4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for solving specifics
Well written, clear, precise - not full of useless waffle like some guides.
Provides solutions to common problems and tasks, which could be very useful for beginners and users with some experience of PHP. However, this is *not* a "how to learn PHP" book, rather, like the title states, it is a cookbook of solutions with examples.

I can recommend PHP...
Published on 3 Oct 2009 by Charles Dixon

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dissappointed
I bought this book for several key recipes that were shown in the table of contents. Once having it on my Kindle, I was frustrated to find only very brief descriptions with links to the PHP docs for more information. Personally, when I buy a book it's to expand on the online docs - not to summarise them!

I feel like I just wasted £16+ on an index of the online...
Published on 17 Jun 2012 by John Landells

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for solving specifics, 3 Oct 2009
Charles Dixon "Cyberoak" (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
Well written, clear, precise - not full of useless waffle like some guides.

I can recommend PHP Cookbook, but not as your only PHP text, especially for beginners. I suggest looking at 'PHP and MYSQL Web Development', by Welling and Thomson, published by Addison Wesley - covers the basics and most everything else too an excellent book for learning PHP and MYSQL for web development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, 9 Jun 2010
A. Gaspari (Slovenia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
I haven't read the whole book yet and all I can say is so far so good. The book is well writen and exmples are well explained for those who have some experience in PHP(not as good for beginners). It solves all the common problems and frequently asked questions on various topics. The best thing about this book is that it has no useless content and it gets straight to the point. Some expamples made me rewrite some of the code on my pages. It's really handy book and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 2 Nov 2010
Mt N. Holmes "Nick Hewyn Holmes" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
This really is an excellent book and would recommend it to everyone who works with PHP.

I have worked in I.T. for 20 years and have spent squillions on various I.T. books over the years. Most are not as good as you would hope. This one is better than I hoped and I have high expectations.

The general tone and approach of the book is first class. You are treated like a bright adult. I like that. Naturally, there are bits in the book that may not be of immediate interest to you. However, because the problem solving is so intelligent and interesting, you may well find yourself delving into them anyway. I did.

I recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dissappointed, 17 Jun 2012
John Landells "jlandells" (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews

I feel like I just wasted £16+ on an index of the online PHP docs...

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite programming textbook, 20 Nov 2009
Chris WRIGHT "Crispy" (Twickenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
I've owned quite a few programming books in my time, but this is far and away the most thumbed I've ever had. As other reviewers have noted, it's not the book for you if you want to learn PHP from scratch (but then you're probably better off following one of the many excellent online tutorials instead). But it's well organised and packed with great, well written and succint examples. I've used it to solve specific problems, and also just to dip into and get ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars PHP Cookbook, 13 May 2011
This review is from: PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
I purchased this book a few weeks ago, probably one of the best books that I have bought. Although it may not be for the beginner in PHP, the content is well laid out with plenty of excellent examples.

I now have this book near by as a reference book, I have learnt so many new ways to code in PHP, well worth purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, I use it for work, 22 Aug 2012
The book is a good book overall. I really recommend it for any php developer.. beginner or intermediate. It is all what you need to become a good php developer.

Too bad teh book is a bit old and doesnt have a comprehensive section on database.. e.g. pdo, prepared statement and application security.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 10 April 2013
This review is from: PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
Didn't have the chance to start reading it yet. Just a diagonal view and has so many useful information to learn!
In terms of conditions, it's perfect. Handled with care.

5.0 out of 5 stars good cook, 5 Mar 2011
Vignaux "LVdesign" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
C'est un très bon livre de recettes php. Avec quelques ingrédients restant dans votre placard ou qui vous posent des problèmes d'association, on vous presente la meilleur des solutions et mme différentes solutions.
pas mal non et pas mauvais du tout?

PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly))
PHP Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) by David Sklar (Paperback - 4 Sep 2006)
28.29