4.0 out of 5 stars I do love a Jack Reacher/Lee Child book
Published 19 days ago by Miss C M V Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Personal
Published 20 days ago by nickyb

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Personal, 3 Sep 2014
Love all the Reacher books except one and now I think two. Somehow this story failed to click or even really to run true. Started off brilliantly and I was settling down to another great Lee Child move. But once Reacher went to the UK it all rather lost direction, immediacy, excitement and mystery. Became run of the mill. Child failed to develop the characters properly. He also failed to put in the twists and turns that made all his other books excellent. Take a deep breath Mr a Child, keep Reacher in the US, and return Jack to us.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time For A Rest, 5 Sep 2014
J. E. Parry "Jeff Parry" (Pontypool, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am a big Reacher fan. I have read every book and they have been one of the most look forward to events of the year. Unfortunaterly something has broken. In reality I think they have been hit and miss since 61 Hours. However even an average Reacher has been entertaining, just not at the same level.

Personal has ended that run.

I have found this hard to maintain interest in. The story should have been more gripping than it was. The pace has been much slower than usual and with little of the action and adventure you normally expect. This will sound like heresy to many of the other Reacher Creatures but maybe it's time for a rest. Time for Lee Child to try something else and regain his vision and re-hone his skills.

Another problem is that he has become so successful that there are now imitators aplenty. Therefore Reacher has begun to lose his unique selling point.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please bring back the original Jack Reacher!, 7 Sep 2014
Very disappointing! I feel sad that the great Jack Reacher character has gone from being an interesting laconic lone drifter, to an International CRUISE missile.The storyline was very poor and seemed contrived to attract Hollywood interest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough - just, 14 Sep 2014
I am struggling to recall details of the plot even though I read it only last week! I know Essex features somewhere along with an oversize villain, plenty of rough stuff, the requisite female side kick and the predictable ending. Sadly after 19 Reacher books Reacher needs to move on, grow up, settle down or be killed. OK maybe not the latter as that would disappoint too many people. The formula is tried and tested ( no spoilers here) and in the early books worked superbly but the more recent books have failed to engage. I am not sure if this is because Lee Child has become tired of Reacher and is struggling with ideas as to how to develop the character or whether it is because the political landscape against which the books are written has changed over time and he no longer appears such an attractive character. The rootless, possession free but on the side of right character portayed at the start of the series now looks disafffected and somewhat shallow. It was a good enough read -just- and I will probaly read the next but my enthusiasm and interest is definitely on the wane....................

1.0 out of 5 stars Ghost written?, 3 Sep 2014
MARTIN CLAYTON "cruedo" (Summer Wine Country, West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've read all the Reacher books and, as usual, looked forward to this but it was poor. I skimmed a lot of it as it was boring and implausible. What was all the rubbish on the bowling green? If someone told me Lee Child didn't write this, I'd believe them. Poor

1.0 out of 5 stars latest Reacher out of steam, 4 Sep 2014
An average plot with a small twist at the end. It is as if lee child is feeling very very very tired when he starts writing but somehow manages to get to the end. The choice of location for the action is London and there are dozens of similar stories set in uk cities that have more narrative drive and panache than this tired old Reacher character., a huge shame. The editors should have been ruthless in suppressing this damp squib.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pause A Beat - Don't Bother With This One!, 8 Sep 2014
I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this latest Jack Reacher novel is so bad it's just not worth your time or money. It took me more than a week to struggle through this tedious tale, speed reading at times and just skipping pages of boring, boring narrative. In doing so I know I missed nothing of importance in this flabby and lacklustre tale. What has happened to Lee Child, perhaps he is just out of ideas as this one comes nowhere near his earlier stuff? I was a big fan who pre-ordered this book months ago in the hope and expectation that Jack would somehow redeem himself. Well, in my opinion he has failed dismally.
In a wholly implausible tale of snipers on the loose and a G8 conference in their sights the story takes Jack to Europe with an attractive young CIA agent in tow with a conviction that the man he wants is someone Jack sent down years before. The main action takes place in and around London, described laughably, though appropriately, through American eyes but somehow it just doesn't work and I found I was becoming irritated not only by the repetitive language but also by the extraordinary characters who inhabit this book. A 7ft villain with fingers the size of a coke can - so large that he is unable to pull the trigger on any hand held weapon! Really...........don't bother!

2.0 out of 5 stars Well below the standard of the early Jack Reacher books!, 20 Sep 2014
Jimmy C (Fareham Hants) - See all my reviews
I always used to look forward to the next Jack Reacher adventure but the last few books have been a poor imitation of the early stories.

The latest in the series, "Personal", starts off OK but soon loses it's way and lost my interest as well. Sad to say, it became very boring and I couldn't wait to finish it.

For the last few years, I have been reading the Gabriel Alon spy/assassin series of books by Daniel Silva which I find far more exciting, realistic and a damn good read.

Quite honestly, I lost respect for Lee Child when he approved the casting of Tom Cruise in the film "Jack Reacher" (who is also due to star in the sequel "Never Go Back"). Wouldn't Jason Statham have "measured up" to the role far better than the diminutive Mr.Cruise?

Sadly, it now seems that Mr.Child is writing to order for his publishers rather than his fans and is bereft of new ideas.

P.S. If you haven't already tried it, read "I Am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes, without doubt, one of the best books of the past 5 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars It sells Jack reacher short, 6 Sep 2014
I had waited a few months for this having pre ordered it back in April. I am sad to say that it wasn't really worth the wait. I read my first Jack Reacher book about 12 months ago and then felt compelled to read the the other 17. I would have give 5 starts to all of the preceding 18 books in this series and I really can't put my finger on what this one is lacking. Don't get me wrong, this is my rating based on my having read the earlier books in the Reacher series and it may well work as a stand alone read for you. There is just something with this book doesn't work. Maybe it is down to the fact that this story is based more in the UK and not in Reachers home country (America) where he drifts from state to state. As a UK reader I enjoy the journeys as Reacher is very good at describing rural and urban America. Romford just doesn't conjure up the same mystique. Perhaps the fact that Reacher was created by an English Author and our hero is an American unfamiliar with England compels the author to over egg it.

The story moves from the US to Paris to London and starts with the possibility of three potential assassins working together, or alone to assisinate one or more of the worlds leaders at a conference in the UK. A couple of the characters just seemed to be there to pad out a thin plot as we soon find out that two of them are dead so we are back at square one with our main suspect. Reacher has a Russian and a UK counterpart who drop in and out of the story in fact the most intriguing one drops out very early on. So we then find ourselves in England but to be host it could have been anywhere.

Now in England our leading villain is a caricature of a London gangster. Apparently a huge man who is an enforcer for two stereotypical Ronnie and Reggie type characters. Our giant heads up a crew called the 'Romford Boys'. I am sorry to say they may as well have been called the 'Bash Street Kids'. The not so gentle giant lives in an over scaled house and Reachers description of the interior was overworked to the point of being annoying. When Reacher describes this man I couldn't get the image of a cross between the BFG and Shrek out of my head. Believe me Reacher is my hero but this was a fusion of Jack and the Beanstalk and the Borrowers. I can see how this would work for non UK readers who themselves are not familiar with the territory or the 60's / 70'stype London gangsters. All we seem to be missing is a pearly king and queen and The Sweeney for a full set (Sweeney = Cockney rhyming slang used for the Metropolitan Police Flying Squad and a very popular Television series in the UK for the benefit of non UK readers. Jack Reacher meets Jack Reagan. That would have been more credible) Well the Sweeney are not around any more so lets throw some Eastern Block gangsters in to the mix. That just seemed to predictable. I am sort of flapping around here to try and get a grip of why this doesn't work and I think there is just too much going on, too many characters who don't justify their presence.

Reachers companion is a vulnerable, pill popping US government employee who frankly, didn't evoke any sympathy or empathy. Reacher normally has a strong female character in his stories and the sexual tension and banter between them is all part of the enjoyment. With this one you wanted her to get over herself and the old Reacher would have told her so. She is weak and could have been anyone. Her addiction to pills seems to have been thrown in to make her more interesting but she may as well not have been there. She doesn't bottle it at the end and proves her worth by saving Jacks life. Well we never saw that one coming, honestly.

This could have been a short story and to be honest it should have been because I wouldn't have read it. Every other book I have read by Lee Child has been bought for around the £3.50 mark. Maybe that's it. I paid £8 + for this and it was only worth £3.50 That said even then I would have felt short changed having waited so long for it.

Please do not let this review put you off any of the other 18 in the series. They are great. I just feel sorry for Jack Reacher as he has been sold short. Lee Child must up his game for the next one as I fear that Jack Reacher will be like the comic act that does one season too many and is playing to empty seats.

4.0 out of 5 stars I do love a Jack Reacher/Lee Child book, 4 Sep 2014
I do love a Jack Reacher/Lee Child book. This one is as good an offering as usual. It has a big plot, a great change of scenery (Paris/Essex) and some humorous moments as Child writes offering a foreign perspective on his own homeland through Reacher's American eyes. This leads to some good observational stuff though the line 'what the locals call' does get repeated a bit. Dialogue is a bit sparsely signed, I had to re read to figure out who was saying certain things since some of the characters seem to have started talking very much like Reacher. If you haven't read this series before you could start with any one of the 19 books but the earlier ones have the best magic. Reacher had more passion then and seemed to want to save the world. In this outing he seems to put in a performance merely because he has nothing better to do. I think as a character he is best when he feels some real moral outrage. But nonetheless this is still better than just about everything else that hits the thriller shelves.

Personal (Jack Reacher 19)
Personal (Jack Reacher 19) by Lee Child (Hardcover - 28 Aug 2014)