Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 September 2014
Definately one of the best books I've read in the last 5 years. You'll find a range of short stories of human sacrifice, endurance and 'true grit' contained within. Some of these stories, you may well have read before, but I've found that more often than not, there's always something you didn't know - and this book doesn't disappoint. I usually only find time to read books to and from work, and as a result, it's taken me around a month to finally go from cover to cover. It could definately have contained a few more stories, as I believe if I had read it from start to finish I would probably have been done in just under a week.

Highly recommended, and if anyone else knows of any similar books on Amazon, give us your thoughts. I'm sure we could all do with some recommendations after finishing this gem.
on 6 October 2014
There are elements to this book which are truly fantstic; but then there are stories which all seem to meld into one; mainly the mountaineering and arctic chapters. There are only so many times you can read about a man climbing a mountain only for 'bad' weather to descend...
But I must admit reading the chapters on Louis Zamperini, Nando Parrado, Tommy Macpherson, Nancy Wake & Juliane Koepcke to be truly inspiring.
I would see this book as more of a reference for further reading since the majority of these people have their own biographies which will probably go into more depth on their ordeals than what Bear could possibly write.
on 11 February 2014
Unbelievable, but true real stories of survival.
This book is eye poppingly breath taking, told well by Bear Grylls, hard to stomach the feats of endurance & hardship let alone the pain these people suffered.
You'll definitely be reading to the end. Some of the things they went through though makes you wonder why! when lots of them put themselves in the position they were in, I for one won't be going anywhere near the arctic/Antarctic, and all for what?
Well worth a read, the stories are all a nice length, which is good as you can come back to.
Recommended
on 9 June 2014
This book never gets boring and each story is condensed perfectly. Would recommend to anyone who requires a dose of motivation. Good work Bear.
on 27 December 2013
Love Bear's grit, he is truly an insprstion. Love a man with some backbone ... and he has lots of it
on 25 October 2013
Sometimes in life we get hit by things difficult to understand, and it is only by having courage and that resilience that we get through. The people in this book experienced horrors far worse then many of us will ever see, but their never say die attitude is something we can all learn from. To keep going, to keep hopeful, to never quit these are lessons in life that all of us need to hear.
For the budding adventurer to the entrepreneur by staring insurmountable odds in the face and walking away it will always leave us better humans. Each story is easy enough to read in a quick time and although some may leave a bad taste in your mouth (eating human flesh! drinking Camel urine!) the way these people kept going is inspiring. Here is to the spirit of living life in your own way!
on 21 March 2014
Reading this book has given me the opportunity to learn of unimaginable feats of courage, determination, sheer guts and willpower. Each and every story in this book demonstrates what human beings are capable of (the good and the not so good). It is absorbing from start to finish and I think Bear Grylls did a great job of telling the stories of the heroes - both remembered and forgotten - in True Grit. 4 out of 5 stars, would recommend this to any one interested in stories of survival and heroism.
on 1 February 2014
Amazing accounts of real life bravery and heroism ,I would recommend this book very interesting it makes you feel how lucky we are
on 20 March 2014
This is a good book in general. Some of the stories get a bit tedious with the same elements of survival and "grit" in there. However there are a few stories in this book that really jump off the page and make you skworm and what they had to do to survive. I have had a look in to some of the survivors of these tales and even purchased a few of the mentioned books as i want to know more of there endeavors.
on 24 September 2014
Very good inspiring read. I quote some stories to scouts on hikes who are thinking of quitting. The one about the girl who fell out of a plane 2 miles up strapped to a chair into dense jungle and her struggle to survive always puts things into perspective and helps them find that extra push they didn't think they had to complete