Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2002
This book is a comprehensive and authoritative guide to web automation. It reads as both a gentle tutorial and a well organized reference. Basic HTTP operation, regexp HTML parsing, tokenizing, cookie authentication, form handling, and robot spidering are covered extensively in numerous case studies and practical examples.
Naturally, I was impressed by the simple, consistent treatment of examples: inspect source and find the interesting bits, code things up and then enhance to suit. :-)
A particularly satisfying thing to me is the sane way of working, that the author assumes. So many people seem to just bungle their way through web programming while ignoring basics like the robots.txt file. This book helps to prevent this.
One would think that only a thick tome would be sufficient to cover such vast territory, but the author (who is an active LWP module developer) does a fabulous job covering this extensive subject matter.
I recommend this book both to anyone starting out on their way to working with the underside of the web and to accomplished professionals in need of a full reference manual.
on 11 August 2002
A satisfyingly short (242p) book that covers its subject perfectly. The examples are well written and explained and are ideal for using as a starting point for your own work. Within 15 minutes I had written a script to fetch pages of football results from a web site, process the data and produce files for uploading to my database. Previous I did this by downloading the html and editing it by hand - automating it will save me about 30 minutes a week.
Of course it's an O'Reilly title so the attractive layout, typography and attention to detail goes without saying. I would heartily recommend this book to anyone who wants to automate the extraction of data from the web - follow Sean's guidance and you'll be productive sooner than you thought possible.
on 29 December 2014
Although the print date on my book is 2011/03/11
The content starts excellently showing how to use LWP to retrieve internet content.

However hardly any of the examples work anymore and there is no real update to this book, which can be very annoying.

Web development has moved on significantly and this book may have once been excellent but in today's world its not all that.
I would steer clear, the content needs a major revamp and some - it has the potential to be a great book again - All I can say is that it's it's a shame.

There must be other books you could buy instead.
on 1 August 2015
Informative with good working examples
on 11 August 2002