Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 December 2006
I have B Bs previous Elements Missing Manuals (Elements 3 & 4),all are excellent guides,& this for Elements 5 is no exception.Especially as this version is in full colour.

B B does not pull her punches if she thinks Adobe has not got it quite right.Throughout the book you get the feeling that she is talking TO you...not AT you.

There is also a good backup site for extras & questions.

This should be a mandatory acquisition for all Elements 5

(would be)owners as El 5 is a considerable improvement over version 4!

If you only want one book to guide you through Elements 5

this is it.
0Comment|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2011
This book is comprehensive and covers every feature to be found in the Photoshop Elements 10 (PSE10) software for Windows and Mac.

Although there are pictures (of the software in use) in the book, I would say this book, compared to other books I have used, is more text heavy. The book explains the features in the program and what they do. It also lists the 'key short-cuts' to access these features.

For the more complex areas e.g. creating panoramas, working with layers, creating fancy text etc, there are step-by-step guides, but again these are text heavy.

As with all programs like PSE10, there is a steep learning curve. If you are buying this book as a 'how to' guide; it just about works. But I would say you need to be confident around computers and be willing to experiment and spend time with the program. (I have seen better photoshop 'how to' magazines in the newsagents.)

I think this book is more suited as a reference book, and used as such, is a very good book.
on 23 June 2007
This book is absolute mustard, it covers everything in a clear and concise manner. Dont't waste your time looking any futher; this is by far the best instruction book I have ever pupchased. It covers every topic in depth, but still remains understandable to a 62 year old.
I have bought quite a few books about Photoshop Elements over the last few years, and this is the one I can rely on to answer any question I may have about this complex piece of software. Barbara Brundage writes in a straightforward way, not talking down to the reader or trying to crack pointless jokes to jolly them along. The book follows a logical progression, is well laid out, and most-importantly has a very comprehensive index at the back.

Some books are glossier with more photographic examples, but this one explains the concepts of Photoshop Elements in a clear way and every time I look at it I discover more features of the program than I would find any other way. It does not have the worked examples with catchy titles like some instruction books (how to change your friend's hair colour, how to make a greeetings card etc), but personally I find that few of these are every really relevant to what I want to do anyway. What it does to is to use the software intelligently so that I can easily work out how to perfrom specific tasks.

This is far and away the best instruction book for Elements 5 and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who wants to move beyond the instant fix buttons in the program and explore its more complex features.
11 comment|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2012
I find this book really heavy going. I pick it up and put it down again very quickly.

To me it's not in a logical order. I purchased Photoshop Elements 10 and this book to get up and running very quickly. There is lots of information but the book is quite academic and there is a wealth of information there. However, I have learned more by following examples in photographic magazines which take you from start to finish. I'm a visual person and prefer a step-by-step guide.
on 1 January 2012
This is the second "Missing Manual" that I have bought for Photoshop Elements. It totally outclasses the other manuals. It is clearly and logically laid out and well indexed. The writing is clear and simple. It is a big manual but it is easy to tackle by reading up one small piece at a time and a few trials.

I was particularly impressed by their sections on image improvements. Adjusting exposure, brightening colours, lifting shadows the list was endless and simply explained.

Its not cheap but worth it!
on 2 December 2006
This book is really on top of the heap! Far better than Scott Kelby's; she does'nt bother with the slush. Just plain straight talking as it were.

If you only buy one elements book.........
on 3 February 2012
Phew! Doubtless covers all aspects of photoshop but I would hesitate to recommend it.
The contents do not follow a sensible path; jumping ahead too quickly then refering to somewhere else in the contents. There is an element of assumption which is unforgivable in a book such as this. For example there are no critical path diagrams. Reminded me of old science text books from the distant past. The text jumped between p.c. and mac and since the author is American the writing style irritates.
If you have experience in Photoshop and want to get totally involved in every aspect of the programme I suppose it will satisfy. If you are new or want simply learn the basics then avoid this like the plague!
A final small niggle is that the book itself is a soft cover and refuses to stay open easily.
on 16 February 2012
This book is just like the manuals you used to get with software several years ago. I always remember my first word processing software from WordPerfect (in the days of 3.5 floppy disks)... it was thick, heavy and would do as a doorstop for a very big door!
But that's the last thing you'd use the Elements Missing Manual for. This book covers everything you need to know about Photoshop Elements. The writing style of the author is friendly, jokey, but the detail she goes into means that just about anything you need to do in Elements is covered. There are also on-line resources. Register your purchase of this book and you can download sample files to play with along with the text in the book, so that you can see exactly how the various commands in Elements works. Highly recommended.
on 30 January 2012
The information contained in the manual is invaluable, it's a constant reference point for me as a former Photoshop user, and if you are completely unfamiliar, slightly familiar or very familiar with the Photoshop products, you will find something you didn't know before. Well worth the price.