on 6 November 2013
As a fan of avaition not a fanatic i really enjoyed this book. Its the story of a mans 40 years in aviation all the highs and lows, for me fascinating, and i read much of this book on a 10 hour flight to Las vegas! This book is a mix of what it says on the tin, incidents, accidents and romantic attachments. very enjoyable.
on 28 December 2012
Anyone who has an interest in aviation should like this book apart from the professional aviators who will probably pick holes in it and find it boring. The book appears to be a novel based on fact and experience and it is British based, which makes it more interesting to us Brits. There is enough technical info about the aircraft and the flying without it becoming like a tech manual. The author has a nice easy to read style. It's not a gripping novel but nice to put down and pick up later. Each chapter is like a short story but it all fits together. I enjoyed the book.
on 24 January 2003
I turned page one with an open mind. Aviation leaves me cold. By the end of chapter one I was hooked. There's plenty of technical lingo in there for the areoliterary inclined, but I never once became bored by it. I'd even go so far as to say I learned a thing or two. This book follows the author through military training, passed years of interesting flying jobs, until he becomes the captain of the big commercial flights. It's funny, romantic, and interesting without being heavy. Reading 'Skytrucker' is like reading someone's personal diary and feeling as though you know the author by the final page. I wasn't sure about this book when I got it, but if I hadn't read it I'd have missed out on a cracking read.
on 22 April 2013
Allen takes us back to a time when pilots were real pilots and passengers were nervous!!
This is the guy I'd love to sit down with in a bar, buy him a few points and just to all night.
Once I started reading I really and honestly couldn't wait fir the next opportunity to carry on.
Well done Allen. Not bad for a "brat".
on 18 November 2002
I received my copy of Skytrucker this morning; I heard the letter flap and picked it up on my way to the bathroom.
Four chapters later there was a furious hammering on the bathroom door:
"Are you going to be in there all day? You'll be late for work."
The book sat on my passenger seat all the way to work and for the first time I was glad to encounter heavy traffic. I got as far as chapter seven and by lunchtime I had sneaked three more chapters in under the desk.
The writing style is easy and free flowing, the technical information is explained in such a way as to make me feel an equal and I was able to visualise many of the scenes, even April!
Allen’s life has not been a dull one and he has lived through some of the more tricky parts of the twentieth century as an active participant.
This is an interesting read, it doesn't pretend to be great literature, nor should it. Anyone who enjoys flying, aircraft or even sneaking a peep into anyone else's life should buy this book. I only hope that there is to be a follow up.
I could write more but I want to back to reading more about Skytrucker’s life and times.
on 27 June 2015
An interesting read, seeing the life of an aviator unfold from RAF during the cold war, to modern times. The progression of a pilot's life through an interesting and eventful time, well worth a read, I'm glad I chose this book.
on 22 February 2013
If you are mainly interested in flying , as I am , then there are some enjoyable chapters , although not always factually correct ,I'm thinking mainly of the crop spraying chapter. For me , too much of the book was spent telling us about his love life ; a whole chapter about one of his girlfriends ! I would have preferred a whole chapter on flying the CL44 but younger readers may enjoy the mix of flying and romance.
on 12 January 2003
Anybody who has ever gone to an airshow or jetted off on holiday and asked themselves what it's really like to sit in the cockpit and fly a plane is going to love this book. There are still a few professions left with mystique, where we have niggling doubts if the people engaged in them are ordinary human beings who eat, sleep and make love like ourselves. Surgeons, assassins and airline pilots would come high on this list, and Allen Murray's book serves to put our mind at rest in the case of the last example. It is a humourous, whimsical account of what the flying business is all about, from learning to fly to cropdusting to ferrying pasengers across the oceans to emergency landings to coping with tidal quantities of elephant urine in the cargo bay of an antiquated freighter. This is a book written by a man who loves aviation, who loves life, and for whom the two are in fact more or less the same. Entertaining, informative, hilarious and at times even inspiring. The man and the book are completely impossible to dislike. I hope this one is the first of many.
on 13 January 2003
This is a book that I would not normally have touched. I have very little interest in aviation. If I hadn't read this, I would have missed out on a cracking read. There's plenty in there for the avid plane hungry though, and surprisingly I didn't resent what Allen taught me about planes and flying. I know for instance that when you learn to land a plane safely you need a long table laced with beer, a strong stomach and no top attire. This book is written in a conversational way and autobiographically tracks the career of a young private wanting to fly. We follow him through the early years of his career, to him later becoming pilot of a huge commercial plane. There's romance ...several, humour and some charming interactions with some charming people ...and animals. Not one that I fancied on first glance but if this man of the skies releases another book in his earthed moments then I'll be buying it for sure.
on 28 January 2003
This book is not perfect! It'll never win the Booker! BUT it is a bloody good read! It is not the sort of book I would normally buy. In the tradition of James Herriot of old with all the vet stuff, Allen Murray introduces us to the world of flying and tells us more than we would ever think we'd need to know about it. I sucked it in greedily.
When the book arrived from Amazon. I nonchalantly left it sitting on a side table. The next day, I was sipping a cup of tea, and idly picked it up, not expecting much. The next thing I knew I was on Chapter 10, my wife was calling me, and my tea was cold! I finished it in two more sittings.
To borrow a phrase - Just Read It!