4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to data analysis with practical exercises
I like the Head First series, and this book is up to the usual standard in the familiar Head First format. I enjoy the concept, design and the excellent implementation of the series. OK, so now that I've sung the praises of "Head First" what about this particular book - "Data Analysis"?

I found it immediately useful, more so than several tomes that are...
Published on 7 Oct 2010 by Salvatore McDonagh

1.0 out of 5 stars Great way to make fundamental errors
Published on 20 May 2012 by Miss Sunny Dee

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to data analysis with practical exercises, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: Head First Data Analysis: A learner's guide to big numbers, statistics, and good decisions (Paperback)

I found it immediately useful, more so than several tomes that are currently weighing down my bookshelf. It is fairly light on statistics, but very practical with the examples used. (I recommend Head First Statistics as the logical companion guide to get you started understanding the most commonly used stats.)

Head First Data Analysis gives enough of a taste of data analysis to get you started, with excellent pencil and paper exercises, the absolute minimal amount of Excel and the briefest introduction to using R possible. The Excel examples are illustrative of common problems that data analysts need to solve and will be immediately useful for most people - I have been using spreadsheets to manipulate data since 1986 but I learned a few tricks which paid for the book the first time I used them. (There is a more comprehensive Excel book in the series Head First Excel: A learner's guide to spreadsheets)

The intro to R is barely enough to whet your appetite - I'd recommend searching youtube for some free video tutorials to get a better idea of how to use this fantastic open source tool (actually it is a programming language, but most users of R never need to write any code). R really is such a vital component of the data analysts toolkit that I felt obliged to remove a star (from what otherwise would have been a 5 star rating) for the scanty treatment it was given.

Overall a very readable book, practical, and the learning process is fun. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Data Analysis, 5 Jan 2010
S. Hussain "book worm" (London - UK) - See all my reviews
I am a newbie to data analysis and I found this book excellent. It gives you real life situations to which you have to find a solution by collecting data from internal and external sources and applying maths/statistics principles to.

The real life examples and graphics makes it stick in your head and are a refreshing change from reading just text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Excellent beginners Guide to data analysis, good number of exercises and clear explanation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great way to make fundamental errors, 20 May 2012
I gather that this is a 'brain friendly' book, but more effort should have been made to ensure that the reader uses their brain to produce correct results. I have only got to page 37 and I'm astonished at the fundamental errors in analysis it seems to be encouraging. For example, making assumptions on the demographic of product end-users based only on the name of the vendor or shop is not an accurate analysis method. Are Sassy Girl Cosmetic's customers really 'tween' girls? How do you know for sure? The exercise question `write down what this [vendor name] data tells you about who's buying MoisturePlus' can be answered succinctly - it tells you nothing! This should have been shown as the perfect example of fundamentally spurious assumptions that causes bad analysis. I'm not impressed. Sorry.

20.47