4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome change
Review

When I first heard about this book I looked up the author, there were some fantastic review, Chemistry of death stood out. I had to have a copy of the book and review it, i want to change my review pile to include more crime fiction.

Published 10 months ago by Parm

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
love his earlier work, so disappointed with this book, a very slow read.
Published 1 month ago by Karina Brosnan

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome change, 31 Jan 2014
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Hardcover)
Review

Then i got the premise for the book, and i thought…Noooooooo September (at Transworld) has conned me, this is something else, this talk of a great book is all fluff to get me to read it, what is she doing to me, this is Sooooooo not my sort of book. But she was wonderfully kind enough to send me a copy and approve my net galley request, i could not let her down.

So with a heavy heart i started reading, and was instantly lost in the book. In one short evening i had read nearly half the book. I still am not sure what it was that drew me in and enveloped me in the book. The characters were so real, it was like being sat with a childhood friend as he spills out his tale of a summer gone wrong. The descriptions of France were not your classic scenes, There was no holiday romance, there was pain, fear, uncertainty, threats, hard work and reflection, and i think it was that reflection that caught me. That sudden stop of the merry go round of life, an escape from all your troubles and letting time stand still, at least until finally the clock is wound again and time starts a fresh.

The book isn’t full of surprises, i could usually spot what came next, but i don’t think its meant to hide or surprise, but to convey an odd twisted normality, that whilst the main characters issues are on hold the French families troubles still continue, in fact are exacerbated by his presence, culminating in time restarting and Seans return to the real world

absolutely everything about this book screams that i will not like it, and yet i loved it. a wonderful book that i finished before i wanted to.

I shall be reading more by this author

(Parm)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT pigswill, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Paperback)
This is the first time I have read this author and I was impressed.
It is a clever book in that the reader can choose how deeply to read into the events. Its hard to describe but upon reading it hopefully you understand what I am getting at.
The jist is Sean a twenty something brit is fleeing something, we know not what and he ends up in very rural France in a blistering summer. An accident befalls him and incapacitated he is taken in and cared at a farm.
This suits Sean as he takes the time and opportunity to come to terms with what he is running from. We are fed his past by a series of short interspersed chapters.
Sean is offered work on the farm and stays on. The tyranical farmer being the only one who has issues with his presence as his daugters compete for Seans affections in their own ways.
In the background there are mysteries about this farming family which start to emerge. Like why are they shunned by the local village and what happened to one of the daughters most recent boyfriends.
The book is beautifully written in respect of goings on in the french countryside. The psychological aspects are cleverly paced and introduced expertly.
Matters come to head and we are treat to a few startling revelations.
I note from other reviewers that this is not the normal output for the author but readers of his previous offerings should not be put off. They should consider this book in its own right.
I for one heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 22 Sep 2014
C. Hartley (Southport, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Kindle Edition)
Everyone is saying this book is totally different from Simon's other books-I disagree, the qualities that make Simon's books so enjoyable are all here. The main character is likeable, the description of the setting makes it come to life, the story fills you with suspense and intrigue, and great twists at the end. I really good book that i couldn't put down. Another brilliant story by Simon Beckett....please don't take so long to write your next one!

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 29 Oct 2014
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Kindle Edition)
love his earlier work, so disappointed with this book, a very slow read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 12 May 2014
B. Barlow (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Kindle Edition)
Having read all his other books I just couldn't wait to read this latest one,I have to say I was very disappointed with it,it's not a patch on his other books if it wasn't for the descriptive writing I would not have believed it was by the same author.I suggest you read his earlier books they are far better (just my opinion)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow great, 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Kindle Edition)
What a great book I loved it could not put it down 3 nights is all it took can't wait to read another from this great author

5.0 out of 5 stars Very different and very good, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Kindle Edition)
I don't to say too much as it could spoil things. The story starts in the middle and slowly fills in the first half. As usual with Simon Beckett the end is dramatic and unexpected. Different from the David Hunter novels. Very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long time coming but worth the wait, 16 May 2014
Mike Dolphin "Mikey D" (Tamworth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Kindle Edition)
Absorbing from word one to word last. Slight departure from Simon's natural genre,but nevertheless completely compelling,particularly the little nuggets of flashback. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grabs Your Attention and Holds Your Interest Throughout, 12 May 2014
Paul Hutson (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Kindle Edition)
A great writer who's descriptions of people and places colour the imagination wonderfully. This was a great read from beginning to end although after quite a long, descriptive middle bit rushed to its conclusion and it was all over quite quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars stone roses, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Stone Bruises (Hardcover)
absolutely brilliant book. would definitely recommend. I have read all the other books that Simon Beckdt has written and look forward to the next book

Stone Bruises
Stone Bruises by Simon Beckett (Hardcover - 30 Jan 2014)