4.0 out of 5 stars Probably more suited to Intermediate/Advanced users
Published on 16 Sep 2007 by Warsteiner

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay book
Thus book is okay but unfortunately about half of it is just Linux man pages. If I wanted to read man pages then I'd do so on the computer... for free!
Published 6 months ago by Dp Davison

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably more suited to Intermediate/Advanced users, 16 Sep 2007
Warsteiner (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
I've just started using Linux (Fedora 7) and I was looking for a book that would help me learn the commands and how to do the more tricky things in Linux. The commands in the book are arranged alphabetically, which is not much good if you do no know the command in the first place i.e. if you want to know how to delete a directory you are going to have to know the 'rm' command before being able to jump to the right page in the book. For beginners this isn't recommended (get the Linux Essential Commands Pocket Guide instead) but if you're intermediate/advanced then this is a good book. I've no doubt that I'll refer back to this book in 3/4 months or so but at the moment I won't be using it much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A starter for all, 14 Oct 2004
I found this book to be extremely useful. It greatly improved my understanding of how Linux works and, more importantly, how to use the command line - which is very powerful. It also helped me understand the directory structuring, enabling me to find files that I needed to configure, and these files have been consistantly in the same place with the Distros I have used to date.
Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Reference For Linux Users, 8 May 2005
C. S. Le - See all my reviews
Ok so what if you can find the man pages of a certain command on the internet....wouldn't it be easier if you could find it on a book much quicker?? Then this book is for you.....this book not only gives you commands to perform certain tasks, it also shows you other functions to that particular command as well..there are also short tutorials on how to use vi emacs etc.....so this book is a really good book if you use linux all the time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Linux in a Nutshell, 13 Nov 2003
For anyone who wants to get into the 'nitty-gritty' of Linux, this is ESSENTIAL!!!!
More of a book for those who already have an idea of what Linux is all about!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay book, 1 Feb 2014
Dp Davison "Rikkouri" (UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars A printed collection of manpages, 27 Nov 2007
L. GREGOIRE "Laurent GRÉGOIRE" (Amsterdam, NL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
80% of this book is a collection of printed man-pages, ordered alphabetically, with no major improvements or added value. The only useful informations on this book is the index of commonly used commands, sorted by topic; and a few introductory chapters.

If you prefer reading on paper and have a few bucks to spend, buy this book. Otherwise, stick on the good old man pages; often more accurate, up-to-date, and "grep-able"... And conveniently located on your screen, where you need it the most. Typing man is always faster than getting the book from the bookshelf, open the index and finally find the page.

Believe me, I own the book, I never use it. Internet + man are your best friends.

Linux in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
Linux in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) by Arnold Robbins (Paperback - 6 Aug 2005)
Used & New from: £1.95