4.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible tools for text manipulation
Published on 2 May 2000 by Primoz Peterlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Book
Generally I love the pocket guide books, This book is only 46 pages. I feel that given the power of Sed and Awk the book could have been a little longer.
Published 7 months ago by Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible tools for text manipulation, 2 May 2000
Unix has earned itself quite a reputation for its potent tools, used for batch editing of text files (like program output). Sed and Awk are two of these tools. Sed is a direct descendent of Ed, the original Unix line editor, which employs <I>regular expressions</I>, a powerful method for description of patterns in text, for operations like substitute, append or delete. Awk is a complete scripting language with programming structures like conditionals, loops, functions etc., developed in 1970's by Alfred Aho, Brian Kernighan and Peter Weinberger (hence A-W-K). The trio has also written a book on Awk.

Dale Dougherty (in the 2nd edition with Arnold Robbins, maintainer of GNU Awk and author of several more books on Awk programming language) have made a good job in making a thoroughly readable tutorial on Sed and Awk. However, it remains a mystery to me how they succeeded to fill no less than 407 pages with it. Mind you, Sed and Awk are not really some big monsters. There exist something like two dozens of operators in Sed (most of them you will probably never use), and the syntax of Awk mimics those of C programming language, so it is likely that you know it already. Once you grok the idea of regular expressions, you should become a proficient user of Awk in about 30 minutes.

In conclusion, go buy the book if your need to manipulate text files on Unix and you think you need a lengthy tutorial with a gentle learning curve. Otherwise, short references on Awk and Sed, like the ones in <I>Unix Power Tools</I> and a bunch of examples showing some tricks you might not think of, will probably be more useful. In addition, it is good to know that during the nineties, much of the focus has drifted from Awk to Perl, so you might consider a book on Perl as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle guide to two daunting tools., 29 April 1999
By A Customer
Sed & Awk are two of the most hostile looking Unix utilities. Although I was an experienced shell scripter I was terrified of Sed & Awk until I got this book. It's an excellently written guide, starting very simply without being too basic and working up to some complex concepts.
I use sed/awk daily now, they're extremely useful tools.
If this make VERY heavy use of these tools I'd also recommend reading another O'Reilly book - "Mastering Regular Expressions"

5.0 out of 5 stars pocket version of seminal work, 24 Mar 2006
This review is from: sed and awk Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
suprisingly you can learn awk from this tiny book. synacticly awk can fit on 2-3 a4 pages anyway. for a good grounding in the approach and feel of these tools get the classic o'reilly tome, but for a goodish intro, refresher or reference this is excellent too

5.0 out of 5 stars really excellent cant praise it enough!, 15 Nov 2001
By A Customer
I purchased this book over a year ago now when I was doing a shell scripting course at university and couldnt understand a thing the lecturer was saying! This book took me out of the hole I was in and passed me the course, no doubt about it.
As if that werent enough, I have recently undertaken the LPIC1 certification and again this book was worth its weight in gold. I was studying basic use of sed in the certification guide and deicded to brush up on regular expressions and the use of sed and again, out came this book and again, within a few hours it was all made clear.
There is a large chapter on regular expressions thrown in so there's no need to buy a separate book on those unless your going in heavy, the material taught in this book is advanced enough for all but the most masochistic of people!
Thoroughly good read very impressive book. Well worth the money. Its one of the most satisfying feelings when you finally crack a regexp and get the sed script to spit out what you need!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has saved my bacon, 4 July 2004
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Say what you will about the depth of this book. I am here to tell you that on more than one occasion this book has saved my bacon. Several times in different environments I needed to use sed to correct data in flat files. Once I used sed to change the format and numbers when we wanted to match accounting numbers to a different system. I haven't used that much awk. However there has been occasion to transfer awk programs from one UNIX to a different UNIX flavor. I found that the regular awk in this book was newer than the newawk in the other system. I Still keep the book handy incase I get squeezed for time and have to manipulate files. However I am learning more and more to appreciate PERL on those occasions.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book for any advanced UNIX user/administrator, 31 May 2000
sed and awk are two of the most essential UNIX utilities and I knew I had to get to grips with them. You can rely on O'Reilly for a good technical book and this has to be one of their best.
This is NOT a reference guide. It is an excellent tutorial which is written in such as way that you can dip in and refer to sections in isolation. The writing style is the right balance between light humour and technical detail. It does seem to take a while to get started, but you soon realise that the thorough grounding is regular expressions is essential to make best use of the tools. One of the best UNIX books I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2012 - still valuable tools, 15 Feb 2012
Old Dozen (Wessex, England) - See all my reviews
Many. many years ago I had a job converting data from all kinds of sources into a format for uploading to Oracle databases and this book was joined to my hip. Twenty odd years down track, I still have jobs where I use sed and awk because they are the simplest way of doing them and I still use this book. It is a clear and excellent tutorial, reference and masterclass useful to both novice and expert.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a must for anyone working with UNIX, 4 Mar 1998
By A Customer
The book provides a good intro to sed and awk and regular expressions in general. I recommend it for anyone that spends any time at a shell prompt. Even if you think you know these 2 tools you should give this one a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks to Dougherty & Robbins, 8 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Of all the O'Reilly books that I have read, "Sed & Awk" rates the most highly. As a tutorial it really is superb: it is well written, the learning curve is just about right, and the examples are concise and instructive. The chapter on regular expressions is particularly good. My only gripe with the text is that, as a reference tool, it can be cumbersome to navigate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent command resume, 25 April 2014
A good compilation of command resume and how do you do scripts based on.
Doesn't expect complex examples for your daily scripting.

sed and awk Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
sed and awk Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly)) by Arnold Robbins (Paperback - 22 Jun 2002)