TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 April 2008
So many books are thick, wordy, and conceal their nuggets of wisdom, but not this one. It's not big, so you won't find full details on (eg) all of the many Linux email clients - but they get a mention.
Works well for me (ex BSD 4.x sysop in the 1980s) as well as friends with no previous knowledge of operating systems. It's the examples that are such a help - most of the things we've needed to do are covered with a brief, relevant example. We use it with Ubuntu mainly - Debian distros are not identical to Fedora but we've not seen a problem - both are Linux and conform to the POSIX standard.
Reading it cover-to-cover is logical, informative, and highly recommended. Three times, and the info is starting to stick..... Then keep it handy to look things up when you need them! Highly recommended.
on 6 May 2004
The book is the perfect pocket guide to Linux. Never mind the Fedora slant. This book will introduce you to all the important commands and if you want to take anything further O'Reilly's "Linux in a Nutshell" is the perfect companion.
11 comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2005
I don't envy Mr Barrett's task with this book. Everybody has a slightly different wishlist of commands to go in a book like this; it's impossible to please everybody. That said, I think he's got it about as close to perfection as possible. This book has an incredible amount of useful info in a usefully small volume. If like me you can normally remember the command, but always struggle to remember the right option (which one do you add to TAR for BZ2 files?) this book is a godsend.
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2004
This is an excellent reference to Linux commands - perfect when you need to get something done, but do not know the command to use, or cannot remember the syntax of a particular command. Top drawer! I have had the O'Reilly "Running Linux" book for a number of years, but this book is a great companion/replacement.
on 9 February 2008
If you do choose to explore the command line interface of Linux this may be the only book you need buy. True, if you are setting up a network or a LAMP server you will need much more, but if your goal is to gain an insight into what goes on under the hood of Linux or you just need an aide memoire for common Linux commands, this is the best book available. Written in a style that works both as a tutorial and a reference work its only real weakness is the absence of a simple quick reference guide to Linux commands - you have to rely on the index. Although it aims at a Fedora audience, there is probably no user of any other distro that won't find this book worth the purchase price. And it's a very convenient size to literally slip into your pocket.
on 19 January 2005
I'm surprised how often it's got what I'm looking for - with something I didn't know on almost every page - though I've used Linux for several years now.
Also recommended as a newbie's survival guide.
Inexpensive and excellent.
on 21 June 2006
If you just want to know how to use linux in 10 mins, this is the book for you. Teaches you what you need to know, without getting caught up in any specifics. As well as teaching you all the standard linux commands (and some application specific ones for RedHat), this book gives a brief overview about other things you'll need to understand about linux, such as how the file system works. Recommended.
on 27 July 2010
I became fascinated by Linux a few years ago, and for me you improved on my Linux skills i needed a no nonsense Book that was easy to read and understand. This is the Book i choose, and i haven't looked back...Get it if you're interested in learning about LINUX.
on 23 June 2010
The opening chapter of the book offers this guide as both an introduction to Linux and a quick reference guide. I think it is very effective at the latter. However, it is a little dense for the newcomer, and was much more useful to me once I'd mastered the basics of Linux.

There seems to be a fairly comprehensive list of commands and options, and helpfully organises these according to function rather than just an alphabetical list.
on 17 September 2011
Excellent little book. Even though it's a reference book, I've read it from start to end. But that's just me, I wanted to try all the commands. I am sure it will get handy in day to day activities. To bad it doesn't have a search functionality :) I am definitely recommend this book to novice/intermediate users. For me, at least, the next step is shell scripting. I think "Classical shell scripting" from O'Reilly.
Even though the book is written with regards to Fedora, I have run all the commands on Ubuntu 11.04 (some packages needed to be installed via "sudo get-install") and it has worked just great.

All in all I definitely recommend this little jewel.