5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, 25 Jun 2003
This review is from: Java In a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
'Java In A Nutshell' has always been the first resource I turn to when I need to look up some method or other in the Java runtime library. The release of Java 1.4 saw the RTL almost double in size and consequently this book is very much larger than previous editions. To conserve space, some features of the previous books have been discarded, notably the UML-style diagrams for each package (it was taking too long to create and maintain these so they were dropped). The book is divided into a number of sections: a language overview to start with, a concise programmer's guide, a command reference and then an enormous class reference, organized on a package-by-package basis. Previous edition of 'Java In A Nutshell' indicated the current pacakge with a tag on the side of the page. This has been removed, which is a big mistake as information is now much harder to find. This, however, is the only criticism that I have. Of all the Java books I have, this is the last I would have taken away from me. Note that the language reference and programmer's guide is probably too terse to learn the language from scratch unless you already know a language like C++.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!!, 14 May 2002
This review is from: Java In a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
As usual O'Reilly can do no wrong. An excellent indispensable guide to the basic Java language. The book does not pretent to go beyond the core language but is all the better for that. All the important concepts are covered in a consise manner - If you can't remember how something works the details are there and you won't have to read too much to get the point!
The greater part of the book is the reference section. This is nothing that you can't get off the Sun website for free, but I really like having it in printed form.
The one book I always have at my side when writing code - 'nuff said

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting - if you are a techy., 29 Mar 2003
I found this book to be
a) very heavy
b) full of programming examples
c) interesting in its course that it steers the reader on
Unlike most other Java books I have read, this book assumes little knowledge of C or C++. HOWEVER if you are a newcomer who just decides they want to learn Java, but has no proper computing knowledge then this book would NOT be one I'd recommend for you.
Oh and the first example in the book (factorial) doesn't compile on my system despite me going over it several times. The other code examples worked fine but I can't help feeling this needs addressing in some way. Nothing about this on the Sun Java website forum though. I will have to persevere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, not sure about the reference section, 18 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Java In a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) (Paperback)
I found the description of the Java language and associated tools that occupy the first part of this book very useful. The author has managed to accomplish the difficult trick of presenting a simple introduction that can also be used as a quick reference for more experienced Java programmers. There are some other weighty tomes on the market that do not achieve so much. I believe it is fair to say that you would need previous programming experience of some sort to make use of this book.
I did not find the API Quick Reference in the second half of the book quite so useful. I use a copy of the Sun online HTML documentation at java.sun.com myself. However, some may find that the compressed version in this book serves their purpose.

Java In a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
Java In a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) by David Flanagan (Paperback - 28 Mar 2002)
22.38
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available