5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully real....., 25 Feb 2006
Ian Fox-williams (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into This World We're Thrown (Paperback)
After reading Desert Sons and becoming somewhat obsessed by the wonderful characterisation and bringing to life of the central characters Scott and Ryan, I had no choice but to get this sequel. After being introduced to the two teenagers and the rollercoaster of a ride that they experience in the early stages of their realtionship, we are re-introduced to the pair following their life changing summer and the beginning of their life together as a couple.
Once again the depth is addictive, and the insecurities suffered by Scott and Ryan are examined in much greater detail, their relationship seems destined to falter with what waits ahead of them. (I won't ruin it for you) Lets just say that where we left Ryan in the first book as regards his inner most feelings and doubts, these surface again with vengeance and threaten to blow apart the thing he cherishes the most - his love for Scott. In this sequel we also follow the journey of both the temptation and rejection that Scott must deal with if he is to remain with the first boy he has ever loved. The environment in which their relationship must survive changes too - the bubble in which they both inhabited over the summer has burst and now Scott must return to school, a place as we can guess has its own fair share of homophobic tyrants.
I described Desert Sons as fantastic in my review on here, this book does what all fans that of that book needed - answers to our questions about Ryan and a re-establishment of our faith that love can conquer all. A story we can all indentify with whether gay, straight or perhaps not quite sure, a book along with its prequel that can be read and enjoyed over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Jun 2006
Nat NI "Nathan" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into This World We're Thrown (Paperback)
I loved Desert Son's from the moment I picked it up. I couldn't wait to read the sequel and find out what happened to Scott and Ryan. The characters seemed so real to me. I could look back see how I was 10 years ago. I'm just sad that there isn't a third book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sequel to Desert Sons, 11 Mar 2008
R. L. Judd (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into This World We're Thrown (Paperback)
This is the sequel to 'Desert Sons' and picks up the story of Ryan and Scott several weeks after the first novel left off.

Just like with Desert Sons, I struggled through the early chapters. The story hangovers (Scott coming out to his Dad, Ryan's open acceptence of his sexuality) were quickly resolved in the first handful of pages. Once done, Scott and Ryan were seemingly sidelined as new characters (with detailed histories) were introduced - Preston, Casey, Joe... This was quite a turnaround since 'Desert Sons' also exclusively centred on the two leads and their interactions. In fact, Ryan fails to surface fully in the story until almost a third of the way through.

It was interesting though that, whereas Ryan had been the centre point for 'Desert Sons', Scott was the primary focus in the follow-up. That was an interesting twist by the author. However, I feel that the overall feel of the novel suffered due to the loss of the boys central relationship and the climatic finale was expected from the outset (what was was the big, homophobic badboy with attitude expected to do when he was introduced to us early on except try to kill one of the lads?).

I also didn't like the fact that suddenly the story was set in 1991, whereas no reference to the date year had been mentioned in the first book. As a reader, your imagination is always that the events are current and then, suddenly being told that its 15 years past and that the characters will have moved on since detracted a little from the nicely rounded ending (or is it just me that feels that?).

Once again though, despite initial reservations, I enjoyed the story and feel that it concluded well and ended as all good love stories should. However, I would definately recommend that you read 'Desert Sons' first before picking up this book. Although the author claims that it can be read alone, alot of the past events mentioned will be lost and not understood which could effect the overall feel of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites. Tender and realistic., 26 Feb 2007
This review is from: Into This World We're Thrown (Paperback)
Slightly darker than its predecessor, this second in the series about Scott and Ryan traces the consequences of their coming out to family and friends. Scott has always been happy in his skin and coming out, while difficult, is what he wants to do. For, Ryan, who has been hurt by a damaging earlier relationship, even admitting to being gay is difficult. His complex personality gets in the way of the growing love between the two guys and Scott seeks refuge in the arms of a hot but exploitative schoolfriend.
Both Scott and Ryan have to confront homophobia in its pathetic and dangerous forms. They also have to discover trust and truth.
Mark Kendrick's skill is in his ability to get under the skin of these two late teenagers as they discover the overwhelming power of their sexual attraction for each other; to convey to the reader the erotic charge that sparks between them, but also to portray the travails of their growing maturity, as well as the ultimate triumph of their love.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Desert Sons Return!, 6 Mar 2002
This review is from: Into This World We're Thrown (Paperback)
I loved Mark Kendrick's debut novel, Desert Sons, and can't wait for the impending release of his first science fiction novel! Still, I was surprised and happy to learn of his plans to first write a sequel to Desert Sons. Though I found the ending of the original completely satisfying, it also left some open possibilities that this book explores.
While Desert Sons deftly handles the difficult and sometimes dangerous coming out process of young lovers Ryan and Scott, the sequel finds that lingering tensions remain, while new challenges continue to surface. Infidelity, jealousy, town gossip, and buried feelings threaten to destroy their relationship. Worse yet, the threat of violence looms constantly in their lives.
Fans of Desert Sons will surely cherish this conclusion to its story-lines. However, I also suggest it to fans of gay teen "coming out" movies like Beautiful Thing, Get Real, Boy's Life, and Edge of Seventeen. In fact, Kendrick's first two novels would both make great movies themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Feb 2008
This review is from: Into This World We're Thrown (Paperback)
A bit apprehensive that this wouldn't be as good as "Desert Sons" but no worries, it is just as brilliant. I would give both books 10 stars if I could. Buy it today - you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still fighting for their love, 9 May 2014
I like this book because it shows that every relationship has problems, Ryan and Sam have new challenges in this book. They still love each other but you get to really see if love is enough to keep them together. This is a bit shorter than the first one in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed, 14 Nov 2013
I enjoyed the first novel bet even more the sequel. Mark builds his characters well and the 'therapy' sessions were excellent and I speak as a trained therapist with lots of years experience

Into This World We're Thrown
Into This World We're Thrown by Mark Kendrick (Paperback - 1 Jan 2002)
12.84