4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all
Hmm, not sure what your last reviewer was reading but it doesn't seem to be this book - chapter 11 covers Messenger and Outlook Express has the whole chapter of chapter 12 devoted to it! I found the book well written and not patronising and pretty comprehensive.
As the title suggests, this is the manual that should have been in the box.
Published on 3 May 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars The Missing manual.
This book is what it says it is but I have not found it to be any better than other manuals, most of which are too full of jargon and technicalities for self taught computer users.
Published 14 months ago by G. H. Hellewell

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 3 May 2003
By A Customer
As the title suggests, this is the manual that should have been in the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong overall, 8 May 2004
What I admire about this book is the overall balance, both between topics and in level of complexity. True, it does not deal exhaustively with every aspect of XP. But for someone wanting a printed version of the difficult to use help facility Microsoft now offers us, I think this will be very useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Missing manual., 3 May 2013
G. H. Hellewell (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows XP Home Edition: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows XP Home Edition The Missing Manual, 6 Jan 2013
Ian (Sheffield, South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
It's Great it came a few days after I had Purchased it. But the manual what ever Windows versions you get from this series still does not tell you how to solve the Windows Start Up Errors like the Windows Protection Error Message or the Stop Error Screen Message and does not come with Installation CD and Floppy Disk for Troubleshooting and reinstalling Windows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows XP books, 8 Feb 2012
JHvW "JHvW" (Pays Bas, Europe) - See all my reviews
Because I have been using XP for some time now and people kept showing me things I did not know existed, I decided to buy some books. As these books are now very cheap and XP is still a popular OS I ordered these through Amazon. They arrived promptly and were as promised. They are a great reference.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you really are a technophobe, you could buy it... but..., 8 Feb 2003
By A Customer
I have recently borrowed a copy of this book from a friend, who said they had no need of it, and, seeing as I had just purchased a Windows XP computer, felt it would be of some use to me. I am a relitavely experienced user, but still felt that the book might be of some use.
How wrong I was, the book spends most of the time pointing out the new User interface, but shows the user little that they couldn't find out through use. There's nothing on how to maintain the PC, nothing on Outlook express, and, I am appauled to say, NOTHING AT ALL about remote assistance, messenger or outlook, even the media player is barely covered...
If you need help finding the power switch, this may be of some use, however, I feel that it really is not worth the money

Windows XP Home Edition: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Windows XP Home Edition: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) by David Pogue (Paperback - 26 Dec 2004)
15.99