4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to a truly excellent tool
Published on 10 Jun 2003 by C. C. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.
I written a few custom tasks for projects I have worked on. I got the book to see if there was anything else I could learn on building custom tasks.
The books contents itself is very disappointing. The first portion of the book deals with installing and compiling ANT to run. Something which you would learn if you checked the ANT website.
Secondly the book does...
Published on 7 Aug 2002 by Mr. Simon O'doherty

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 7 Aug 2002
Mr. Simon O'doherty (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ant: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
Secondly the book does not cover anything of ANT1.5 only 1.4.1. People starting off on ANT would want to know this as there are some differences between the versions which can cause problems.
The single biggest disappointment of the book however is that over half of it is just the javadoc from ANT 1.4.1. Which you can download for free. The ANT command documentation gives a lot more information then the javadoc (which is also free to download).
While there are certainly some good bits to the book, they are extremely few and far between. Certainly not enough to justify anything other then 2 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to a truly excellent tool, 10 Jun 2003
This review is from: Ant: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
Ant is the best thing to have happened to Java developers ever. I now can't imagine going back to my old way of working. It makes everything that you need to do during the development cycle - compilation, packaging, testing, deployment, etc. - almost trivially easy. It also makes impossible things possible; for example, I was writing some JNI code and simply could not get javah (the command line tool for generating C source code) to work. Coding a javah task in a buildfile took a couple of minutes and worked first time. Anyway, Ant is brilliant but I don't think that I would have been able to learn it without this book which combines a great tutorial with a well formatted and highly readable reference.

ARRAY(0xabdc0f24)

Ant:  The Definitive Guide
Ant: The Definitive Guide by Jesse Tilly (Paperback - 30 May 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01