5.0 out of 5 stars Head First has nailed it!
Although, I am only halfway through the book (at the time of writing), I have been more than impressed with it. The skills the book has introduced to me are very practical, I have been able to apply them into my own work immediately. The book has not been afraid to repeat points, commands, etc - in fact that is one of the key concepts to the books way of teaching...
Published on 1 Nov 2009 by G. Hayward

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle version!
Published 10 months ago by Kate Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Head First has nailed it!, 1 Nov 2009
G. Hayward (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)

However, my one criticism for the book is the chapters are very long and I find it takes several hours to work through each one. For that reason it is more of a Sunday afternoon book and hence why I'm only halfway through it.

I would recommend this book to anyone that has read a few books on the subject of PHP MySQL as well as complete newbies, as it has consolidated what I already knew and introduced new ideas without being boring or insulting. In fact in many ways I wish I had read this book first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but still better book to learn PHP, 9 April 2011
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)
I've tried to learn PHP many times before using several sources, but this one was the only learn material that did succeed.

They use examples and a lot of humor to make PHP fun, it was money well worth it, however the book isn't perfect, sometimes they give you a task but no solutions, also there are a few minor coding errors, but the big plus of this book is the on-line forum community for the book is really good and every time I came across a code error/got stuck someone on the forum was able to help me. if you've tried everything to learn PHP, try this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars as always, the best tutorial around, 25 Jun 2010
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)
These Head first books are incredibly good value for money. They take the reader from an absolute beginner to a competent programmer in the time it takes to read the book. I heartily recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle version!, 31 Aug 2013
Kate Walker "Gorgeous Kate" (Oblivion) - See all my reviews
I already have the Head First Javascript book and like the quirky style of writing. However, for cost reasons and because I have far too many technical manuals in my house (they're taking over each room!) ... I decided to purchase the Kindle version for my v1 Kindle. Whilst I am enjoying most of the text (after clicking through all the "blowing their own trumpets" bit) the pictures are just annoying because I have to zoom in on every one and the wording is in a sort of handwriting which doesn't really transpose well on a Kindle.
However, that said, I am still working through it and loving the downloadable content available on-line. The working theme throughout the book is someone setting up a database to try and find their dog which was abducted by aliens. I think it's important to get with their way of thinking but it's a shame it gets a little American from time to time. That said, I would recommend this book to absolute beginners who know HTML and CSS and are ready for the next step.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book - but not for kindle, 28 Aug 2013
A good introduction to PHP / MySQL. But the style isn't suited to kindle because the graphics and screenshots of the code make it difficult and touring to read. I've given up and spent another £20 on a real printed version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and addictive, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)
This is a must have for everyone who are initiating in MySQL an PHP. This book doesn't replace a good reference book beacause it doesn't cover every MySQL and PHP aspect, but for an initiation book, it's perfect. It keeps you focused because the examples are quite funny and simple to understand, but they can be funny and professional at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Head First PHP & MySQL, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)
When I was trying to teach myself Java I tried a number of disappointing books before I eventually found "Head First Java", so when I needed to learn PhP and MySql I ordered the Head First book straight away. If you want to start with the classic 'Hello World' method, then forget this book. But if you want to start doing some real world programming from day one then this is the way to go. The book introduces concepts by building on the project you create in the previous chapter. Problems are identified, you have to think about why they exist and what you can do to overcome them. Then, low and behold, in the next chapter another aspect of PHP or MySQL is introduced so that you can improve and enhance your project. Another great part of the book is the Annex that explains how to download and install all the server and database software that you need. Ok, I admit that this book does not give you a deep theoretical understanding of PHP or MySQL, but there are plenty of academic books if that's what you want. However, provided you actually do the programming chapter by chapter, and build the projects (perhaps even create your own along the way) you will finish this book with enough skills to build a fairly complex interactive web site full of persistent data.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 July 2011
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)
An alround great book, introduces the language in a way thats fun and interesting.
Keeps you wanting to turn the next page as opposed to books that talk about boring math examples and put you to sleep like the "Deitel" series of books i spent a fortune on.

The only book head first have not impressed me on is the C# one.
C# is a very complex language and also need to learn .NET, so to fit aall that into a beginners book is a little complex and is too "Manic" and too much happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to learn, 6 Jun 2011
Sarah Edwards - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)
This is a great reference for beginners and those at an intermediate level. I truly wish my teachers at school had been as thorough and tongue-in-cheek serious at the same time!

Some reviewers have commented that it is too basic but I disagree. Rather like I think compulsory driving re-tests should be introduced every 10 years or so, it should also be compulsory to re-read technical "manuals" such as this, as it easily highlights your bad habits which are bound to creep in over time!

It's almost as if you have a personal tutor standing over your shoulder as you read.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best PHP book for beginners!, 7 May 2011
A. Kwabula (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)
Excellent for beginners. However it is not good for reference as it explains everything in terms of projects so if you want to loook up particular functions, chances are you will not be successful. You lear about arrays,, variables, sessions, cookies and so on, by doing excercises. There are brief explanations of these at the beginning but the methord the book uses is to teach you as you do.

This is the first book that enabled me to have a PHP scrpt that connects to a MySQL Database. I first used code from the book, then modified it to do other things and finally I could write my own code. For a beginner, I can't think of a better book than this one. You will be able to see the application growing. It has a large community of aspring programmers or O'reilly, so you can askl questions on the forums if you are stack.

It's a hilarious way of learning. You start with a problem then you solve it in stages and even the code is arranged that way. Along the way problems are introduced and solved. You get involved by typing code so you learn by doing. In this way you build up your knowledge adding concepts as you ascend. I can now create XML Feeds, after doing an excercise from this book.

After you know how to program, you will hate the book, and that may be the right time to pass it to your young sister or the local council library.

Conclusion: The best PHP book for beginners! It just can't be beat in that category, at least according to me!

Head First PHP & MySQL
Head First PHP & MySQL by Michael Morrison (Paperback - 1 Jan 2009)