Format: PaperbackChange

on 25 January 2005
I have been waiting for a book like this for some time. Whilst not quite a Linux newbie, there is a lot I still have to learn and wish to find out about. I already have a reasonable library of books, but they tend to be of the "complete" series types, which have the information but it takes some time to find. On the other hand, the Linux Cookbook has it all there, all well laid out and properly explained. And its not just for the everyday Linux admin type jobs, there are some in-depth subjects covered. The 'recipe' and the jaunty have-a-go style for me is a real winner. Carla is obviously very enthusiastic about Linux, and this comes across in all the recipes. Well worth the money, highly recommended, this book is always on my desk.
on 22 February 2005
This book just tells you how to do the tasks poorly explained elsewhere. I messed around with YAST for 2 days trying to setup postfix - Courier IMAP. This book had it going in less than an hour (because I type slowly). It's got useful stuff on topics like RPM and YUM which are just not documented this well elsewhere, and anyone who would use Debian if only they knew more, this is the answer too. If you've never quite had the courage to compile and install from source, it's here, and because all the other things from this book work, you'll finally have the courage to do it.
This book is the pinnacle of O'Reilly's skill at publishing "just damn useful books".
PS Thanks to Dawn Marie for giving Carla the time to write this book.
on 5 July 2008
To be honest I expected this book (given the title) to be a bit more like the standard "Unix Power Tools" type of thing so I was a little surprised at the contents. I work with Linux everyday its the standard desktop environment in the company were I work. There is some excellent reference material here. But:

The writing style is clearly aimed at beginners. However,
I find it a curious mix of beginners' topics and Systems Administration material. It may be the ideal manual for someone just starting in a company were Unix/Linux based systems are the default development /deployment and testing environments. It may not get you to advanced-super-guru status but it would be a reasonable introduction.

There's less here for the user of a personal Linux system. A substantial amount of the material is never likely to be useful at home except to the most serious of hobbyists or perhaps comp-sci students. I'd advise all those considering the purchase of a Linux reference to examine the Table of Contents thoroughly.

From a professional point of view I found the material simplistic but generally clear. It's enough to get you up and running in areas were you have little or no experience. It's a useful, but by no means complete reference.
on 2 June 2015