5.0 out of 5 stars Answers all those "Hmmm" questions, 11 Oct 2002
David L Shepherd (Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TCP/IP Network Administration (Paperback)
I thought I had a good understanding of TCP/IP, but with the need to grasp Mail Services and SSH, I started to get lost.
This book helped me no end. I read it through cover to cover and it gave me a much better understanding of not only TCP/IP but some of the more popular services that run over it. It covers basic TCP/IP methodology (including the dreaded ISO seven layer model), through subnet masking and routing as well as basic DNS, Sendmail and Apache configuration.
I now feel I can go back and read the Bat (Sendmail) and Grasshoppers (DNS & BIND) books and get a lot more out of them.
This book looks like it will fit firmly in among the numerous other O'Reilly books on my desk. I'm thinking - do O'Reilly offer a discount if I buy all of there books ;-)
I would recommend this book to people who think they know enough to get by, and those just entering into the world of TCP/IP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not much to say, 8 April 2003
This review is from: TCP/IP Network Administration (Paperback)
I like the O'Reilly series and how they present information.
This is one of the first O'Reilly books I bought while working in an ISP and Web Hosting company and it became a cherished reference though my copy is older and their are bound to be revisions I can't recommend this enough for anyone who works with TCP/IP networks on any level.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any network administrator, 13 Dec 1998
By A Customer
In the first chapters this book crams in a lot of background info which makes you go "Ahh! So thats why....". The following chapters are the most clearly explained guide to 'actually doing it'. Well done the author, and all involved with the project.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Guide to TCP/IP, 26 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I have ordered the CD with this on since I have got fed up with lugging the paperback around with me between multiple sites. This is an invaluable reference to anyone who works with Unix and needs both a guide and a reference book for TCP/IP so it is something I really need to have to hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this book, 22 May 2001
If you have anything to do with administering a network then you should buy this book. It's as simple as that. All issues are clearly explained in a highly readable manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very goood, 14 May 2008
This review is from: TCP/IP Network Administration (Paperback)
what can I say about this book. it has verything you need to know about tcp ip network. I recomand this book to any one willing to dive into tcp/ip either advanced or novice. The book is not old even though it is printed 2002 all the concepts still used. the book is useful to both windows and linux/unix users

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting but still very useful, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: TCP/IP Network Administration (Paperback)
I was hoping for practical examples of how to set up more complex server networking configurations such as multi-homing, bridging, and load-balancing etc. These aren't the focus of this book, which nonetheless covers lots of other useful subject and I am pleased I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, another gen from O'Reilly, 5 Sep 1998
By A Customer
Another "must have" book from O'Reilly. I don't know how they manage it, but those guys are the masters of no-bull hard core technical writing. TCP/IP network administration is of the same high quality as all other works from this publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accesible, Clear and Comprehensive, 22 April 2002
David Toyne (Liverpool, Mersyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TCP/IP Network Administration (Paperback)
This book contains enerything you need to know to effectively administrate a Unix network. I found the troubleshooting section of the book to be very clear and immediately usefull to me.
Throughout this book always remains clear and readable. It has a series of clear examples running through the entire book to assist you in the learning process. Wether you wish to read the whole book at once or just the cover the sections you need I found this to be a very handy learning and reference tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 11 April 2000
By A Customer
I bought this book combined with TCP/IP blueprints and have to say it is a very good book! O'reilly have done it again!

TCP/IP Network Administration
TCP/IP Network Administration by Craig Hunt (Paperback - 14 April 2002)