4.0 out of 5 stars A definite read for mysql developers, 30 Dec 2008
E. Jaoude "JaoudeStudios.com" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, and More (Paperback)
This book is not for beginners! This book is aimed at experienced developers who wish to take their mysql skills to the next level.

If you think you know it all, then you probably dont and this book is worth every penny! It will teach you how to choose the correct engine, optimise & bench mark your work to make sure you get the best out of your system. Its not easy and there is plenty to take in.

Excellent book - I gave it 4/5 because I felt that it went into too much details in some unimportant areas and skimmed over other areas that I thought were more important - however, this is probably just a personal preference. So might deserve closer to 4.8/5 :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, 15 Jan 2010
Kaj Ström (Finland) - See all my reviews
I'm about halfway through reading this book and I've found it extremely enlighting. Though I am not working with applications that require performance of the level this book is referring to, it has taught me lot.

I finally have a clear picture of indexes and I should work with them, designing queries to use indexes and their sometimes not so obvious features. I generally have found this book to be detailed enough, in many cases there are explanation how MySQL works giving you the necessary info on how to design your schema and queries. I personally find it more pleasing to know why I should implement something in a certain way and not just how. This book offers both.

So, even though you might not be after that "High Performance", there's no need to pass this book, it will explain a great deal of MySQL's inner workings and give you tools to a secure and efficient database handling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the de-facto reference for serious use of MySQL IMHO, 19 Dec 2008
I. Fallon (UK) - See all my reviews
The first edition of this book was a real find - at last a non-introductory book about MySQL that covers its use in more serious applications, the pros and cons of the variety of DB engines and coverage of other enterprise issues like backup and replication.

4yrs on after the 1st edition I was delighted to see an updated version of this book. The new book is more than double the thickness of the original, covering MySQL right up to v5.1. The good news is that the high density of detailed useful information packed into the original book has been maintained in this edition.

You really get the sense the authors know MySQL like the back of their hands, both in theory and practice and are passionate about getting their knowledge across in the book to help in your real-world applications.

This book is not for beginners learning databases, MySQL or SQL, but must surely be the de-facto reference for performance and enterprise use of MySQL.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most useful book on the topic, 30 Dec 2009
Finally something everybody who manages MySQL databases would like to read. It goes in deep details and covers almost all aspect of the performance issues when dealing with large databases. I do recommend it.
Sergio

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny and more..., 18 Oct 2011
Dr. Edward Austin "booboo" (Somewhere dark) - See all my reviews
I have been developing with MySQL for a few years, albeit as a periphery to my PHP activities and limited to the usual few suspects of INSERT, SELECT and UPDATE along with PhpMyAdmin and occasionally the command line tools.

But I reached the stage that queries on large databases were getting awfully slow and damaging my credibility. I needed a way to find speed on relatively low end (or old high end) servers.

In the first 30 pages alone this book has opened up my eyes to a vast range of possibilities and expanded my lack of knowledge incredibly - so much so I can actually talk sense on the subject if asked!

This looks to be an incredible book, and browsing through the 600 odd pages I can see a whole range of topics and areas that I really should know a lot more about and will enhance my ability to scale tremendously.

Not sure now how I managed to do without it.

Highly recommended.

ARRAY(0xac33b7ec)

High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, and More
High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, and More by Derek J. Balling (Paperback - 28 Jun 2008)
Used & New from: £4.00