4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift
I mainly bought this book because it's so PRETTY! A lovely hardback edition made to look old, with lovely thick glossy pages.

Published 6 months ago by Jennifer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but left me wanting more.
I'm a real bookaholic & buy lots of second hand books, so I thought this book would be a fascinating read. I don't quite know what I expected really, but thought there would be more depth to it.
Published 13 months ago by Liverbird54

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift, 5 Aug. 2014
Jennifer (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dedicated to...: The Forgotten Friendships, Hidden Stories and Lost Loves found in Second-hand Books (Hardcover)

I love dedications in books, unfortunately I have only received one myself (from a dog!), so I was really looking forward to reading dedications others have received. I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I'd read the books that were dedicated - I think context was needed in some of them, so knowing the contents of the book would have enlightened me as to the meaning of the dedication.

All in all a beautiful book that would make an excellent gift for a bibliophile, especially if you dedicate it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but left me wanting more., 4 Feb. 2014
It's such a good concept & I expected to love it, but in fact I found some of the inscriptions boring & not worthy of being in this book at all... Of course, some were very moving & I do wonder, as the author did, as to why these books were ever given away!
I finished the whole book in a couple of hours & was left feeling quite dissatisfied, but as a friend pointed out, I don't like short stories, & I do like to get my teeth into a really long book, so maybe that's why!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT READ, 5 Dec. 2013
I bought this book as a birthday present for my daughter, she loved it so much that I read it when she was finished, we are both devotees of charity shops where we buy a lot of books, we often commented on some of the inscriptions in them and thought how poignant it was finding a book whose inscription showed it as a school prize for someone fifty or more years ago should end up in that particular charity shop.
A wonderful book and a great credit to the author for coming up with the idea.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, wanting expansion., 6 Jan. 2014
I did enjoy this book and read it before giving it to a friend for Xmas, knowing it would be 'something different'. The compiler - not author - has sought out copies of quality books that have inscriptions inside them. It's a nice idea, to select books for that purpose. Indeed, reading through you do wonder about the 'forgotten friendships' and 'hidden stories' but, disappointingly, you have to make these up for yourself. There is no further information. If only we could have the more taxing collecting haul, the background behind the inscription. That would be a wonderful piece of research and read. Sometimes this is possible in museums where such letters, notes and books have been collected together. But I ask a lot. Even so, as a read, it has only a temporary hold on the interest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift for a Bookworm, 15 Dec. 2013
If you've got a friend like mine that has read all the books under the sun and you're fed up with getting them gift vouchers for more books every Christmas and birthday then I'd recommend this book as a little gift for them.
It's a nice idea and hopefully she'll find it interesting to see some of the things people have left in their books. Don't forget to put your own message for your friend in there though.
I skimmed through and some people's handwritten is atrocious! It would have been nice if they put a typed translation in but maybe that's part of the fun?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Feb. 2014
Amanda (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This is such a lovely book, I bought it for my Daughter but to be honest I couldn't wait until she had finished with it so I could have a good read. I would definately reccomend. We later also bought Letters of Note which was also a brilliant book some of the letters are so touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely fascinating, 11 May 2014
I've always loved books about books and this is a fine one. Personal, private stories hinted at in the inscriptions in books. Beautifully designed and produced too. I've kept one myself, and given several to friends. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and slightly voyeuristic...., 19 Dec. 2013
The concept here is very simple and brilliantly executed... Gooderham lays out the inscriptions he has found in second hand books he has purchased ..... That's it..... That's all..... And yet..... The layout has the facsimile inscription with a bit of background and you cannot help contemplating who bought the book, what were they thinking when they wrote the inscription (some are quite beautiful) and why did the person get rid of the book.... Had they read it.... A lovely gift for a book lover....

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant idea, 20 Feb. 2014
lovely book to dip into......I love poking around in second hand book shops and have myself read some amazing inscriptions......what a lovely idea to publish them - more please......

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas pressie, 19 Jan. 2014
May friend ( a big book fan ) was thrilled to be given this book a s a little gift for Christmas