5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant book, must have buy for Photoshop users
This is probably the best ever book for learning Photoshop CS. It could be used by an absolute begginer, but even more experienced users will find things in here that they did not know.
Published on 25 Mar. 2004 by Stephen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected
I saw the uniformly excellent reviews and bought the book. It is good and I have found it useful for quite a few processing operations.
Published 23 months ago by Dr. G. Austin

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant book, must have buy for Photoshop users, 25 Mar. 2004
Stephen "Stephen" (BILLINGHAM, Co. Durham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Deke really is an absolute master trainer, his style is just brilliant. He does not go over the top either, as so many american instructors can do, his approach is first rate. The tutorials seem to have been designed to pack knowledge into the shortest amount of space possible.
As an added bonus there is also two hours of training on the cd along with all the files you need for the tutorials. When so many books leave out the vital files on the CD, this one doesn't, so rest assured. It really is an excellent value book for Photoshop users - snap it up! You won't be disappointed. Well done Deke!

5.0 out of 5 stars Photo editing made easy., 9 Oct. 2004
I'm completely new to image editing, and was very aprehensive when trying to get to grips with quite a powerful piece of software (Adobe CS).
The author guides you through most applications that you'll need to know & he doesn't bog you down with too much info.
Everything is set out clearly, it makes the learning experience much more easy that you just want to go on & keep studying!
The cd rom is very good with the lessons included.
Thumbs up from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly as the description says, 1 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS2 One-on-One (Paperback)
Photoshop CS2 One-on-One is a book with very good flow. Each chapter has a video that is designed to be watched before attempting the exercises. This method solidifies what Deke is telling you and maximises the information exracted from each lesson.
I have used Photoshop for many years but it has all be self-taught. I decided to get this book to fill in the theory behind the functions and also to add knowledge - I can happily say it has done all I wanted and more. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to learning Photoshop CS, 28 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
This is a great introduction to photoshop CS.
Each chapter begins with a video lesson, which gives an overview of what you're about to learn. You then get the opportunity to practice the theory with very a precise set of instructions and all of the images supplied on the disk.
The author'style is just right (although he sounds a bit nasal at times and I find myself copying his accent as I'm listening).
One thing which impresses me (which has frustrated me with some of the other CS books that I have bought) is that when an example is referred to in the text, it is precisely referenced by page and figure number.
For beginners, it provides a structured and easy way to learn. For more advanced users, I'm sure that there are some little gems of information that even you didn't know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the fear out of Photoshop!, 3 July 2007
P. Barclay "professional technophile" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS2 One-on-One (Paperback)
Adobe Photoshop is the best and the worst program for amateur photographers. It is the best because it is used by almost every professional and the results speak for themselves. However, for the amateur, it is the "worst" because it requires a highly methodical approach to take a photograph from start to finish - you have to know what you are doing otherwise you can easily end up with a dogs dinner!

I have tried reading several other books on Photoshop and they all have an immediate hypnotic effect, sending me straight to sleep.

Deke McClelland is a fanstastic tutor. He talks to you directly in language that really makes sense. He then gives step by step instructions and provides fantastic illustrations of each point so you can understand what is happening on screen. It is like having a professional photo editor looking over your shoulder whilst you work. He even provides a high resolution DVD ROM that gives hours of video tuition. At full price it's great value for money but Amazon goes one better and gives a further £10 discount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers a multitude of tasks!, 23 July 2004
C. Hall (Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been dabbling with Photoshop for years and never really unleashed its massive capabilities after reading this book and following the video tutorials I am well on the way. This is a very good way to learn Photoshop at your own pace in your own time. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it..., 25 Mar. 2010
Dorian (Ammanford, S. Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS2 One-on-One (Paperback)
Having been a photoshop user for approx 2yrs and tried self teach / various magazine 'tips / tutorials' I thought it time to get a proper manual. I initially bought Mr Evenings Adobe Photoshop for Photographers, don't get me wrong it's a good manual but assumes one has a good grasp of Photoshop. Having then bought CS2 one to one the flood gates opened. This is a well constructed tutorial with video reference to accompany the various stages. It's worth reading and following the early chapters then going back over the exercises with your own library of pics.
It's full of tips and extra 'challenges' plus end of chapter Q&A. This will be a great reference book to revisit and remind / brush up on skills. Get it, you'll not be sorry.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected, 5 July 2013
Dr. G. Austin "Graham Austin" (Black Country UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS2 One-on-One (Paperback)
BUT, it seems more for graphic artists than photographers to me. I had to go to the Net to find where the lens correction was (it is one of several 'distortion' filters. Deke doesn't mention removing distortion - only adding it to a picture of his son to make him look like a mutant.
Maybe there is a book on CS2 which is more for photographers who want to gently enhance rather than seriously doctor their images.
I doubt that I shall do graphic tricks like putting clouds in a plain sky and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book, 20 Mar. 2014
Adrian Roper "adrian roper" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS2 One-on-One (Paperback)
As a photo retoucher who still works with CS2, I found the books on CS2 can be purchase very cheap on Amazon, due to that Adobe Photoshop is now on CC, and you will find the books on Photoshop CC a lot more,so I have found I can still learn and use most of the tools in photoshop CS2 just as well without upgrade to CC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 27 Mar. 2013
I was very happy with my used book purchase. It was as described and the cd that accompanies the book had never been used.

Adobe Photoshop CS2 One-on-One
Adobe Photoshop CS2 One-on-One by Deke McClelland (Paperback - 4 Aug. 2005)