOS 400 and 1000 series cameras are basically entry-level DSLR cameras. If this is your situation and you recently purchased a 1000D--known as the Rebel XS in the U.S.--you may want to get this book. This book is a beginner book that is specific to your camera. It's a good book with which to start.

There are twelve chapters to this moderate sized...
Published on 10 Sep 2009 by Russell J. T. Dyer

I bought this to load onto my tablet for reference whilst travelling but I found it difficult to search and navigate on my android tablet. Maybe it is my incompetence at using a tablet but I found hard copy book much easier to find what I wanted.
Published 19 months ago by stella

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Starting Point,, 10 Sep 2009
Russell J. T. Dyer (New Orleans & Milan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)

There are twelve chapters to this moderate sized book. The reader is given some very helpful screen shots of camera menus, as well as the displays that one will see through the viewfinder (i.e., the eyepiece) and on the LCD viewer screen. There are full-color images showing the camera with easy to understand text and lines pointing to exactly what to press or turn to set various things on the camera.

Getting to It
In the first few chapters, the author Ben Long teaches the reader about the camera in general: Chapter 1 shows the reader exactly what to do to get started taking pictures. It includes pictures of the switches on the camera and the lens and screen shots of the menus. The second chapter provides a well illustrated tour of the camera. Knowing where everything is on your camera will make you more comfortable using it. There's also information on the care and cleaning of the camera.

The third chapter covers how to view images and manipulate images within the camera. Many of these things you may figure out on your own, though. In the next chapter the author discusses how to copy images to a computer. This includes using the Canon utility program on Microsoft Windows and Macintosh computers, providing screen shots for both.

Photography Basics
The author turns his attention to teaching the reader about photography in general in Chapter 5 by discussing the basics components of exposure: ISO (i.e., sensitivity of the image sensor), shutter speed, and aperture (i.e., how wide the lens is opened). From there, in Chapter 6, he explains how to take pictures using a non-automatic mode. He covers the different methods of focusing, setting camera sensitivity, and adjusting white balance (i.e., image coloring based on lighting).

In the following chapter Long discusses the light meter and other exposure information provided by the camera. He gives advice on how to improve the camera exposure for the best lighting of the final images. In Chapter 8, he steps away from camera specifics a bit and explains how to compose a photograph--where to position the subject or the camera for the best shot.

Other Stuff
In Chapter 9, Long talks about using the live view mode (i.e., using the LCD panel for taking shots). He also speaks a little about taking panoramic photos and images in low lighting. These three topics seem to be loosely pasted together. Chapter 10 is about using the built-in flash and an external flash. There's not much to this chapter, but maybe it's enough for a beginner since Long explains how to deal with red-eye and how not to overexposure people with the flash. Those are the main problems of beginners.

Chapter 11 talks about the advantages and some steps involved in using the RAW image format. Most beginners probably shouldn't add it to their list of things to learn. The final chapter explains how to customize the 'My Menu' page. It also has a few pages on lenses: helping to decide which additional ones to buy. I'm not sure why Long didn't make a separate chapter for lenses and provide more information on them. Of course, most beginners don't think about getting a second lens for quite some time, at least a year.

Overall Thoughts & Reading Guide
Again, if you just bought a Canon EOS 1000D and you're new to using a camera like this, you should buy this book and read it. If you do, I recommend taking your time and starting from the beginning of the book. Play with the camera along the way. If you're going to skip around and not read all of the book, I recommend skipping chapters 9, 11, and 12. If you want to lighten your reading load even more, you can probably skim chapters 3 and 4--reading only what catches your eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy for new EOS owners, 29 July 2010
T. MCCANN (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)
I've been meaning to write this review for over a year; since I bought the book in fact. This is probably the most referred-to and re-read book in my library. It not only teaches you about the camera controls as you would expect, but also passes on many good tips about photography and the technology behind digital photography. For example, what use is the 2-second self-timer? I wouldn't have known without this book. When should you switch off evaluative metering? It's in the book along with many other tips I would never have figured out by myself.

The level of explanation is just right; not too complicated and not too simplistic. The author even throws in some good humour in places. I'll end this review by saying if you not a professional, and certainly if you are new to any member of the Canon EOS family (not just the Rebel/1000D) then you will not regret buying this book. Heartily recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars canon eos 1000d slr companion, 28 May 2009
E. Smith (GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)
Excellent book well written, made the camera very easy to use and understand, far better than the camera manuel. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new bible, 5 Jan 2011
Charlotte (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)
I got the Canon EOS 1000d for Christmas and as a total novice to photography and DSLR cameras I have found this book fantastic. It is like an extended version of the instruction manual, although much easier to read and in colour with photographs to show examples. I think this is a book I will continue to dip in and out of as I continue my DSLR journey. I would definatley recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars First digital SLR camera i Have, 26 Jun 2010
P. Sproson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)
Being a beginner using my first SLR camera I found this book extremely useful in understanding what was available and how its functions were to be used

4.0 out of 5 stars do it slow, 25 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)
As a complete novice at photography I enjoyed the book, but don't try and read it and think you are going to take great photos, go out and play with the camera, that's the only way. Where you went wrong then read the book

3.0 out of 5 stars found it difficult to search and navigate on my android tablet. The book is much easier., 9 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for newbies, 11 July 2012
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)
I have read the book in its entirety. The book is well-written by a very experienced author and photographer. It gives the reader a very solid introduction to the world of digital photography. Its very ideal for newbies who need a strong foundation. The book is primarily for Canon 1000D, which has now been replaced by the 1100D model. The author touches on some essential theories in photography, such as the exposure triangle and composition. I have learnt a lot from this book and I still refer to it from time to time. It has given me the confidence to develop my knowledge and skills in the art of photography. Ben Long has a series of training titles which can be found on his website.

What I find useful in my learning journey is to share what I have learnt with anybody who cares to listen. I would also advise newbies to take their time by going through each chapter sequentially, with the camera on your side. That way, learning the camera's features is much easier. Again for for newbies, Practice, Practice, Practice. Another tip that I learnt from Ben Long is that when you take your photos, store them away for a few weeks or even months and then review them, after tagging or keywording them. In my case, this approach enabled me to have a new look and opinion about the images. Self-evaluation is critical in photography. I have also stopped showing people all my photos. I only show my favourites. Even from a shoot of 500 pictures, I may only have 10-20 that will make it to the final round.

I also have a similar book by Julie Adair King Canon EOS Rebel XS/1000D For Dummies. Both books are very useful and are written in different styles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a manual, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)
This is a great way to get to know the camera. I find my mind switches off when reading manuals but this book offers a more helpful approach. It explains the camera's functions in a very clear and straightforward way, as part of a general photography course. It's well laid out and easy to find your way quickly to a specific subject but also works really well when read cover to cover. Ben Long neither patronises nor assumes a lot of technical knowledge - I love the tone of the book as well as its content and am sure it will be one I continue to find useful for years to come. It's also illustrated with some wonderful photos - he knows what he's talking about!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the missing manual, 18 May 2011
This review is from: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion (Paperback)
When so many photography or computer manuals are either repetitive or bloated, it is refreshing to find a book that does just what it says on the tin. Since buying this shortly after getting my EOS 1000D, it has been my constant source of reference. Online help and pdf manuals are all well and good, but a compact, concise and well put together manual such as this is indispensable.

The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion
The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D Companion by Ben Long (Paperback - 17 Nov 2008)