5.0 out of 5 stars The codification of Perl
If you already program in Perl you know that "Programming Perl" is the de facto reference of the language. I haven't met Perl Mongers citing randomly from it, but we are not that far from it :) . If you're new to Perl, well now you know what you will be reading soon.

Published 20 months ago by cram

3.0 out of 5 stars I would buy another book
I bought this to refresh my memory of Perl and of its strength in using regular expressions. This book seems to jump about a lot in its explanation of Perl and introduces concepts without explaining them, which I found very confusing, expecially as I was reading it on a Kindle and couldn't thumb through the book to find other sections quickly!

Unfortunately it...
Published 3 months ago by J. Ling

5.0 out of 5 stars The codification of Perl, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Programming Perl: Unmatched power for text processing and scripting (Paperback)

This brings us to the targeted public of this book and that's a tricky question. In my opinion, if you're new to Perl -or new to programming- you are better served by "Learning Perl" (or a similar book). On the other hand, if you are an experienced programmer you'll learn Perl from "Programming Perl" with a deep understanding of the language as a bonus. But 1184 pages may be a little too much to get your feet wet.

Don't return the book to Amazon yet or you take the tutorial-road: your copy will serve you well for years to come as reference for the less obvious aspects of the language (and let's be honest, there are several). So, this book is not a tutorial book. It's neither, unlike what I just wrote, a pure reference book. The book is very well written, with just enough humour (also: as not "too much") to make the 1184 pages digestible to get a deeper insight of the language, something that can not be said of many reference books that are written in a "phone book" style.

The previous versions dates from the year 2000 and covers ancient perls preceding the Perl revival and modernisation we're enjoying today. Well, if this book is so important for the language -the codification of the language as it were- and well written to be enjoyable, the authors should be lucky to not face trial for the Perl riots while waiting for the update of the book. More seriously, the update was indeed urgently needed and kudos to the authors: writing this kind of book (content and reputation) is hard. It helps that Larry, the creator of Perl, is part of the team. A great read.

Discuss the review at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars *The* Perl book, 26 May 2012
As expected, a thorough presentation of one of the most powerful computer languages today. I have been using this language for a few years, for projects ranging from one liners to full blown network daemons, and I think mostly anything can be done with it. Even after all these years, the book gave me a lot of information, on how this great language came to be, how it works, and how it should be used. The book is easy to read, with good examples. The language is presented in a funny way, and the whole book is infused by the freedom and power given to the programmer bz Perl.

3.0 out of 5 stars I would buy another book, 4 Jan 2014
J. Ling (UK) - See all my reviews

Unfortunately it didn't help with regular expressions - it mentioned them on occasion but not all in one place and I had to resort to Google in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perl Book 4th edition, 27 Jan 2013
Dennis D. Jensen (Denmark) - See all my reviews
An excellent update of a master tome. It manages to really come around everything Perl. The writing is kept in the known conversational tone with the occasional humor bits that you'd expect from Larry Wall and company. A worthy update of a modern classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate Perl bible, zesty reading, 9 Dec 2012
Although I haven't read the first quarter of it yet (more than a thousand pages) it's obvious that this is the ultimate reference for everything Perl. It also makes for a pleasant read, as the authors abuse of humorous references and tongue-in-cheek statements specially appealing for the brainier bunch. There is also (at least in the first chapters) a concern with the linguistic background and semantic capabilities of Perl, exposed frequently.

However, the sheer volume and pacing may not be suitable for newcomers to Perl. I'd recommend this book as an addition to 'Learning Perl' by Randal L. Schwartz, Brian D Foy & Tom Phoenix. This book offers a quicker, effective hands-on introduction to Perl with a very similar refreshing tone of writing.

ARRAY(0xaa82eb88)