5.0 out of 5 stars This book served its purpose.
Published on 27 Jan 2005 by bernie

1.0 out of 5 stars Not updated since 2002
This book has been wasted money for me. I am new to Apache and so needed a well structured introduction; unfortunately the book is not clearly written enough to provide that.

Published on 15 Aug 2007 by D. Rondell

5.0 out of 5 stars This book served its purpose., 27 Jan 2005
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apache: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
Now you may think that there are better books out there. And there maybe. However this book is a "five star" book. I bought this book for a beginning apache class. We were able to follow the instructions and down load the Apache server from the Internet. The only problem we had was with the NIS system that was not anticipated in this book. It was a lot more important to use this book to read the flat files and see how they were related to each other. The section on Extra Modules (chapter 12) gave a way to improve the server and go outside the scope of this book. This book covered more details than I was looking for; this ways different people can use the book to target their particular needs. You can safely say:
"This book has everything you need to set up an apache server."

1.0 out of 5 stars Not updated since 2002, 15 Aug 2007
D. Rondell (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apache: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)

One of the biggest issue is that it is very dated; a lot of the information is simply no longer relevant, and often no longer correct. It is desperately in need of a new version; ideally accompanied by a complete re-write.

The book's success has relied on the O'Reilly name and the fact that the competition is poor. I have had to turn to online docs and other internet resources to get the information I need.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the 21st century, 22 May 2007
This review is from: Apache: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
I cannot recall the last time I was left feeling that a book purchase was a complete waste of money. Firstly, let me say that I took an almost immediate dislike to the book, relegating it to the back of a cupboard after several chapters. I have two basic problems based on what I did read: the book is dated in its content and is dated in its style. Technically, a lot of the information provided seems obsolete in the face of the excellent Apache 2.x online documentation. Despite the bold declaration on the exterior that this edition now covers version 2.0 you'll still find a lot of old 1.3 examples within. The sections relating to topics such as server side logic and Tomcat connectivity are simply a joke and cannot have been updated since the second edition (circa last century).

The book is largely composed of content taken directly from the official Apache documentation. When the authors do provide original material it is often highly parochial and has a horrible tendency to veer off course. There is an obsession with FreeBSD that is virtually monomaniacal and rarely is the opportunity missed to take issue with win32 or display disdain for the popularity of Linux. The two authors conjure images of hoary old academics who never quite manage to put aside their technological bigotry and I simply cannot accept this tone in a technical book.

In its present form this title only serves to tarnish both the good name of O'Reilly and any confidence in Apache as a commercial solution. Unless you are running a seriously old version of the server you would be better advised to spend a little time searching the Web for practical answers to your problems. For more general information, the official Apache documentation is of course free, accurate and up-to-date.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Publication Date., 11 May 2014
I have this book with the same title and ISBN with a publication date of December 2002, so it would appear that the claimed 2013 date for the Kindle addition is misleading.

The discussion, in my printed edition, of certificate authorities for SSL out of date in that there was no mention of intermediate certificates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 7 Sep 2013
S. Keay - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apache: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
The second hand book market for those of us who still like to read a real book. Ben is extremely reliable and very prompt

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise text, 7 Feb 2004
S J. West (Gerrards Cross, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apache: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
Needed for a project (normally use other http stacks) and I had to configure two sites. Having all this information in one single place is great.
With the help of my book I transfered two sites from a non Microsoft http product to apache in an hour without any major hassles/downtime. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Text!, 3 Sep 2003
This review is from: Apache: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
This fantastic book is an essential read for any webmaster who wants to learn more about what goes on 'behind the scenes' of their website.
Once you've made your way through this book, you'll be configuring web servers like a pro (almost!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 3 Jun 2009
D. S. Smith "duncanssmith" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apache: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
Butterthlies? The example website throughout this confusing book is not even pronounceable. I spent a lot of time trying to pronounce it - each time I came across it in the text, and it was so annoying it really put me off and slowed my train of thought! I would not recommend this book for that reason alone.

Apache: The Definitive Guide
Apache: The Definitive Guide by Peter Laurie (Paperback - 28 Dec 2002)
28.79