4.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible tools for text manipulation
Unix has earned itself quite a reputation for its potent tools, used for batch editing of text files (like program output). Sed and Awk are two of these tools. Sed is a direct descendent of Ed, the original Unix line editor, which employs <I>regular expressions</I>, a powerful method for description of patterns in text, for operations like substitute,...
Published on 2 May 2000 by Primoz Peterlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Book
Generally I love the pocket guide books, This book is only 46 pages. I feel that given the power of Sed and Awk the book could have been a little longer.
Published 7 months ago by Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Book, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: sed and awk Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good approach, 18 Jun 2012
This book demystified SED and AWK, a subject that, I don't know, seemed to be so obscure. I really like the approach around the subject with a lot of examples and the language used by the author. I definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Oct 2009
Mr. Mark Plant "origamimark" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
To become proficient in any powerful programming language you really have to emerse yourself in it for some time, and sed and awk are absolutely in that catagory. This little book is therefore a vital aid to short-cutting that process allwoing you to make the most of all the power there is in those utilities. Vital for both beginners and seasoned veterans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtedly the KEY reference for sed and awk, 9 April 2000
By A Customer
These are the heart of text processing on unix systems and this book manages a comprehensive analysis of how to use these in most situations. I have literally saved days of work in an hour using awk scripts built from the knowledge gained reading this book. Buy it.. buy it now..

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks to Dougherty & Robbins, 8 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Of all the O'Reilly books that I have read, "Sed & Awk" rates the most highly. As a tutorial it really is superb: it is well written, the learning curve is just about right, and the examples are concise and instructive. The chapter on regular expressions is particularly good. My only gripe with the text is that, as a reference tool, it can be cumbersome to navigate.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the wannabe UNIX wizard, 24 April 1999
By A Customer
This is a good book. Although I find some of the information that I need. There seems to be a fair amount that's concealed by the books approach to each topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amaze & Astound your work mates :), 25 Feb 1999
By A Customer
simple yet powerful commands, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessity for every Unix System Administrator, 10 Nov 1998
By A Customer
This is a well written technical book. It will lead you from the very basic to the most advance concept of sed & awk. It will first build a good foundation by explaining the basics of reg. exps. then gradually teach you how to apply it using the editors.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to use, and hard to follow, 6 Oct 2000
Jonathan Bryce (Waitakere NZ) - See all my reviews
I guess it's just me, but when I want to use AWK I reach for this book, spend an hour trying to find something, try a few test programs which the book infers will hang together, and then give up and reach for either "UNIX in a nutshell" or another script which does something similar. I find the book misses several basics - it assumes that I'm at a level I'm not and never takes me there itself. And I feel that it should.

sed and awk Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
sed and awk Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly)) by Arnold Robbins (Paperback - 22 Jun 2002)
6.15